Priest who denied Holy Communion to lesbian placed on leave [CWN]

Auxiliary Bishop Barry Knestout of Washington has told local priests that Father Marcel Guarnizo, who denied Holy Communion to a lesbian at her mother’s funeral Mass, "has been placed on …

More…

Hmmm,I smell a setup.My understanding is this woman is a disaffected Catholic,a convert to Buddisim.She informed this priest of her lifestyle,prior to Mass.I think her outrage is disingenuous.What was he supposed to do?:confused:

If you read the article, the priest was placed on leave because.

“This action was taken after I received credible allegations that Father Guarnizo has engaged in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry,” the bishop added.

It doesn’t sound like it had anything to do with denying Communion to a lesbian.

The citation also contains this comment:

*“This action was taken after I received credible allegations that Father Guarnizo has engaged in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry,” the bishop added. *

This statement is disturbing. If Fr. Guarnizo is being removed because of his action in denying communion then that should have been stated and if he was being removed for some other reason then that point should have been clarified. People will of course assume his removal is directly tied to his denial of communion but since that was not the stated reason I guess the diocese maintains some level of plausible deniability that they acceded to the demands of a lesbian quasi-Catholic to remove a priest who offended her by following the canons of the Church. I guess I can understand why the diocese wouldn’t want to admit that.

Ender

Yeah just perfect timing is all. Of course all the news media is running the story as “Priest who denied communion to Lesbian is placed on leave” Guess what they won this battle. You can bet that now that they know it will work they will do it more and more. All of our most Orthodox Priests will be in their crosshairs. Now the Priest also know that Bishops may not stand with them and defend them when they make a tough decision. Really is sad in my opinion.

Gee,then why is the article titled as such:confused:

I have seen a similar hit job done on a traditional padre by liberal parishioners. Unfortunately, too many diocesan officials are only too ready to throw any traditional padre under the bus.
We need to pray for the church and this padre.

Because it is the same priest.

But the article is saying the leave was not because he denied Communion to the lesbian.

MaryJK,I think you missed my point.If underlying issues were the real reason for his dismissal,then the lead in to the article should have stated this fact.His response to the lesbian was the title,leading one to believe this was the sole reason for his dismissal.If the bishop was looking for a reason to act,this was it.I still believe this woman intentionally tried to receive the Eucharist,hoping she would be denied,to creat this firestorm of controversy.:eek:

Me, too.

And isn’t it interesting timing? It knocks the HHS mandate off the front page, and makes the Catholic Church look like misogynist ogres.

The article did state that fact. Neither the Bishop nor the priest wrote the article. The person that wrote the article wanted to draw in readers. What better way to do that than bring up past controversy? How many readers would read an article titled, “Father Marcel Guarnizo placed on administrative leave?”

I also believe the woman went to Communion to create controversy. And I believe that the priest was right in refusing. BUT, that doesn’t make EVERYTHING that this priest does good and right.

It is very possible that the woman knew that the priest was already “on the ropes” and figured that this might be what pushes the bishop over the edge. :shrug: There is no way to know.

He may be on leave for other reasons, unrelated to the lesbian. Here is an interesting blog on the canon law that his situation:

canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/bp-knestouts-march-9-letter-on-fr-guarnizo/

Priest Accused of ‘Intimidating Behavior’ & Placed on Leave After Refusing Communion to Lesbian

Apparently the Priest denied communion to an openly homosexual woman…

Whats the problem with this?

You are either allowed to receive communion or you are not… She was apparently not.

Is it not up to the Priest on who can receive the Holy Eucharist at his Parish? If this woman has a “right” to communion then so should my mother-in-law who is not Catholic. There is NO difference in a non-Catholic receiving than their is an Opennly homosexual receiving (didn’t she self ex-communicate herself?)

Thoughts,
DLG

Here’s the link:
theblaze.com/stories/priest-accused-of-intimidating-behavior-placed-on-leave-after-refusing-communion-to-lesbian/

Father Z commented on this recently:

wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/priest-denies-communion-to-lesbian-at-her-mothers-funeral-anger-ensues-can-915-hell-breaks-loose/

It was a very short article. Where did it say that this action either was or was not related to the incident with the denial of communion? That’s the point: it didn’t clarify the reason for the priest’s removal with the result that every priest in the country is put on notice that protecting the sanctity of the Eucharist might very well get him canned. That is certainly the message that is being sent to the priests in this diocese.

Ender

We can hope that a parishioner, or someone else in the know, can fill us in.

Confusion!

A former PP at the local parish was more or less driven out by a nun who kept sending the bishop letters criticising him. The priest was a bit hard to approach, sometimes; but his worst fault was that he was orthodox. :eek: The nun isn`t. :shrug:
Might be similar here, and/or a cultural clash…which can cause fireworks!

Very first question to ask…did the complaints about him predate his refusal of communion to this women or have they been made since?

Here:

“This action was taken after I received credible allegations that Father Guarnizo has engaged in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry,” the bishop added.

As a parish employee, NOT of this parish, I would find it very difficult to work for a priest that used intimidating behavior parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry. And yes, after talking to the priest about, I would go to the bishop. And no, it wouldn’t matter if the priest was “orthodox” or not.

LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY, TO CUT THROUGH ALL THE SUBTERFUGE ARGUMENTS:

IF this priest’s dismissal was IN ANY WAY, EVEN ONE IOTA
CONNECTED TO HIS RIGHTEOUS REFUSAL TO DESECRATE THE BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST BY giving communion to a PRACTICING lesbian,
then may ALL who had ANYTHING TO DO with this priest’s suspension,
be punished, in THIS LIFE, by GOD, with the UTMOST SEVERITY
so that the REST of the liberals, dissidents, and apostates,
will SEE the divine punishment (as it happened to Ananias and Sapphira for their
well-plotted wicked act) and be so terrified that they will never, ever,
even THINK about THINKING about doing such a filthy thing to another orthodox priest.

Enough is Enough. It is way past HIGH TIME to FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

The apostates have been given waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much leniency already.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.