Priest walking me down the aisle

I have lost my dad when i was 14 years old. Since then, and given the fact that i don’t have a good relationship with my mother, nor do i have any other family members, the priest of my church kinda raised me like a daughter. He is always there for me and he says that he truly sees me like the daughter he never had.
I want him to walk me down the aisle. Do you think it’s possible? would it be weird for him since he also has to celebrate the wedding?

I think it would be weird :two::copyright:

Being walked down the aisle is a cultural thing, but not really a Catholic thing.

It would be most appropriate if you and your groom processed in, either together or sequentially, following the priest or deacon, and other attendants and servers. Because the celebrant (which the two of you will be) always comes in last.
:two::copyright:

The usual thing, in my experience, is for the groom’s father to take the place of the bride’s father if he is unavailable for whatever reason. But it would be a question of which is the socially acceptable alternative in the place where you live. As @Titivillus said, it isn’t a Catholic thing. It’s a cultural thing.

Actually, in a Catholic wedding, the bride and groom process in together. They are freely giving themselves to one another. While Bishops the world over have winked at adopting the Anglican/Protestant bridal procession, that is not ideal.

This video explains it:

It would be better just my personal opinion, if you and the groom met at the entrance and walked down together.

The faithful would be confused by the significance of such an odd ceremony.

I suggest you talk to him about the professional. In the current rite, it calls for the bride and groom to process together.

My dad had also died years before my wedding. I just walked down the aisle by myself.

I agree that it is a little weird to think of the priest walking the bride down the aisle and then performing the wedding. If a priest was your relative, like brother or uncle, I could see him walking you down the aisle IF a different priest was officiating at the wedding. But in this case, it’s the same priest officiating and he’s not your relative.

If he is willing to do that, then he may certainly do that. Though uncommon, this is not prohibited. Indeed, the priest must come into the celebration in some manner. Why not the one you suggest?

Protestant example:

My childhood Pastor co-officiated his daughter’s wedding. He walked her down the aisle, gave her away, and then switched places with the other co-officiant.

Two things: 1. he was her biological father. 2. I don’t know if the rubrics of the nuptial mass would allow something like this.

I think most Catholics would consider this an odd occurrence. So, I agree with those who say walk down the aisle by yourself or together with the groom.

There is no requirement that one walking with the bride be a relative. Indeed, the rubrics for the Roman Rite of Matrimony states that one option for beginning the wedding is for the priest celebrant to greet the bride and groom at the front door of the church, welcome them and then walk with them to the altar. I see little difference between this and what the bride, here, suggests.

Yet, the priest remains free to do this if he so wishes.

Have the groom’s father walk you down the aisle like the Prince’s father did with Meghan because her father couldn’t attend. It seems odd to me for a priest to take that role.

It’s up to the priest and the bride of course.

To me personally, it would look odd to see the priest changing roles from “giving the bride away” to “officiating at the wedding.”

To be really honest, if I were a plus one or otherwise didn’t know much about your family history I would assume by the gesture that you’re the illegitimate child of the priest. I imagine I wouldn’t be the only one. I know, that probably says a lot more about me than you or him, but its just something to consider.

I learned a long time ago never to argue with a bear. :sunglasses:

First, it is a good thing for you to consider him. But, with both the recent scandals, and with the changes in the ceremony (they were still changing this when my nephew was married, six years ago; this was the most recent wedding I had any involvement with) he may not be comfortable with this.

Ask him…I’m sure that he’ll consider it an honor. Whether he actually feels comfortable, and will actually do it, remains to be seen.

I don’t find it ‘weird’ at all; you’re inviting a man who you respect like a father, to take your dad’s place on a very special day. I think it’s very important that it not look like either party is coerced, in any way, into marriage.

So, ask your priest. And abide by his wishes. Oh, and congratulations, to you and your groom-to-be. May your marriage be all you hope for…and more!!!

I certainly hope you are trying to make a joke, if not, this sort of rash judgement is serious.

closed #20

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.