Priests having pets

Is it ok for priests to have pets? How do they manage to take care of pets and work at church at the same time?

Yes they can have pets. Father Corapi had two big Chesapeake Retrievers. My Aunt's priest has a cat and a parishoner takes care of him when the priest goes on vacation

If I'm not mistaken, the pope has a cat.

Each of the three priests in my parrish has a dog. Priests are human, too, and can reap the emotional benefits of caring for another, non-human, living being. Tending a Catholic flock is tremendously difficult, more than you and I will probably ever know, and priests deserve animal comanionship if they want it.

Yes, of course they can. I know of a priest who has a cat, one that has a dog, etc.

They can easily take care of a pet and parish. It's a lonely life for them sometimes. Let them have some pleasures!

[quote="UnityofTrinity, post:1, topic:245745"]
Is it ok for priests to have pets? How do they manage to take care of pets and work at church at the same time?

[/quote]

Why would there be anything wrong with it?

At least one of our parish priests has a cute little dustmop of a dog. Always a conversation-starter.

I think this plays into the misconception that a priest is 24/7 on his Church duties and doesn't have time for anything. Priests have pretty much normal lives like the rest of us, there is time for fun and recreation, and a time for having pets.

One priest in our diocese allows his dog to follow him up onto the sanctuary during daily Mass. Pooch just lays down quietly and stays in one place. Whatchathink?

Our Archbishop has three dogs. I see no problem with it.

[quote="UnityofTrinity, post:1, topic:245745"]

[/quote]

the same way any pet owner who also has a full time job finds time to care for his pets. Ours had birds, neighbor pastor has dogs, the other has a cat.

Our Bishop has two golden retrievers. I think his secretary takes care of them. And the Bishop just enjoys them. But they don't come to church--I don't think they are baptized Catholics! :D
And I know of others who have pets.

Good for the priests.

[quote="Rolltide, post:3, topic:245745"]
If I'm not mistaken, the pope has a cat.

[/quote]

You know I heard that also or maybe I read it but I do know that Pope BenedictXVI does like cats.

[quote="Jim_Dandy, post:8, topic:245745"]
One priest in our diocese allows his dog to follow him up onto the sanctuary during daily Mass. Pooch just lays down quietly and stays in one place. Whatchathink?

[/quote]

I think it is great and the dog is probably better behaved than most of the people.

a priest from another parish that I sometimes visit has a dog I think it is a springer spaniel the dog sort of lookes like President George Bush Sr’s dog Millie a very sweet dog I always make time to pet him when I visit that parish

Our diocesan newspaper recently had an article about our priests and their dogs; none had a yellow lab, but then priests aren't perfect. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy

the queen wrote:

I think it is great and the dog is probably better behaved than most of the people.

:rotfl:

I was talking to my Aunt in Garrison ND and many years ago they had a priest that had and ran cattle!!!! I am sure it didn't compromise his pastorial duties. I am told that a diosesan priest can have what he wants AS LONG it doesn't compromise his pastorial duties. My friend who is a priest that I talk to a lot has three huge old cars and loves to drive them. My other Aunt in Minnesota has a priest that has a cat and when he goes on vacation he leaves his cat with a parishoner that loves cats and he has no worries what to with his cat. If I ever become a pirest I plan on having a cat,I am sure if i had 10 cats it would pose a problem but one cat or one dog nah no biggie. I would love to have cockatoo!!!. Would love to have a nice dressage horse but let's not push it. I love cats and I have one now. If i go to seminary I have to leave him with my parents. That is the thing as I am told as long as what the priest owns or does as a hobby don't interfere with his duties than have at it.

[quote="Jim_Dandy, post:8, topic:245745"]

[/quote]

I don't think the Sanctuary is a place for animals.

I;ve always wondered about this question, too. The conflict in my mind has to do with vows of poverty. I had the idea that a priest is to have no possessions. A priest in my old diocese who was a young priest of only a few years got a dog, then about six months later, he had a red convertible to drive around on his day off. I thought it was a little strange at the time and have often wondered about it. Thinking of the dog, and the comfort and companionship, I realize it could be a good thing, but I had a question about the expense associated with a pet, veterinary bills, and dog sitting services etc.

[quote="Sherry_G, post:19, topic:245745"]
I;ve always wondered about this question, too. The conflict in my mind has to do with vows of poverty. I had the idea that a priest is to have no possessions. A priest in my old diocese who was a young priest of only a few years got a dog, then about six months later, he had a red convertible to drive around on his day off. I thought it was a little strange at the time and have often wondered about it. Thinking of the dog, and the comfort and companionship, I realize it could be a good thing, but I had a question about the expense associated with a pet, veterinary bills, and dog sitting services etc.

[/quote]

Right. Well that priest you are talking about probably is a diocesan priest who does not take the vow of poverty. Priests get a stipend every two weeks,, atleast in the Springfield Mo diocese. Priests are considered contractors as far as taxes go and they must fill oout a 1099. So they must save for taxes and what charities they want to give to and they also pay into retirment. What is left is theirs to use for whatever.grocieries are paid for by the diocese My friend who is a priest here in Springfield has three huge old cars. He enjoys them. As long as it don't interfere with his pastorial duties it is fine. Same thing for a dog or cat. exotic animals like horses birds and reptiles I am sure as long as it is not impeding his duties or is a burdon on the diocese . A religous priest is a different animal he has to ask his superior if he can have this or that. But not diocesan priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.