Priest uses toy gun, superhero chasuble in Mass

Dear me…just found this on CNN:

cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/world/2013/02/27/pkg-romo-mexico-superhero-priest.cnn

Certainly these practices would be frowned upon with church authorities? To think I see it as being somewhat out of common that our priest uses a brush to sprinkle water…

I would have to expect this revelation would get Fr. in trouble in the Bishop? Certainly these aren’t licit?

I think this is more than poor taste--although it is also that--it is illicit taste, if you understand what I mean. It is such poor taste that it shouldn't even be humanly possible to have such taste. Yes, I have to make the socially required concession that this was probably done with good intentions etc. But good intentions never excuse an act in itself. Surely there are better ways to catechize small boys and girls.

About the brush thing, brushes have been and are used to sprinkle water. In fact, this is probably the more historical method. It is quite traditional to use a brush of hyssop.

I think he misunderstood when someone told him to go "get a biretta". :D

EDIT: Seemed like a stupid joke actually. The joke was that he had a toy gun and he thought that he was being told to get a b*e*retta

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is the third time I've seen videos of priest's using a toy water canon gun filled with Holy Water to spray his congregation.

Extremely poor taste. Makes the sacredness of the Holy Water look like a laughable joke.
Not your traditional aspergillum. Didn't like the priest's superman chausable either. Good Gosh:(

Are these young people learning about the holiness of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass???

vomit worthy- this is a disgusting abuse of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.... spraying holy water from a toy gun? his chasuble looked like a costume. what is this, Bozo the clowns fun emporium? even if he is doing it to get the crowd "pumped up" it is still **terribly **wrong. Faith isn't all about feeling good and being happy. sometimes it is boring and hard. thats why it is a cross to bear. there is joy too of course. but could you honestly see Jesus ever doing or approving this? hopefully if you're in your right mind, the answer is no. this is what happens when people do their own thing. had Vatican II been followed the way it was supposed to, none of this garbage would happen. or if the latin mass was more widespread, this also wouldn't occur. such a shame..... but what can you do? :shrug:

playtime

Saint Bernadette, please pray for him.
Our Lady of Lourdes please hear our prayers.

Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy

[quote="mburn16, post:1, topic:316620"]
Dear me.....just found this on CNN:

cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/world/2013/02/27/pkg-romo-mexico-superhero-priest.cnn

Certainly these practices would be frowned upon with church authorities? To think I see it as being somewhat out of common that our priest uses a brush to sprinkle water...

I would have to expect this revelation would get Fr. in trouble in the Bishop? Certainly these aren't licit?

[/quote]

:banghead::banghead::banghead::bigyikes::tsktsk:
I can't find words for this... liberal theology at it worst... anything goes... :(:(:mad:

Thats embarrassing that something like that would happen in a Catholic liturgy (of all places) Really, how does this stuff keep on happening? Clown masses and now shooting holy water at people?

No, I’m not a fan of this, but I don’t think it is the worst thing either. It’s definetly not the worst thing I’ve witnessed a priest do. At least he has a full Church for Mass and the kids look forward to attending Mass. Quite unorthodox, but as I stayed before I’ve seen worse. We had a priest here that NEVER said the Creed and had several homilies about “responsible parenthood,” AKA limiting family sizes.

Cute.

There are some who will applaud this priest for getting butts in the pews and for being
"relevant". One of the reasons I support the catholic church is because it does not try to be "relevant", like so many protestant churches. The superhero chasuble and a water gun
take a way from the dignity and solemnity of mass. :bigyikes:

[quote="october_baby, post:14, topic:316620"]
There are some who will applaud this priest for getting butts in the pews and for being
"relevant". One of the reasons I support the catholic church is because it does not try to be "relevant", like so many protestant churches. The superhero chasuble and a water gun
take a way from the dignity and solemnity of mass. :bigyikes:

[/quote]

I don't think "relevant" is the problem. "Relevance" is good. Because religion is relevant, and I think we can make Worship relevant without compromising its dignity.

The line between "relevance" and "stupidity" is not THAT thin...

I feel very sorry for this priest. He is denigrating the Mass with his antics. Increased attendance does not justify demeaning the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. One day he’ll look up and his parish will be emptier than ever before. Fads have no staying power. He should be ashamed of himself. So should his bishop.

On the other hand there is absolutely no reason why he couldn’t incorporate some of his shtick before or after Mass during a coffee social but during the Mass? Absolutely not.

A truly creative and caring priest would find a way to attract the faithful without making a mockery of the Mass. How about a pre-Mass Bible study for kids that artfully works in some of his act? I think that would be great.

I would bet dollars to dimes that in 25 years those kids shown in the video will NO LONGER be going to Mass – nor will their kids and that’s the true test of what he is doing. I suspect this priest will no longer be active either…

[quote="MrTheosis, post:16, topic:316620"]
I feel very sorry for this priest. He is denigrating the Mass with his antics. Increased attendance does not justify demeaning the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. One day he'll look up and his parish will be emptier than ever before. Fads have no staying power. He should be ashamed of himself. So should his bishop.
On the other hand there is absolutely no reason why he couldn't incorporate some of his shtick before or after Mass during a coffee social** but during the Mass? Absolutely not.

A truly creative and caring priest would find a way to attract the faithful without making a mockery of the Mass. How about a pre-Mass Bible study for kids that artfully works in some of his act? I think that would be great.

I would bet dollars to dimes that in 25 years those kids shown in the video will NO LONGER be going to Mass -- nor will their kids and that's the true proof of what he is doing. I suspect this priest will no longer be active either...

[/quote]

Yes!

I am amazed that no one has said something like "oh, the fruits of the 'novus ordo mass'" or "if only they had a tlm."

I hope this video does not become part of the standard library (along with the supposed cheese head mass and polka mass) referred to when the OF Mass-haters try to attack it.

Truly sad.

While this is definitely not the worst liturgical abuse I have heard of, it is definitely not one of the most mild abuses either. Personally I find it hard to believe that his bishop approves of what he is doing.

[quote="georget, post:9, topic:316620"]
Saint Bernadette, please pray for him.
Our Lady of Lourdes please hear our prayers.

Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy

[/quote]

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.