Priesthood

Hello,
I am considering becoming a priest because I feel called by God, but i am really worried about it. I have told no one yet that I am thinking about it. I am 18 and just started college.
What I am worried about is my parents. If I become a priest who will look after them as my sister lives very far away.
I also live on a farm that has been in our family for generations and as the only son am expected to take it over in the future, which I would like to do. If I become a priest will they have to sell the farm?
Thanks for any help

If God is calling you to the priesthood, then He will take care of everything, according to His will. Even if He isn’t calling you to the priesthood, if you pray, He will take care of things according to His will. Trust God. That’s the bottom line.

Here’s some cool videos on the priesthood:

youtu.be/3FbL7eFJGdQ
youtu.be/kfnHAWKI7dE
youtu.be/jbhZ9J0NxzU
youtu.be/W1giuJXhzUw
youtu.be/jnaLVE4ayDs
youtu.be/fEhx8mZdMYI

God bless!

May the SACRED HEART BLESS YOU FOR THIS DESIRE, and may HE MAKE YOU A SAINT!!!

Our LORD will take care of it, like another poster said.

Fratere Tuus in CORDE JESU

Frenki Fehervari

Hello brother!

God will make right, thrust Him! I understand you because I am an only-child.:shrug:

Non vos me elegistis, sed ego elegi vos, et posui vos ut eatis, et fructum afferatis, et fructus vester maneat. (Jn 15:16)
or in English:
You did not choose me. I chose you and sent you out to produce fruit, the kind of fruit that will last. (Jn 15:16)

I will pray for you:thumbsup:,
fr. t. Attempto

Cool videos, scoobyshme.

I would say keep praying about it, and finish college. Talk with your family about it, and be honest with them as well as yourself.

As a man with two minor children who feels "called," I can very much relate to the anxiety of worrying about how family will be cared for. Some times the answer is "Not now!"

[quote="Sean_b, post:1, topic:304294"]
Hello,
I am considering becoming a priest because I feel called by God, but i am really worried about it. I have told no one yet that I am thinking about it. I am 18 and just started college.
What I am worried about is my parents. If I become a priest who will look after them as my sister lives very far away.
I also live on a farm that has been in our family for generations and as the only son am expected to take it over in the future, which I would like to do. If I become a priest will they have to sell the farm?
Thanks for any help

[/quote]

If you become a diocesan or "secular" priest (rather than a religious order) you would not have to sell the farm. Diocesan priests do not take vows of poverty, and may own property.

Of course, you almost certainly couldn't work the farm (you'd have priestly duties to attend to). But, nothing would stop you from owning it, and hiring others to manage/work it.

May God Bless you abundantly in your vocation!

Thank you everyone for your prayers and advice. I will pray for you all.

Your situation almost sounds identical to mine. I live on a farm and I'm currently in my 2nd year attending a community college nearby. I have put a good effort in thinking about the priesthood in the last year, and almost went to the seminary this year. I finished the application process and everything. I found that I had some issues in my life to clean up before seminary, so that when i enter seminary i can give it a full effort. I also chickened out! :)

I do have a brother that is 2 years older than me and is taking over the farm. I do know of someone from my hometown that lived on a farm and a year into college he felt a call to the priesthood. His Dad didn't have a son to take over the farm and he will eventually end up selling it.

I'm sure there is the possibility that you could buy the farm or at least part of the farm. Then you could just let someone leis it and you could always come back to visit it.

Eventually you will get better at letting go and sacrificing things. Obviously you and I know that the priesthood is a great sacrifice. Giving up the farm and selling it to someone else is a HUGE sacrifice! Selling it is sacrificing the "surname" in the county plat-book and there it is a definite pride factor to continue the family name.

I know a priest from my area that owns a woods and he hunts in it when he is home. I think the Catholic Church is somewhat flexible with these matters. I don't think you can borrow money though. I think it is preferred that priests don't have debt when they enter seminary or are ordained priests. (Not talking about college debt) However, I bet you could inherit it. I also know a priest that took ownership of his Dad's large corporate egg farm after his Dad passed away. He managed the accounting for a few years and visited the facilities once a week and eventually sold it to a close friend of the family.

I hope all goes well!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.