Priest tells anti-Trump protesters to commit suicide

nypost.com/2017/01/30/priest-tells-anti-trump-protesters-to-commit-suicide/

The pastor of a largely immigrant Catholic church in Queens has a suggestion for his anti-Trump parishioners: Go take a flying leap off the nearest building.

“Show your hate for Trump. Do it for social justice. #JumpAgainstTrump,” read a meme posted by the Rev. Philip Pizzo just hours after he celebrated Sunday Mass.

I have not been here for YEARS, but I’m slowly coming back. Noticed this and knew I had to post this.

Personally, I think this is beyond the pale. Anger has taken over everything in this country. What was the priest thinking? :shrug:

More information at the link. Comments welcome. :slight_smile:

Just like that priest a couple of weeks ago that wore that women’s march hat during mass implying his support of the pro-abortion protests, this priest should know better than to say things like this. Even for a layperson it’s a pretty lame joke, but for a priest, I have to wonder just what he was thinking?

What?

Regardless of one’s political views, this is very wrong to say, especially for a priest.

The priest obviously did not mean it to be to actually kill yourself. He noted it was satirical. It was in very poor taste in my opinion and it seems all was done that could be after the sad fact to correct the situation as noted in the article and paragraph clipped below from the original post. For that I am thankful.

**A rep for the Diocese of Brooklyn said the post does not reflect the church’s stance and has been removed.
“Father Pizzo did share the meme in question on his personal Facebook page,” said diocese spokesman Vito Formica.
“He says he intended it as satire only, regrets the offense it has caused and has deleted it. This post does not, in any way, represent the view of the church.”

I don’t think I will take the advice.

As a priest, he is held to a higher standard than the rest of us. Whatever his personal convictions are, he should express them charitably and remember that he is alter Christus. Christ would never command anyone to commit a mortal sin, which is what suicide is, even in jest. :frowning:

That was my parish growing up. :eek:

Yes it was satirical and yes he should not have posted it. Like there was that meme that was going around during the woman’s march “In one day Trump got more fat women walking than Michelle Obama did in 8 years.” I am not going to lie, it hit my sarcasm and irony buttons and I laughed, probably more than the joke deserved. But I knew better than to repost or share it (especially since while it was funny, I don’t particularly agree with the meme and its mode of expression, “fat women” and I didn’t want to be put in a position of defending a meme that really couldn’t be defended. :blush:

Going too far in either direction is still going too far. This priest should have been much more prudent, while still clearly and loudly proclaiming the truth.

People who should know better seem to be rather imprudent these days, especially with social media. It’s a shame.

I think everyone needs to relax! My goodness… People are people. Nobody is perfect, priest’s included.
So it was maybe in bad taste. I’m not going to sit in judgement. I have said and still say some pretty hateful things sometimes.
Personally I think the whole dang world needs to take a vacation right now. Lol

:thumbsup:

This article (thanks for posting, and I mean that) is ridiculous on many levels.

First, if the idea of this jump off a building is a joke, it’s done in poor taste. It may have been just that, and really, just because someone retweets a meme doesn’t mean they take it seriously. Still a priest should probably know better and it’s important for all us to understand that suicide is now part of the culture of death.

Secondly, it’s not just anger that’s taken over. It’s this me-first, whose-me, I’m a poor victim, pity me by posting my flag on your facebook profile so we can cry together on-line country.

Third, where was this when Father Pfleger was doing his impression of Hillary Clinton at Jeremiah Wright’s Church in 2008? I’d love to cite someone on this besides Sean Hannity and a leaked tape, but that’s basically the only folks were interested in reporting on this during Obama’s time under the sun.

The divisions evident in our society are intruding into every aspect of our lives. Battle lines are drawn and I do not see any solutions on the horizon. Since those on both sides seem content to continue to fan the flames, I just wonder how long before this country divides physically along ideological lines. A Balkan solution may be in our future.
As to the Priest in question, he should know better!

Here you go: churchmilitant.com/news/article/michigan-priest-wears-puy-hat-while-saying-mass

So we have 2 Priests acting foolishly.

We certainly do live in interesting times.

I believe that’s a Chinese curse.

I see priests aren’t immune to Facebook a faux pax.

I agree with you on all three points. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just asking…would you feel the same if the situation was reversed and an anti-Trump priest put a meme on Facebook suggesting pro-Trump people should jump off buildings?

And no, I do not know your political persuasion.

Just asking. Because to me and most others, this is wrong if done on ANY side. :confused::frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.