Priestly Livelihood

Hi All,

I am a relatively new member of the Catholic Church but I already feel like I may be being called to the Priesthood. I haven't told anyone, with the exception of my mother, as I am afraid people will think it is too early to have these feelings. Perhaps it is but I have some questions about the livelihood of a priest. I know no one joins the Church to become rich but I was wondering what the average stipend of a Catholic Priest in England & Wales? Does it differ from diocese to diocese? Also do Curates get less?

I was wondering if Priests who work in the same parish live in the same house? My Parish only has a single priest, who is amazing by the way, so I am not sure really? Also if a Curate came to work at the Parish would he move into the Priests house?

Finally. The nearest seminary to me used to be Ushaw(?) in Durham but that closed down recently due to a lack of vocations. So if I did pursue the priesthood in a few years time would I simply be sent to the nearest seminary? Which I think is in Birmingham? And would I be sent to work in my home diocese or in the Archdiocese of Birmingham? Do you apply to a certain seminary? For example could you apply to the Vernerable College in Rome or the one in Spain?

Thank You so much for Reading and I am sorry with the number of questions. (I got carried away)

Welcome to the Church! And you are truly blessed to be called to serving God in His priesthood. It's never too early to have a religious calling, God only calls us when we are ready.

I don't know the answers to your questions but I think you should discuss it with your priest or the vocations director for your diocese, they will be able to help you with your questions. I've also collected a load of vocations resources here if you're interested. Many of them are UK links and have some excellent information.

Thank you for the link.

Also I hope your discernment is going well. I will pray for you. Do you think it is harder in modern society for a woman to enter into religious life? It just seems rarer, especially in the UK, I have met quite a few priests even before contemplating conversion, and many more since, but I still am yet to meet a nun.

I read somewhere that a Priest must be without debt? Does this include University debt? Do you have to pay it off before entering a seminary?

[quote="JSomerville, post:3, topic:274096"]
Thank you for the link.

Also I hope your discernment is going well. I will pray for you. Do you think it is harder in modern society for a woman to enter into religious life? It just seems rarer, especially in the UK, I have met quite a few priests even before contemplating conversion, and many more since, but I still am yet to meet a nun.

I read somewhere that a Priest must be without debt? Does this include University debt? Do you have to pay it off before entering a seminary?

[/quote]

It is difficult. Few people know about my discernment and I imagine few will be particularly understanding of it. My mother especially is not at all understanding. But what will be will be and I just have to trust that God will guide me. It's unconventional but I think the number of young women choosing religious life is growing - more young people are realising that the things the world keeps offering are empty and aren't fulfilling them.

I suppose priests are more obvious than nuns because every parish has them. Though you may be surprised, there were two women I had seen many times at Daily Mass and only learnt recently that they are Franciscan sisters and since they don't wear habits I just hadn't realised.

I don't actually know about university debt. Because in the UK the student loans are only repayable once you are earning a certain salary it may be that you would never earn enough to reach that threshold. Other debt is obviously different so that would have to be paid off before entering. I don't think for religious life it is a problem because I'll never earn any salary.

There has always been a time and space between entering the Church and entering religious life/priesthood.. Usually at least two years. So many get these ideas when new to the Church.

Hey, hope you are fine.
First, be assured by my prayer for your vocation.
Remember that it's god who call who he wants. So there is no time, no moment.... Dont be afraid even if you are jut catholic, remember saint Paul.
Second, it's important for you to see regularly a priest. He can be you spiritual director, believe me, he could help you a lot to be firstly a good Christian and secondly to dissent better your vocation
Concerning the life of priest, it depends on the parish where you are sent and the mission given by the bishop after you ordination. So you could be in a parish alone, or with another priests, or in a community house like a seminary for example.
About the area where you can make your seminary, it depends on your bishop. It's him who chooses where his seminarians can make their formation. If you like studies you can tell to your superiors and your bishop and they could dicide to send you in a seminary like Rome, Paris... Depending on what or which studies you want to do.

In my case for example in from france and currently living in Quebec. I'm asking my admission here in Quebec, and if I Wouk like to continuous studies, I could tell to my bishop and will have choice between Rome and here in Quebec. But it sure that if the diocese need me here because of the lack of vocation, I will not have the choice. I will begin my life here like priest and continuous my studies here in Quebec, or will just continuous my studies and how some help.
I don't know if I answered your questions?

God bless you.

[quote="JSomerville, post:1, topic:274096"]
Hi All,

I am a relatively new member of the Catholic Church but I already feel like I may be being called to the Priesthood. I haven't told anyone, with the exception of my mother, as I am afraid people will think it is too early to have these feelings. Perhaps it is but I have some questions about the livelihood of a priest. I know no one joins the Church to become rich but I was wondering what the average stipend of a Catholic Priest in England & Wales? Does it differ from diocese to diocese? Also do Curates get less?

I was wondering if Priests who work in the same parish live in the same house? My Parish only has a single priest, who is amazing by the way, so I am not sure really? Also if a Curate came to work at the Parish would he move into the Priests house?

Finally. The nearest seminary to me used to be Ushaw(?) in Durham but that closed down recently due to a lack of vocations. So if I did pursue the priesthood in a few years time would I simply be sent to the nearest seminary? Which I think is in Birmingham? And would I be sent to work in my home diocese or in the Archdiocese of Birmingham? Do you apply to a certain seminary? For example could you apply to the Vernerable College in Rome or the one in Spain?

Thank You so much for Reading and I am sorry with the number of questions. (I got carried away)

[/quote]

I'm from Salford diocese, and I met a seminarian a few weeks ago who was also from Salford. He was in his 20's and was studying at Oscott in Birmingham, but he would still be a priest of Salford diocese if and when he makes it through to ordination. The usual procedure is for a seminarian to still "belong" to your own diocese no matter where you study.

It's not uncommon for a "late vocation" to be sent over to Rome to study for the priesthood, this happened to the headmaster of my primary school when he resigned to train for the priesthood. But you don't indicate your age, and i don't know what the cut-off age is for someone to be considered a late voction.

Not sure what the actual stipend of a priest would be. But remember that a lot of the bills may be paid out of parish funds rather that out of the priest's stipend. And the one time when my parish had two priests, thye both lived in the same house.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.