Priest

What does it take to become a Priest? Schooling? Also what responsibilities does a priest have different to any other catholic?

Welcome!
A college degree (whether at a university or at a minor seminary) is required, followed by at least 4 years at a major seminary. Diocesan priests (e.g. your average pastor) make promises of obedience (as to their bishop) and celibacy (i.e. they are forbidden to marry or otherwise engage in any physical relations). Priests belonging to a religious order (these communities, among other things, almost always require their new members to undergo a period of time called a novitiate) are under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Hi, and welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums.

A priest is the regular (or ordinary) cleric that consecrates the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist, but also administers or co-ministers other Sacraments of the Church. While the laity can, in some instances, administer one or two Sacraments (often only in an emergency), a priest can administer all Sacraments except the Sacrament of Holy Orders (only a bishop can ordain priests; only the Pope can ordain bishops).

The vocation of priesthood requires
[LIST]
*]Time to discern if God is actually calling you to the ministry
*]Applying to your diocese to begin seminary work
*]Attending a seminary for 6-8 years
*]Being chosen by the bishop to continue
*]Becoming a transitional deacon
*]Accepting the Sacrament of Holy Orders for your ordination as a priest
[/LIST]

Many priests get a Masters in Theology for obvious reasons. The process does seem slow, but no more so than someone in a non-religious graduate school track for a Masters or a Doctorate.

You can visit Vocation.com for some additional general help. Your local diocese’s website may also have a vocations page.

Welcome GHassel. It seems the other responses do a pretty good job of addressing the steps involved and probably what you were looking for. For my two cents, I think the most important part is the discernment question and I encourage you to prayerfully take that seriously. And might I suggest that it is something you’ll be thinking about throughout all the steps leading to ordination. I don’t think it is usually the kind of thing a person knows in an instant. Whatever vocation you are called to, may God bless your journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.