Priests approving contraception, NFP

I know of atealst 4 priests that say that a couple can use contraception. Basically they say its up to the spouses to decide if they want to contracept or not. Should I report these priests to the Bishop or their authorities?

I have counseled my friend at work about the evils of contraception and he went to 3 different priests that said he can use a condom and use contraception. Now he doesnt care anymore and is going to use a condom. The priest said as long as he doesnt use the morning after pill, its up to the couple. After my friend mention the Catechisms stance against contraception the priests says, “your not married to the book, your married to your wife.” I am grieving this.

I too have gone to priests who said its ok to use contraception. Even after I told them I know its intrinsically evil, they still said its ok for me to use it.

Has anyone else had or heard of priests approving of contraception?

Has anyone taken online NFP courses? Its really hard to find live classes to go to for the Sympto Thermal Method. This is something that needs more attention in the Church.

I Have to add this writing for couples where one spouse wants to contracept and the other does not. This document is the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more that can be said, incuding the abortifacient effect of the pill.
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/family/documents/rc_pc_family_doc_12021997_vademecum_en.html

Priests are human and can be misguided or mistaken.

Of course, not knowing the context, it could be regarding use in the case where the hormonal pills are treating some other condition and have the secondary effect of sterility. Or where one person is the innocent spouse in a marriage where the other spouse has taken steps to make themselves sterile.

In the case of using contraceptive devices or pills, or sterilization, to prevent pregnancy as the primary end, that contradicts Church teaching regarding the sixth commandment. It is in error.

Again, context. Did they say it from the pulpit, to you, or did you hear about it second hand? Did you converse with the priest afterwards and ensure you’d heard correctly and asked for clarification? Did you attempt to talk to the priest about this misinformation? (rhetorical questions, please don’t answer).

Depending on the situation, it might be appropriate to talk to the priest, to the pastor, or to someone at the diocese.

Pray for all priests, especially those who are in error on this teaching.

No, not personally. Only in internet stories.

If you **know for a fact **that they are saying it is okay to use contraception, then, yes, it would be appropriate to send a letter to the Bishop. But if this is just hearsay, you need to make sure first (which would mean talking to each specific Priest).

I have counseled my friend at work about the evils of contraception and he went to 3 different priests that said he can use a condom and use contraception. Now he doesnt care anymore and is going to use a condom. The priest said as long as he doesnt use the morning after pill, its up to the couple. After my friend mention the Catechisms stance against contraception the priests says, “your not married to the book, your married to your wife.” I am grieving this.

Are you sure your friend isn’t just lying to you? For 3 different priests to tell someone the same thing like that sounds far fetched. But if this is indeed true, then it is a serious matter. After confirming the facts, you could contact the Bishop. I would bet a small pocket of change that, when asked for these Priests’ contact information, your friend would magically forget their names.

I too have gone to priests who said its ok to use contraception. Even after I told them I know its intrinsically evil, they still said its ok for me to use it.

Has anyone else had or heard of priests approving of contraception?

As 1ke said, only on the internet…never in person.

Has anyone taken online NFP courses? Its really hard to find live classes to go to for the Sympto Thermal Method. This is something that needs more attention in the Church.

Contact the Couple to Couple League. We used that method and actually had someone come to our house for instruction. You could also start up your own outreach in this area at your parish. I have friends that got certified (or whatever it’s called) through the Creighton Method and now they hold NFP classes at their local parishes.

Thanks 1ke and Ahs.

Ahs,

I know this friend very well and he is practicing his faith and doing so well, he would not lie.

I was counselled by a priest that said “just slip on a condom.”

Good idea about NFP, this may be something I want to teach, although I’m short on time.

I’ve had two priests tell me to use contraception. One was perhaps misinformed, the other sadly, had an agenda.
I’ve struggled with this for some time and have just resolved to pray for them and be thankful for the good that they do. It must be hard being a priest in these times and especially in my current location.
Our bishop is a great man who was appointed about two years ago. He inherited a mess. I’m sure he is aware of problems like this and is doing his best.

I talked to two priests, one told me that, well basically to sum it up, it’s a sin but it’s something that I am just gonna have to confess for a while and another told me that it using condoms was fine for a little while.

The difference is this, I’m about to tell you why they said that. If my wife gets pregnant in the next 12-18 months it’s almost a medical certainty that the baby will suffer and possibly, slim possibility but possibly, die due to medical sugeries my wife has had.

Now I have 4 children, I am open to having more by the grace of God and once there is no more danger to the unborn baby I will stop using condoms.

The point I am trying to make is you don’t know all the conditions of why the priests said what they said. This guy could have presented a situation to the priest and then taken that and said well if I can use condoms in a certain situation why can’t I use them because I can’t afford children, or why can’t I use contraceptives if my house isn’t big enough for more children. He could be taking what the priests actually said and running with it to the extreme…

My suggestion is leave God to deal with the priests, if they have in fact done something wrong. You don’t know all the facts, and the one thing you do know is that 3 different priests are telling this guy the same thing. So I doubt it’s a teaching error, he probably isn’t giving you the whole story.

I’ve had two different priests advise me in the confessional that contraception may be the lesser evil. I don’t feel any need to “report” them. As it happens I’m in a situation where my wife is taking steps and will do so with or without my consent. She isn’t Catholic and is not remotely open to natural family planning. I discussed this situation with a third priest.

We learned via the book “Taking Charge of Your Fertility”, by Toni Weschler. The writer isn’t Catholic, but it’s well written. We’ve been using it for many years with success, both on the planning and avoiding side.

I have a friend who is a devout practicing Catholic, and does NOT believe in contraception under normal circumstances. She was married, at one time, to an abusive drug addict. Her priest allowed her to use contraception due to the circumstances of her marriage, before she was able to leave him.

Is not something that is ‘intrinsically evil’ as contraception is, sinful to do in all circumstances? The end doesnt justify the means.

This is a rare circumstance where force is being used and the possiblity of danger to the woman, which would negate it from being a sin. Correct me if I am wrong.

Why is nfp not an option?

Or temporary abstinence?

If God puts us in a situation where we are bound to act a certain way, He has surely given us the sufficient grace to do what He has asked us to do. We are never tempted beyond our strength. If pregnancy really is “too risky,” then the act ought to be abstained from entirely.

God gives us the power we need. Any other position would be utterly bleak and hopeless, or even worse, imply malice on the part of God (like Calvinism). All of the talk about mercy and accompaniment these days does not realize how plainly anti-hope the position is.

Contraception is never justifiable in a freely committed sex act. Any priest suggesting otherwise is at least confused, at worst is in a state of unbelief and disobedience and is committing the canonical crime of solicitation.

But one should not expect much to be done about it by a letter writing campaign. We can hope in God for these things, but probably not much in chanceries unless there is public preaching on the topic.

Priests are only human and can get it wrong. It’s up to us to help them if this happens. We need to pray for them

This makes clear why context is important. In your situation, tolerating your wife’s use of contraception may well be the better course.

Just to add to my post this is an awesome rebuttal of the propaganda people use to push contraception by Servant of God, Fr.John Hardon, SJ.

therealpresence.org/archives/Faith_and_Morals/Faith_and_Morals_003.htm

You are wrong. Contraception to prevent pregnancy is never permitted, no matter the circumstances.

My wife and I took the online version of the Couple to Couple League’s class on the STM. It was okay. If you go that route, I HIGHLY recommend that you buy the workbook, and read the chapters that correspond to the class. We did not do this, and the class was a bit hard to follow. We bought the book afterward and read it, and now it makes a lot more sense.

With the online class, you are given contact information for a teaching couple. So, you are not alone.

I have previously shown you the USCCB policy document governing treatment of patients in catholic hospitals, including post rape treatment. It is explicit that actions to prevent conception are permitted. Rape is not the conjugal act contemplated by teaching. Actions to terminate the rape are permitted at any stage, before penetration, before ejaculation and after.

We’ve gone through this in many threads. You are wrong. Contraception to prevent pregnancy is NEVER permitted no matter what the circumstances are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.