Priest's required actions during the Institution narrative?

When the priest says the Institution Narrative (Take this, all of you, and eat it: this is my body which will be given up for you), must he hold the bread in his fingers? I’ve been attending daily Mass at a parish other than my own (I’m on the road) and the priest held up the paten, not the bread. I think there were unconsecrated hosts in the paten, though I could not see for sure. The words were right, the matter was right (I think) and I have to assume the intention was there, so the Mass must have been valid.

I’ve always seen the priest actually hold the host in his hands as he bends over it and says the institution narrative, and then further hold up the (now consecrated) host for the adoration of the faithful. This priest did neither, during each of four daily Masses that I attended.

There were many other liturgical abuses that I observed during the four daily Masses that I attended, and this gives me some doubt about the liceity of the Masses. The priest wore an alb and stole, no chasuble. He did not wash his hands. He left the sanctuary at the sign of peace and shook the hands of each and every person in the congregation (10-15 people). Twice, he did not preach the homily at the specified time, but after communion. He changed many of the required words. For example, instead of “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper,” he said “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. How blessed are we who are able to receive him.” At each Mass, a layperson went up to the area behind the altar before the fraction rite. This layperson opened the tabernacle, removed the ciborium, and placed it on the altar, and remained standing behind the altar. The priest gave the layperson a consecrated host (without saying “The Body of Christ”) before the Agnus Dei. The layperson communicated before the priest.:eek: (I’ve never even seen a concelebrating priest do that) This layperson then served as EMHC for the cup.

I am so blessed at my home parish to have priests who say the black and do the red. Period, no ad-libs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.