Priests Allowed to Wear Earrings?!?!

Today I was privileged to witness the election of officers for the Secular Franciscan Order fraternity I am a candidate to join, and it was a moving experience. However, I was annoyed and rather disgusted to notice that the (thank God visiting) Franciscan friar who served as the official witness of the election had a diamond and gold pierced earring stud in his left ear. He was wearing a traditional Franciscan habit as were the other friars, which made the earring all the more glaring. Aside from the obvious question of how someone who publicly professes a vow of poverty flaunts such jewelry, how does he get away with this? I know that I am a dinosaur and that the whole issue of men wearing an earring does not necessarily have the lurid sexual connotation it once did, but I think it is especially gross for a priest to do this. As recently as a few years ago I’ve heard of diocesan bishops telling priests they could not drive sports cars or motorcycles, it just looked bad, and this “looks” ten times worse to me. Has anyone else seen this? I see so much wonderful reform in the life of the clergy that at least this is a rare disappointment in my neck of the woods!

[quote=Fortiterinre]Today I was privileged to witness the election of officers for the Secular Franciscan Order fraternity I am a candidate to join, and it was a moving experience. However, I was annoyed and rather disgusted to notice that the (thank God visiting) Franciscan friar who served as the official witness of the election had a diamond and gold pierced earring stud in his left ear. He was wearing a traditional Franciscan habit as were the other friars, which made the earring all the more glaring. Aside from the obvious question of how someone who publicly professes a vow of poverty flaunts such jewelry, how does he get away with this? I know that I am a dinosaur and that the whole issue of men wearing an earring does not necessarily have the lurid sexual connotation it once did, but I think it is especially gross for a priest to do this. As recently as a few years ago I’ve heard of diocesan bishops telling priests they could not drive sports cars or motorcycles, it just looked bad, and this “looks” ten times worse to me. Has anyone else seen this? I see so much wonderful reform in the life of the clergy that at least this is a rare disappointment in my neck of the woods!
[/quote]

You know, you said it was his left ear, in school, they say “Right is right, left is gay”. Im not saying anything, but he might be some Gay pride priest. A great abuse.

There was another thread on this, but to tell you the truth I’m not surprised.

Funny you say that a bishop said for priests not to drive motorcycles as a bishop in my diocese drives a Harley.

Ha ha! I’d love to see a priest on a Harley-Davidson!

As for me, I like these sorts of priests, who are daring to be themselves, and who may be viewed and judged by others wrongly, just as many of the rest of us are. After all, priests are simply human beings, as the rest of us are. Why not an earring? He sure got you to notice him, now didn’t he?

I know a priest with a tattoo depicting his order. He is now a regional director of his order. The tattoo is no way interfers with his calling.

These sorts of priests are often the best with our youth, as our youth can relate to them in their outward modernity. Inside these priests, at least the ones I know with tattoos and earrings, are very traditional in their spirituality and practice.

I say, God bless them for being themselves!

Here you go NightRider…

http://www.polishaccent.com/2004_Marzec/Biskup%20na%20motorze.jpg

Bishop Wenski, Orlando.

I love that! He’s being very economical about his fuel consumption LOL

our current pastor is probably the most orthodox priest and best theologian in the diocese, but I hear he has mellowed with age. Our sister for baptismal prep served in another parish years ago, where he was delegated by the bishop to confirm teenagers. As she tells it, he came roaring up on his Harley, fulley vested in red, guitar strapped to his back, full beard, helmet, sandals, 5 minutes before the start of the service. I don’t believe the sandals, bet he wore boots.

There is another thread on this topic someplace, and the story is told of a priest who had been a missionary I think in Laos, was tortured in prison by communists, dreadfully so physically harmed that he could no longer celebrate Mass. He lived on the street in a large eastern city witnessing to the poor who came to street shelters, his ears had been pierced by bamboo rods and never healed. Some “street ladies” gave him a gift of gold earrings shaped like a cross, and he wore them so as not to hurt their feelings. Sounds like Jesus and his attitude toward the penitent woman who anointed him and washed his feet with her tears.

Earrings?? maybe, but I draw the line at nose rings and tongue studs.

My wonderful parish priest, Father Manno, is almost 60 years old and drives a Harley. He is one of the most spiritual and loving priests I’ve ever met. :cool: :cool: Why shouldn’t priests be able to have hobbies that give them pleasure?
As for priests wearing earring studs :hmmm: I’ll have to think about this one. :confused: :confused: My only concern is that it might not look appropriate and give people reason to criticize them.

Let’s all pray for our wonderful priests and nuns.

Blessings,
Shannin :bowdown2:

[quote=Voice_Of_Reason]Here you go NightRider…

http://www.polishaccent.com/2004_Marzec/Biskup%20na%20motorze.jpg

Bishop Wenski, Orlando.
[/quote]

Bishop Wenski of Orlando is AWESOME!! Thank you, Voice of Reason! If I ever get to Florida I hope I’ll get to meet him! Thank you for posting this photo! God bless! :tiphat:

Not only ear rings - they even wear dresses! (Granted, they have to be ankle length, black, and are called “Cassocks” :wink:

[quote=JimG]Earrings?? maybe, but I draw the line at nose rings and tongue studs.
[/quote]

I would draw the line at earrings. I think this is a very serious issue. How many Catholic schools do not allow boys to wear earrings? I would not allow my boys to wear earrings (not that they would ever, in a million years, want to).

When a male (any male, let alone a priest) decides to sport an earring, he is making a statement. It is said that when one changes their externals, they have changed their internals. What statement is a priest making when he wears an earring? A fashion statement? A sexual statement? Pay no attention to this collar, I am a man of the world statement? Priests and monks should not be making any of these statements. It is counter to their vow and vocation.

*Now that I have given it some thought :whacky: :whacky: (hmmm), :rolleyes: I agree, the line should definiely be drawn at earrings. *

*I wouldn’t feel comfortable around a priest who wears an earring…maybe I’m old-fashioned. :rolleyes: I still think that they can ride Harley’s though. :thumbsup: *

There’s Catholic nun that teaches in our school. She wears a two-piece bathing suit to our public pool.

Blessings,
*Shannin *

I don’t know the answer to the question, but our parish in Los Angeles has a priest who wears a diamond stud in his left ear. He also sports a ponytail. To my knowledge, he doesn’t ride a Harley, but in southern California, that wouldn’t be out of the question. I’m assuming the archbishop doesn’t object since he has celebrated Mass at our parish church with all parish priests in attendance.

Priests who wear earrings are conforming to a secular fashion that flaunts conservative values. What does that say about the priest? Is he uncomfortable with his own calling? Is he inviting suspicion and ridicule? Is he advertising his sexual preference?

I keep remembering back to college when the gays on campus explained to me how to “read” men with earrings.

The mantra is:
Left is right and Right is wrong.

So in otherwords, as long as the earring’s in the left ear, the man’s heterosexual…and if it’s in the right ear they’re homosexual. As long as the priest is conforming to that mantra, I’m OK with him wearing a $20 stud…vow of poverty or not.

I don’t know what to think. I don’t like it, but I know that sometimes when you know a person you can accept things like that because in many other ways they are wonderful.

I think that perhaps he might be trying to relate to the younger generation.

I did meet a Deacon that wore an earring, and rode a motorcycle. I thought it humorous.

From what I’ve heard (and I ain’t no expert) it depends on what coast you are on. I’ve heard that the left/right ear thing is reversed depending if you are on the East Coast or West Coast.

Maybe we’re just all focusing on the ear ring just a little too much. Maybe we should be focusing on the message the priest gives at mass on Sunday and not get so hung up on something so trivial. Next thread…

1 Like

Dear friends

My Priest could wear a hula skirt and dance a tango for all I care, it doesn’t affect in any way His vocation to be ‘another Christ’ and minister the Sacraments

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.