Priest

Has anyone heard anything about this movie?? Is it considered ok by the church to see it. I've pretty much decided not to go because I read somewhere it's another movie against the church....frankly I wish Hollywood would stop making those they are usually just dumb movies to begin with. I thought initially it was just some sort of fantasy film till I saw a review of it but then again the guy mentioned in his review he hadn't even seen it. :confused

it is based on a Korean comic book and is set in an alternate universe where humans battle vampires. Pure fantasy fiction.

There’s also another movie called “Priest” about a priest who struggle with homosexual acts. He eventually gives into the sin, gets a “boyfriend” and his Parish starts to resent him, except for this one girl who’s been thorough a lot of things. It’s THE dumbest movie I’ve ever seen, worse than “Priest” about the vampire If you ask me. They both promote the sin of fornication, and lust. Though the former also promotes the sin of homosexual acts. I say no to both!

Though, if you’re talking about the Korean “Priest”, I suppose you could watch it for entertainment, but beware. I didn’t know this when I first saw it, but there is a few scenes where he engages in pre-marital acts with a girl. I would fast-forward them.

God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

I watched the preview and from what I can gather it seems that the main character is not only facing vampires, but also an oppressive church that has taken over the world. Granted, you can't completely judge a book by the cover but if it were me I would avoid this one. Or at least wait and see what some Catholic/Christian movie critics say.

The critics are panning it...so I probably won't be seeing it.

Oddly enough, this was one of the previews that was shown when I saw The Rite.

Just based on the previews, I'm predicting a flop.

This was made by the same guy who made the Christianity-bashing movie "Legion".

Looks like just another Church-bashing movie from liberal Hollywood.

… Do you guys have minds of your own at all?
“The critics are panning it, so I probably won’t see it”?
“More christian bashing from liberal hollywood?”

Really, guys, is it THAT HARD to do your own research into something, and not judge something based purely on a TRAILER.

It seems like if “christian” or “catholic” isn’t stamped onto something you deem it sinful.
Guys, the secular media isn’t out to kill us. And if you close yourself off to secular media, you’re missing a lot. And I mean a lot about life. Just because someone isn’t Christian doesn’t mean they can’t create something that’s meaningful.

And if not meaningful, than at least entertaining, and non detrimental.

As someone said earlier, Priest is based on a korean comic. It’s fantasy. Nothing more. NOW, I have heard that the movie is a horrible mutilation of a good comic, as with most comic based movies, but hey. Doesn’t mean it’s evil. I have not yet read Priest, so I do not have a basis of comparison, but as a fan or manga and manhwa it’s been on my to read list.

My best friend, who’s Catholic, and actually directed me to this site, saw the trailer…
And she got a little excited. Frankly, she liked seeing her people kicking vampire arse, and not being accused of child molestation.

But I don’t think anything satisfies a good lot of you guys. Heck, the friend I mentioned actually left because this forum depressed her. Literally. Like, actual, real, depression, because certain members here believe everything is a sin. And she believed you for awhile.

There you go, guys. Just some food for thought.

Like I said, though… Supposedly Priest is a lame adaption, and bares little similarity to the original comic. I’ll be avoiding it for THOSE reasons.

And the main character is only good because he defies his superiors, who dont believe him and actually threaten him with punishment. The message is clear; disobedience to the evil, meany pants Church is good.

I’m wondering if the priest character isn’t a stand in for folks who Hans Kung or the LCWR who espouse heretical ideas.

I googled “Catholic movie reviews” and found this review of Priest.

catholicnews.com/data/movies/11mv059.htm

I think clearly some of the secular media is "out to kill us," figuratively speaking, which is why some of us are cautious. But admittedly we can get carried away sometimes. I will still be avoiding this one, though, unless I hear good things from Catholic/Christian movie critics, which I doubt.

[quote="Suni_Moon, post:8, topic:239901"]
... Do you guys have minds of your own at all?
"The critics are panning it, so I probably won't see it"?
"More christian bashing from liberal hollywood?"

Really, guys, is it THAT HARD to do your own research into something, and not judge something based purely on a TRAILER.

It seems like if "christian" or "catholic" isn't stamped onto something you deem it sinful.
Guys, the secular media isn't out to kill us. And if you close yourself off to secular media, you're missing a lot. And I mean a lot about life. Just because someone isn't Christian doesn't mean they can't create something that's meaningful.

And if not meaningful, than at least entertaining, and non detrimental.

As someone said earlier, Priest is based on a korean comic. It's fantasy. Nothing more. NOW, I have heard that the movie is a horrible mutilation of a good comic, as with most comic based movies, but hey. Doesn't mean it's evil. I have not yet read Priest, so I do not have a basis of comparison, but as a fan or manga and manhwa it's been on my to read list.

My best friend, who's Catholic, and actually directed me to this site, saw the trailer...
And she got a little excited. Frankly, she liked seeing her people kicking vampire arse, and not being accused of child molestation.

But I don't think anything satisfies a good lot of you guys. Heck, the friend I mentioned actually left because this forum depressed her. Literally. Like, actual, real, depression, because certain members here believe everything is a sin. And she believed you for awhile.

There you go, guys. Just some food for thought.

Like I said, though... Supposedly Priest is a lame adaption, and bares little similarity to the original comic. I'll be avoiding it for THOSE reasons.

[/quote]

Why don't you ask people in a nice way what they think rather than rushing to judge yourself? Just because someone makes a quick quip about something doesn't mean that's all they know or think about the topic.

Personally, I saw Priest, and it did suck. On many levels. The story was completely predictable. It overused tons of cliches (western, anime, sci-fi), and it didn't even do that in new or interesting ways. And that's on top of it making the Church the real enemy, which is getting pretty old.

Before anyone objects "yeah but it's fiction/fantasy", for heaven's sake, I am not ignorant to this obvious matter. You'd have to be completely naive to think that it's a coincidence that the Church leaders are the bad guys here. It'd be like if I wrote a fantasy movie where the world is run by a bunch of corrupt Jewish people, or black people, or gay people, and tried to claim that it's coincidental and "just fantasy."

It doesn't matter if it was based upon a comic book or not. The film was clearly made to be viewed independently of the comic book - i.e., they wrote it so that you didn't have to have read the comic book to have "appreciated" what they were seeking to convey. Since it was made "based on" and not "as an episode of" the comic book, it should be judged for what it is by itself. And, imho, it was a big stinking mess.

And the original comic is about a Priest which sells half of his soul to a Inquisitor turned demon in order to fight some fallen angels.

About the movie... again that old cliche of the priest/monk protagonist against a "oppressive" church.

[quote="CesarAugustus, post:13, topic:239901"]
About the movie... again that old cliche of the priest/monk protagonist against a "oppressive" church.

[/quote]

And here's the issue I have with this movie, not because I find it offensive it's just an overused plot point and if that is the main focus of it as opposed to just seeing how many violent ways you can kill a vampire I have no desire to see it.

Personally I don't think they have the priest going against the church for the sake of being anti-Catholic, I think it's more to give the character that bit of lawlessness that most men (let's face facts it's a guy movie) want to see in their heroes. "Rambo", "Commando" and pretty much half of Stallone's or Schwarzeneggar's filmographies feature such heroes. Guys who live by their own rules and will stop at nothing to protect themselves or the ones they love. "Taken" with Liam Neeson is a more recent one and was awesome. Granted the way these heroes "get the job done" is not exactly Christian but the movies themselves are not anti-Christian either.

Another thing that a lot of people always ask when they see this kind of movie is "why Catholics?" IMO it's because we're the only organized religion (that I know of anyway) with a hierarchy set up the way it is so it allows for this kind of plotline to take advantage of it. You couldn't make a movie with a Jewish protagonist in the same situation because a rabbi doesn't really have anyone who ranks higher (except for God of course ;)) Is an American soldier who defies orders to do what he feels is right anti-American? Of course not. Would anyone object if that was the plot?

[quote="Suni_Moon, post:8, topic:239901"]
It seems like if "christian" or "catholic" isn't stamped onto something you deem it sinful.

[/quote]

Well, there is this...

IMPRIMATUR
The Latin term for "let it be printed," which signifies the approval by a bishop of a religious work for publication. Authors are at liberty to obtain the imprimatur either from the bishop where they reside, or where the book is to be published, or where it is printed. Generally the imprimatur, along with the bishop's name and date of approval, is to be shown in the publication. According to a decree of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (1975), "the Pastors of the Church have the duty and the right to be vigilant lest the faith and morals of the faithful be harmed by writings; and consequently even to demand that the publication of writings concerning the faith and morals should be submitted to the Church's approval, and also to condemn books and writings that attack faith or morals." (Etym. Latin imprimere, to impress, stamp imprint.)

Works for me, as it has worked for Catholics for thousands of years ;):)

I watched the movie a few days ago. It is on a dystopian alternate Earth, where wars between humanity and vampires nearly destroyed the entire planet. The Church steps up, builds walled cities, and trains warrior-priests to fight the last vampire war, which ended in a nearly complete human victory. That's the background to the plot. The rest is your typical western-style flick. The vampires leave their "reservations" and kidnap the lead character's niece. He sets off after her through a desolate, arid environment. It reminded me very much of the typical western flicks, where American Indians escape their reservation, kidnap a white woman, and are hunted down by a cowboy (possibly ex-soldier). Overall, it does present the Church hierarchy as rather clueless to the emerging vampire threat and as quite totalitarian in the cities. As far as entertainment, I'd give it a B-. The depiction of the Church, (though interestingly not the priests) is your typical, negative Hollywood presentation. Some people will be very offended, though by now I just laugh at the blatant inaccuracies and ignorance.

[quote="CesarAugustus, post:13, topic:239901"]
And the original comic is about a Priest which sells half of his soul to a Inquisitor turned demon in order to fight some fallen angels.

[/quote]

Cliche? There def was a time the church was oppressive and was tying itself in with governments and kingdoms and threatening hell to those who wouldnt obey.

[quote="CathModerate, post:17, topic:239901"]
Cliche? There def was a time the church was oppressive and was tying itself in with governments and kingdoms and threatening hell to those who wouldnt obey.

[/quote]

and then you have those governments and kingdoms that threatened the Church, stole church property, killed clergy and religious, and kidnapped or imprisoned the pope... I'd say there was way more of that than the pope issuing secular orders to governments.

[quote="vsedriver, post:18, topic:239901"]
and then you have those governments and kingdoms that threatened the Church, stole church property, killed clergy and religious, and kidnapped or imprisoned the pope... I'd say there was way more of that than the pope issuing secular orders to governments.

[/quote]

It's funny how people seem to forget all the good things and only remember the bad. You are 100% right. But this movie is more than just an anti-catholic film from watching it. The story parallels the history of the Knights Templar to a point. Where the Church and state found that the Knights needed to be disbanded for varying reasons.

The priests in this film play the role of those knights and the vampires I guess would then assume the role of Moslems at that time warring with the church for Jerusalem among other things. The disobedience to authority and God in the movie is the same rebellion we see causing the fall of Adam since the beginning and they play it out like the gnostic lie it is in so many of these movies (legion, priest, prophesy etc). Interesting how actor Paul Bettany has assumed more than one role in recent years where he plays the protagonist defying God's will.

I honestly believe more and more that Hollywood for a large part has an agenda to destroy confidence and respect for the Church using the mass media. This is what makes the Pope's call for the church to get involved in technology and new media so critical and timely.

[quote="Rolypoly, post:11, topic:239901"]
I think clearly some of the secular media is "out to kill us," figuratively speaking, which is why some of us are cautious. But admittedly we can get carried away sometimes. I will still be avoiding this one, though, unless I hear good things from Catholic/Christian movie critics, which I doubt.

[/quote]

You are quite right. I saw the movie and it's the story of disobedience and the the fall of man from Genesis told over with a gnostic twist. Nothing to see here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.