Priests mixing in some Latin with the vernacular during Mass

Does your priest intersperse some Latin with the vernacular in his Mass parts?

If so, which Mass parts?

Does he explain what he is saying some how?

What do you think of it? (Good or bad)

How does the rest of the congregation like it? (Assuming that they know zero Latin)

My parish regularly sings the Kyrie (Lord have mercy) in Greek. We sometimes sing the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) in Latin. Both of these are short prayers that people have memorized so they know what is being said even if they don’t understand the language. This principle would work for the Sanctus too.

Oh, you mean the way the Mass was supposed to be done according to Vatican II? With the people taught the various Latin responses that were their part in the Mass, like the Gloria, the Credo, the Sanctus, the Agnus Dei, and sometimes the Pater Noster?

Yes, we have those in Latin quite often. They’re printed out in inserts and kept in the regular hymnals, and during the Christmas and Easter Season if different settings are to be sung, they’re also printed on sheets for the congregation, and if necessary, the choir goes over them.

I love it but then again I’m 53 so I still have memories of the Mass in Latin, plus I had 4 years of high school Latin and it’s familiar enough to me. The congregation, young and old, has not complained in my hearing! If anything, they seem to enjoy the Latin and the youngsters love learning to say the Ave Maria and the Pater Noster in Latin too. They sing as loudly whether we’re singing “Pange Lingua” or “Praise to the Lord”.

“Kyrie (Lord have mercy) in Greek. Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) in Latin, the Sanctus and the Ecce Agnus Dei, ecce qui tollit peccata mundi. (Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who taketh away the sins of the world. When he holds up the Host.”

My pastor has added these latin words and we understand them with no problem. He did originally tell us what he would be doing and why.

How did he originally tell the congregation, and what reasons did he give for these changes? Thank you.

Out of intrest Vat II - Sacrosanctum Concilium - said…

1. Particular law remaining in force, the use of the Latin language is to be preserved in the Latin rites.
  1. But since the use of the mother tongue, whether in the Mass, the administration of the sacraments, or other parts of the liturgy, frequently may be of great advantage to the people, the limits of its employment may be extended. This will apply in the first place to the readings and directives, and to some of the prayers and chants, according to the regulations on this matter to be laid down separately in subsequent chapters.

2. In Masses which are celebrated with the people, a suitable place may be allotted to their mother tongue. This is to apply in the first place to the readings and “the common prayer,” but also, as local conditions may warrant, to those parts which pertain to the people, according to tho norm laid down in Art. 36 of this Constitution.

Nevertheless **steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them. **

+++

Personally I don’t see why we can’t have the Introductory Rite, Kyrie (Greek), Gloria, the responses for the Litury of the Word, Sanctus, the lift up your heart (Sursum Corda) bit, Pater Noster (our Father), Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) and the ordinaries of the Concluding Rite in Latin.

We don’t do this at our parish… I had no idea that they did this anywhere. I like the idea though. We do get a Latin Mass once a month though.

The homily is in the vernacular… :stuck_out_tongue:

There was a visiting priest at our parish who said the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei in Latin and everyone was thrilled with it. Usually, though, it’s all in English.

We had O Salutaris Hostia played at the last OF I attended. I was surprised so many still knew the Latin lyrics.

No latin at our masses.

We regularly do the Kyrie (in Greek), the Gloria, Pater and Sanctus in Latin at our parish.

At my parish, the Kyrie is in Greek, and the Sanctus and Agnus Dei are both in Latin chant. All the rest is English, although we have a high Latino population, who attend separate Spanish Masses. I believe they also use these Greek and Latin parts.

I have often wanted to request a Mass in Latin, to equally confuse both populations :slight_smile:

At our Mass (a Benedictine abbey):

Latin Propers (introit, gradual, alleluia, offertory and communion antiphons)
Greek/latin Kyriale (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei)
French plainchant for the rest.

As a bonus, Lauds and Vespers are in Latin Gregorian chant except for the readings and the intercessions.

For the other hours, French plainchant except for the hymn, responsory, and Marian antiphon after Compline.

At my parish, we do in Latin (or the appropriate non-vernacular language)

The Kyrie
The Agnus Dei
Hymns sung by the choir
Occasional hymn from the hymnal
Regina Caeli (at the end of Mass during Easter)

We occasionally do more or less. I’d like to see the Our Father in Latin, as well as the responses (dominus vobiscum, etc.). It’s great, on the whole. Very enthusiastic parish.

For daily Masses, we sing the Agnus Dei in Latin for ferial days and optional memorials. For memorials, the Kyrie is chanted in Greek and the Sanctus is sung in Latin as well as the Agnus Dei. For feasts, the propers are chanted in English in addition to the above chants. For solemnities, all Mass parts are sung, usually in Latin, and hymns are added in the proper places. If we’re lucky, we’ll get a musician to accompany us.

For Sundays, the Agnus Dei is the only Latin piece at present, but we’re trying to expand the use of Latin to the other Mass parts. The Kyrie is regularly sung in Greek, and the propers and prefaces are always sung in English.

My dream is to get our choirs familiar with several Latin Mass settings which can be changed regularly for the liturgical seasons, but at the moment, certain members are rebelling against the use of any Latin. Unfortunately, many have no sense of what sacred music means or sounds like.

My priest often says the words of consecration in Latin. A few Sundays ago he said the whole Eucharistic prayer in Latin. I enjoyed it, it gave me the feeling of being in the one, timeless and universal Liturgy.

About 2x per month we have the Kyrie in Greek, and the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei in Latin. Over the past 3 years or so, we’ve had the Credo in Latin maybe 3 times and the Pater Noster only once that I know of. Never had the Confiteor, Orate Fratres or other parts in Latin.

It strikes me this is an easy one for parishes to implement since VII mandates it. It’s politics and nothing else that keeps it completely out of Mass.

We have the Agnus Dei and the Sanctus at every Mass. Also a prayer at the foot of the Alter , after Mass.
Not much participation in the latin–I’m not sure why, the prayers are plainly typed out and laminated and put in the pews. Good participation in the prayer after Mass.
I personally am thrilled at both the latin and the prayer after Mass! I only wish there was more of it!

The Kyrie Eleison in Greek every Sunday, the Agnus Dei and Sanctus in Latin every day during Lent, and the entire Eucharistic Prayer in Latin on Ash Wednesday is the extent of it for us. Very nice, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.