priesthood

Could you explain the differences between the Mormon priesthood and the Catholic priesthood, and why some protestants believe that every believer is a priest. Thank you.

Valid Apostolic Succession is found ONLY in the Roman Catholic Church.

Valid apostolic succession exists in Orthodox and Non-Chalcedonian Eastern Churches, too.

Even the Holy See says so.

As regards the Mormon priesthood, it can offer neither health to the sinews nor marrow in the bone, because there is no power in their priesthood for themselves, their descendants, or anyone else forever.

The priesthood of the Catholic and Orthodox are the ministerial Priesthood instituted by Christ with the laing of hand and breathing upon them the holy spirit giving them the commission to go out spread the Gospel making disciples forgiving sins and casing out demons. J Smith invented his the same as he invented his religion.

As for the priesthood of all believers this is true, but it is not a ministerial.

Correct! The Catholic Church teaches that there are three Priesthoods. The Highest Priesthood of all, the Priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ before God the Father, the Ministerial Priesthood instituted by Christ and given to the Apostles and their sucessors (the Pope, Bishops, Priests that we are all familiar with), then there is the Universal Priesthood of the all the Faithful by which we are called to spread the Gospel to all the world, work together and minister to one another, and help support the Body of Christ however we can.

Most Protestant churches on the other hand believe in only two Priesthoods. The Priesthood of all believers as they call it, and the High Priesthood of Christ Himself.

True, thank you for the correction. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this, as Lutherans believe in a ministerial preisthood, as well.

Jon

Anne,
I don’t see that you’ve had your questions answered. I am very familiar with the Mormon priesthood, having been ordained when I was age twelve to the Aaronic priesthood and when I was age eighteen to the Melchizedek priesthood, and having had various offices within those priesthoods.

The LDS believe John the Baptist held the Levitical priesthood by lineal claim as well as by ordination, and that he held the “keys” or “rights of authority from God on earth” to that Levitical priesthood. The Levitical priesthood was an “outward ordinances” priesthood, and when Jesus wanted to be baptized, he went to John because John had the authority to baptize and Jesus knew that.

Joseph Smith received the “keys” which Aaron had held in mortality, by an angelic visit from Aaron in 1829. The priesthood Aaron held has been called by the LDS “priesthood of Aaron” since that time. It is given by the laying on of hands to all LDS young men who have lived worthily enough to receive it, at age twelve. It is a great blessing to each one, as they serve people using that authority, including serving the emblems of Christ’s atonement to the members of the congregation each Sunday during the services. It helps in their development of spiritual maturity. It is called a “preparatory priesthood”.

Joseph Smith also received “keys” held by Peter in mortality. One of those keys was the key to higher priesthood than the Levitical priesthood. The LDS believe that ancient prophets held the higher priesthood, including Abraham and Melchizedek as typified in Hebrews 7 and exemplified by those having great faith as recounted in Hebrews 11.

The LDS call this higher priesthood the Melchizedek priesthood, not to minimize the special and unique role of Jesus Christ as the Great High Priest who offered the Final Sacrifice, but because high priesthood was still needed in the earth after Jesus Christ had offered the Final Sacrifice. Peter continued to use priesthood authority in his ministry after Christ had risen and ascended. He restored that authority by coming to earth as an angel, and giving the keys to Joseph Smith by the laying on of hands on his head. Men in the LDS church who live worthily, are ordained to this priesthood and serve others using its authority. It helps them by feeling the brotherhood or connection with each other and also a spiritual connection with God including the responsibility to act righteously before God, whether in family duties, husband and wife relationships, and in Church duties that each priesthood holder receives–duties of service and leadership.

The differences between Catholic priesthood, as far as my limited understanding, would be that Catholic priesthood is only given to a certain few rather than to all males who are worthy, and that there are different names used to describe it.

The idea of “priesthood of all believers” in Protestant religions arises from the New Testament, but I think it has been misunderstood and that a person cannot claim they hold priesthood unless they have been ordained by an authorized person who previously held the authority to ordain others. That process of succession is made amply clear in the New Testament.

I hope this has answered your basic questions. There was a recent thread on a fairly similar topic a few weeks ago. Have a nice weekend.

Ann,
I haven’t been able to tell whether you read my response, so I’ll add a bit more to amplify.

If you’re a student of the Bible, you may remember that Moses was told by God that God wanted to establish a “kingdom of priests,” and “an holy nation” meaning the house of Israel. The LDS believe that God still desires these qualities in a people who are following the gospel, and also that Moses’ statement “would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put His spirit upon them” still applies today. John wrote, “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” Both aspects of the gospel are necessary–an organized priesthood with authority from God, and the spirit of prophecy or the spiritual discernment to know by the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Both aspects of the gospel are necessary–an organized priesthood with authority from God, and the spirit of prophecy or the spiritual discernment to know by the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Both aspects of the Gospel existed in a continuous form long before Joseph Smith came around.

Mormonoidism did not restore it.

And Pele Ale is, at best, a beer sold by a Brazilian soccer star.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.