Priest

[quote="mdrummer5, post:14, topic:239901"]
Personally I don't think they have the priest going against the church for the sake of being anti-Catholic, I think it's more to give the character that bit of lawlessness that most men (let's face facts it's a guy movie) want to see in their heroes. "Rambo", "Commando" and pretty much half of Stallone's or Schwarzeneggar's filmographies feature such heroes. Guys who live by their own rules and will stop at nothing to protect themselves or the ones they love. "Taken" with Liam Neeson is a more recent one and was awesome. Granted the way these heroes "get the job done" is not exactly Christian but the movies themselves are not anti-Christian either.

[/quote]

Yes and no. I think that guys and even gals like the lawless, rougue characters in movies (Wolverine in the X-men is a classic example). The reason I think might be because we are born in sin and shaped in iniquity. We enjoy sin more than we do the truth generally speaking. People like characters who make them feel OK with themselves. Who make them feel comfortable in their sinful state. We are all guilty of that at some time in our lives but we should not promote this.

But Jesus Christ was perfect and asked us to be like him, so why do we look up to everything that is opposed to His nature as expressed in scripture and tradition? I think that Hollywood whether they know it or not have been largely an instrument of propaganda for Satan. Most contemporary films redicule and mock purity and holiness (virginity, holiness, chastity, reverence and self control) and glorify every sin under the sun.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:14, topic:239901"]

Another thing that a lot of people always ask when they see this kind of movie is "why Catholics?" IMO it's because we're the only organized religion (that I know of anyway) with a hierarchy set up the way it is so it allows for this kind of plotline to take advantage of it. You couldn't make a movie with a Jewish protagonist in the same situation because a rabbi doesn't really have anyone who ranks higher (except for God of course ;)) Is an American soldier who defies orders to do what he feels is right anti-American? Of course not. Would anyone object if that was the plot?

[/quote]

This is a flimsy excuse if I ever heard one. The Church is targeted becasue it is organized? C'mon that is a cop out. There are other organizations that are not stigmatized and mocked and lied about the way the Church is. Why are there not any movies doing the same with Freemasonry or Rosicruitionism?

The good thing in all of this is that we can take comfort in Matthew 5:12 which says "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great" (emphasis added). Notice the present tense of the last sentence: "IS" great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.