Priests: do you shy from

… what you actually might hear in the confessional?

Shy is the wrong word; I know Holy Orders is a calling. But when you first start as a Priest hearing confessions, there will be a series of “my first _______” confessional. Do you feel anything when these firsts come by?

Priests only please.

The priest knows you are confessing your sins to God not him. He takes no stand as s judge only one appointed by Jesus to have the authority to recieve a good confession to God.

[quote="JugglingReferee, post:1, topic:300702"]
... what you actually might hear in the confessional?

Shy is the wrong word; I know Holy Orders is a calling. But when you first start as a Priest hearing confessions, there will be a series of "my first _______" confessional. Do you feel anything when these firsts come by?

Priests only please.

[/quote]

Do you mean, like, the first time someone confessed to some sin? No, I can't say I shy away from it. I really enjoy hearing confessions, personally. I realize I'm not perfect, and I may make mistakes. Yes, the person is confessing to Jesus, and I know that theologically, but it's still me sitting in the confessional. It's not like I have an out of body experience for a half hour at a time.

I'm still starting out as a priest (ordained four months) so I'm still learning. The reality is that you can only "practice" hearing confessions so much in the seminary. there is something substantially different about it when doing it for real. you also quickly learn that no two people confess the same way. We have a lot of penitents in our parish, so there's not a lot of time for advice. I give what I can, and it is easier to counsel someone who is struggling with a sin or sins that I have personally, or am still personally, wrestling with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.