Priest

This past weekend I went to confession to an area priest. I really enjoyed his console and could see a deep joy within him, which led me to consider him as maybe a spiritual director, something I have been searching for for awhile now. Today I went to mass to see how
he says mass and I was disturbed when following the gospel a lay woman came to the front of the church and said the homily. I’m currently living in the diocese of Rochester as a student and I’ve heard this type of stuff happens often here, so I don’t think it was the priests fault being that he is from Kenya and was probably brought into a parish after this sort of thing had already been condoned by predecessors. He didn’t look happy, if anything it seemed like he felt demeaned. I would just ask if you could pray for the parish and for this particular priest so that God may give him strength. Thank you all and God Bless.

I will keep both the priest and the parish in my Rosary today.

Prayers promised for all

Unfortunately Nootmeg, if the ‘Rochester’ you are referring to is in NY, this is a common abuse. I am just now in the process of leaving the parish where I was raised and married because of significant liturgical abuses. These abuses include (but are not limited to) the non-ordained giving “homilies”, the use of split gospels on days that are not Palm Sunday, standing during the consecration, and homilies that advocate messages not supported by the Catholic faith (pro-homosexuality, proclaiming of Adam, Eve, and Noah to be myths, etc.).

I tried to bring these things up to my priest as a parishoner and parish council member; I even printed out papal encyclicals and GIRM passages to acknowledge the point. I tried to be very gentle during this process also, as I know our priests are ordained with power given by Jesus, and are very special even when they teach error. I was ultimately told that the “spirit of the law” is really what we should be going after, not the actual law itself. Apparently he feels that he cannot get people in the pews without changing the mass to make it “more exciting” (which is why Rochester masses are resembling Protestant and non-demoninational services more and more). I was also told that I was “very mistaken” after I apparently offended him for bringing this up. I guess the point is that he was not receptive, and there is no difference I can make there so it’s time to move on.

Having said all this, I know that it is not my job to be the liturgical police (nor do I have any desire to have that job). I do feel as a lay Catholic that it is my job to draw attention to significant liturgical abuses, as this I have tried to do with much gentleness. As much as I have respect for the offices of our priests and bishop, I also have disappointment and regret for their dilution and downright scandalization of our faith. I am hopeful that I can find a parish in the Rochester area that is untainted by this liberal ideology, as I’m currently searching. So I guess the point of my post is that you’re not alone.

LORD Jesus
Guide Ur Children .

+JMJTJ+

Your intentions will be in my prayers.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

God bless you +

Praying!

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those that trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

O glorious St. Michael, guardian and defender of the Church of Jesus Christ, come to the assistance of this Church, against which the powers of hell are unchained, guard with special care her august Head, and obtain that for him and for us the hour of triumph may speedily arrive. O glorious Archangel St. Michael, watch over us during life, defend us against the assaults of the demon, assist us especially at the hour of death; obtain for us a favorable judgment, and the happiness of beholding God face to face for endless ages. Amen.

Praying
Grandma Glor

Praying for this priest…

Oh God, it is your will that all eyes be opened unto you. Please strengthen your Roman Catholic Church, the true bride of Jesus, to aide anyone who enters through open doorways, to focus on worshiping You and only You. You are the Holy One! You are the One, True Lord of all creation! Praise you for your constant variety of color, temperature, sound, and smells. And above all, thank you praise you for the blessed taste of Jesus, Our Savior, your only Son who was sacrificed for US, mere mortal sinners so that we would be SAVED and live with you in all eternity. It is YOU that has forgiven US, how can we ever, ever thank you enough! Thank you for sharing with us your remembrance meal, the Sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist. Please, forgive us for our limited abilities. We try. We try so hard to please you as you ought to be pleased. Many, many times we fall so far short. Yet, we trust that you receive our love and adoration. Praise you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.