Priests targeted, attacked in Scotland

An arson attack—that destroyed a garage, burnt out two priests’ cars and very nearly a church—plus robbery from an 80-year-old priest show that Scotland’s clergy are, once again, being targeted by opportunistic criminals.

***This story blames opportunistic thieves and vandal but people posting on social media have raised concerns about sectarianism and a back lash against the Church in Scotland over: its opposition to a same-sex ‘marriage’ bill, which politicians passed in principle this week and a bid to legalise assisted suicide in the country; tension over the scandals that came to light about the Scottish Church this year and nerves over the vote on Scottish independence next year.

To read the original story visit: sconews.co.uk/latest-edition/33051/priests-under-attack/

For the priests in Scotland I pray:

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down with favor upon Thy people, who cry to Thee; and through the intercession of the glorious and Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of her Spouse, Blessed Joseph, of Thy holy apostles, Peter and Paul, and all the saints, mercifully and graciously hear the prayers, which we pour forth to Thee, for the priests in Scotland that are under attack and for the exaltation of Holy Mother Church. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. We humbly beseech God to command him: and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the divine power thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits who roam through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

May God protect them.

‘Blessed are you when men persecute you and say all sorts of evil against you for my name’s sake. Rejoice, for great is your reward in Heaven’

I wonder if the police are doing anything (proactively) to protect them?

This is terrible…I love Scotland and was hoping this sort of thing was to be left in the past, but I should know better with an increasingly progressive liberal mentality all over the world.

Add to that the fact that even today there is a strong antipathy towards Catholics, practicing or otherwise, in some sectors of Scottish society - just go to any Rangers game.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.