Priests and Celibacy

I have a couple questions about celibacy:

1. If celibacy is good for the spiritual life, why is by many proponents argued that it is unhealthy ie. Prostate cancer, bad for the prostate in general, it is unhealthy to keep sperm for long periods of time etc. etc.

2. Why is it that there are some priests having problems with celibacy which doesn’t even lead to masturbation or normal sex but perversion ie. Child molestation etc.

I am catholic but these are questions that are crossing mind. Could someone please clarify this?

Thanks!

[quote=Polska]I have a couple questions about celibacy:

1. If celibacy is good for the spiritual life, why is by many proponents argued that it is unhealthy ie. Prostate cancer, bad for the prostate in general, it is unhealthy to keep sperm for long periods of time etc. etc.
    [/quote]

What is the connection between celibacy being good for the spiritual life and a physical complication supposedly brought on by men not being sexually active? I can see none, please clarify. :slight_smile:

1. Why is it that there are some priests having problems with celibacy which doesn’t even lead to masturbation or normal sex but perversion ie. Child molestation etc.

Child molestation is not a symptom of celibacy but of a perverted view of sex. Celibacy has nothing to do with it. Many married men are child molesters, but they aren’t usually annonced in the news the way errant priests have been.

I am catholic but these are questions that are crossing mind. Could someone please clarify this?

Thanks!

You’re welcome. I’m glad you have come here to ask instead of swallowing whole and unquestioned the recent attacks against celibacy based on false claims about what it does to men’s sexuality.

In regards to question number 2. I don’t even know where to begin with that one. If I can’t have relations with someone (celebacy), I’m eventualy going to start having relations with children. That thought process is just rediculous. I have heard this argument many times and it just makes no sense what so ever.

2. Why is it that there are some priests having problems with celibacy which doesn’t even lead to masturbation or normal sex but perversion ie. Child molestation etc.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Regarding number 2, there is a large amount of documentation to suggest that Protestant clergy is troubled by a similar sexual abuse crisis (see reformation.com/), not to mention that the majority of sex abuse cases happen within families, often by married men. Priests have been made the bad guy because celibacy is an easy target for the mainstream media, which views this lifestyle as abnormal. Take for instance the stereotype that priests molest children, when the vast majority of Catholic sex-abuse cases were homosexual in nature, but with teenagers or adults. In addition, the vast majority of the priests named in the recent media frenzy committed their crimes decades ago, which makes the culprit the sexual revolution and lax seminaries more than celibacy.

Yes ok sure. But what about number #1. Isn’t not having sex or mastubating extremely unhealthy and unnatural, ie. Prostrate problems, prostate cancer etc.??

Well guys I did some more research. I am not biased, but there seems to be mixed scientific research about masturbation however there is a lot more scientific support that masturbation decreases chances of prostate cancer. However, we know how science is. But what you guys think about this?

I mean if it is true that masturbation decreases chances of prostate cancer, is that a good reason to think that its natural and therefore, if god does not allow us to do it, why are we being punished by it? What you think>

I don’t think anyone can make a cause and effect statement that celibacy causes prostate cancer. First of all, it’s a cancer that grows very slowly. You’re more likely to die of something else before it gets to you. Second, there’s evidence of a genetic predisposition to it. Third, if the body really needs to get rid of fluids, it will find a way to do it.

Okay, so what’s the health risk of women in religious life for not having sex?

The whole health argument for priests not being celibate is, IMHO, pretty unfounded.

Excuse me, but I think there are far more and far worse consequences from having sex than from celibacy. And it would be much easier to attribute these consequences as examples of God’s wrath than Prostrate Cancer. Incidentally, most scientists agree that a man WILL get prostrate cancer if he lives long enough.

Notworthy

Good responses!

Also, the body DOES get rid of excess semen through nocturnal emission.

I guess to answer the question as to whether or not celibacy causes prostate cancer, I would have to ask Jesus. I don’t ever remember reading about the Lord having prostate problems . . . .

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.” - St. Jerome

This is really delicate…how to proceed and all. Here goes :o

My husband had prostate trouble after the birth of our first child…and the doctor explained that it was the sudden cessation of activity…from being really active to stopping alltogether…that causes the difficulty.

Thinking of sperm production as you would a factory…x ammount is produced when demanded…when demand suddenly stops the body still produces the same amount as before…which is when things become backed up so to speak. :o

Priests who are celibate do not need to worry about this particular problem…lots of people are celibate and don’t experience problems…thinking of paraplegics or the mentally challenged. Pretty much proving that you don’t have to ejaculate to have a healthy prostate.

Prostate cancer is mostly hereditary…from everything that I’ve read anyway

1. Why is it that there are some priests having problems with celibacy which doesn’t even lead to masturbation or normal sex but perversion ie. Child molestation etc.
    Thanks!
    [/quote]

Polska,
Because there is a problem in society which demonic forces have their grips on people more than ever thanks to a secular society living in reletivism.

Check out www.reformation.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.