Priests tell jokes in homilies, incite laughter, clapping, vs. reverence

Hi,
I was thought that you do not laugh or clap in mass. Not even at weddings. If you are in a church where the Blessed Sacrament is present in the Tabernacle, you are reverent.

I went to a healing ministry by a Charismatic Priest where he spoke over several nights in the church about healing spiritual problems. There was much laughter at his jokes during his speeches.

A couple of weekends ago, a priest leads us to giving a round of applause to the choir at the end of the mass.

Priest seem to constantly feel the need to tell a joke and do it in a way that incites laughter from the "audience." I have seen some priest use humor in such a way that does not actually cause people to laugh out loud.

Priest have visitors stand up and be recognized.

I thought I understood what was going on at the mass, and it does not make me want to laugh while I am there or clap for random people while I am in the presence of Almighty God.

Also what about those people who taught me I should always be reverent when in a church no matter what. Is this view of reverence appropriate?
Is my definition of reverence wrong?

Do the Popes do these things?
God invented humor. Seems like a little humor is appropriate ever now and then or during the Charasmatic Priest's presentations?
I'm confused.
what are your thoughts?
J

[quote="js_cat3391, post:1, topic:313200"]
Hi,
I was thought that you do not laugh or clap in mass. Not even at weddings. If you are in a church where the Blessed Sacrament is present in the Tabernacle, you are reverent.

I went to a healing ministry by a Charismatic Priest where he spoke over several nights in the church about healing spiritual problems. There was much laughter at his jokes during his speeches.

A couple of weekends ago, a priest leads us to giving a round of applause to the choir at the end of the mass.

Priest seem to constantly feel the need to tell a joke and do it in a way that incites laughter from the "audience." I have seen some priest use humor in such a way that does not actually cause people to laugh out loud.

I thought I understood what was going on at the mass, and it does not make me want to laugh while I am there or clap for random people while I am in the presence of Almighty God.

Also what about those people who taught me I should always be reverent when in a church no matter what. Is this view of reverence appropriate?

God invented humor. Seems like a little humor is appropriate ever now and then or during the Charasmatic Priest's presentations?
I'm confused.
what are your thoughts?
J

[/quote]

This goes on all too frequently in my parish as well! I don't care for it either...:(

The Holy Father Benedict XVI had this to say about applause (the quote is snipped from a larger one about "liturgical dance")

I go to a parish with 3 priests.

1- old, stogy and somewhat heretical. He wants to inform you of things, slightly high-brow

2-middle aged go with the flow type, narry a homily that has real substance.

3-around 60 but lively preacher, encourages laughing, answering questions and even "Amens" he is fearless, not afraid to call out any sin, birth control, abortion, sex before marriage (and between people of the same gender), the reality of Hell,

I'd take priest 3 any time...sure, he's different, but his impact is deep and he is not afraid of the truth.

[quote="Elizium23, post:3, topic:313200"]
The Holy Father Benedict XVI had this to say about applause (the quote is snipped from a larger one about "liturgical dance")

[/quote]

do you have a link to the document

[quote="mab23, post:5, topic:313200"]
do you have a link to the document

[/quote]

it is a excerpt from Cardinal Ratzinger's book The Spirit of the Liturgy

Hi,

[/quote]

Applause is not inherently irreverent. It is perfectly permissible to applaud at a concert that happens to take place in a church.

Not a problem.

Not appropriate.

Not a problem if done during the homily. Homilies are forms of rhetoric; the priest must seize and hold the attention of his listeners. Humor as a form of capturing goodwill (captatio benevolentiae) is fairly common. Obviously, during the scripted parts of the Mass the priest should stick to the script.

Hi,

I'm confused.
what are your thoughts?
J

[/quote]

My dear friend, I believe that God is indeed a very joyous personality, He has been shown to pull some practical jokes from time to time and as long as we keep our perspective that there is a time and a place for everything then I don't think He will disapprove of it.
Mass has several components to it and we should make sure we give each it's proper weight.

The maximum reverence is when the priest invokes the Most High to accept the gifts at this moment we should all be in "adoration" mode focusing on God.
The homily is supposed to makes us reflect on our lives and how to better become Christians true followers of Christ.
There sometimes the priest might elicit some laughter even inadvertedly (it has happened at the masses I have attended) where he was not making a joke but some circunstance happens and it comes out as one.
At this instance we are or should be in "learn" mode, remember we had first heard the 2 readings followed by the gospel and homily.
A lesson heard in joy might sink in better than one given out in stern tones. Mind you some time that too is appropriate.
So as long as no one laughs or claps their hands at the high point of mass it's ok.
I mean after the communion the priest makes the parish announcements, that he thanks the choir for a beatiful interpretation surely is not out of place nor for the parishoners to show their appreciation.
Yes they are there for the Glory of God but we too can thank them for bringing us a little closer to Him! Can't we?
So as long as we keep a modicum of respect for the place we are in even some laughter should be ok, if you read the lifes of many Saints you will find out that they were not devoid of laughter and joy.

just my worthless :twocents:

God bless!!

I think we as a Catholic people have lost a sense of the Numinous. To be in the presence of the Divine ought to cause us to be astounded into Great Silence.

As author and poet Annie Dillard said (paraphrasing): if Catholics really understood what was happening at the Mass we’d all be wearing crash helmets and not dainty little Sunday hats to Mass!

Indeed!

[/quote]

hoo boy,maybe I should forward this to our Litugical Director!;)

[quote="peacoat, post:4, topic:313200"]
I go to a parish with 3 priests.

1- old, stogy and somewhat heretical. He wants to inform you of things, slightly high-brow

2-middle aged go with the flow type, narry a homily that has real substance.

3-around 60 but lively preacher, encourages laughing, answering questions and even "Amens" he is fearless, not afraid to call out any sin, birth control, abortion, sex before marriage (and between people of the same gender), the reality of Hell,

I'd take priest 3 any time...sure, he's different, but his impact is deep and he is not afraid of the truth.

[/quote]

Interesting. I would take priest 1 or 2 before 3. #3 Sounds like a catechism class, not a Mass. A priest does not need to do all that stuff in a Mass to teach.

[quote="js_cat3391, post:11, topic:313200"]
Interesting. I would take priest 1 or 2 before 3. #3 Sounds like a catechism class, not a Mass.

[/quote]

Wait... you'd take a "somewhat heretical" priest over a priest who is orthodox but has sense of humor?

Our parish priest often invites brief clapping from the congregation as gratitude or acknowledgement of a contribution. We clap our hands to thank the choir for a lot of work in the Easter services, or to acknowledge an announcement from a St Vincent De Paul speaker, or to thank a visiting priest on his last Sunday with us. Although the action is the same as for applause, it is definitely not the same thing.

I would be alarmed if a congregation broke into spontaneous "applause" as if for a performance, but I have rarely, if ever, encountered it.

[quote="choliks, post:12, topic:313200"]
Wait... you'd take a "somewhat heretical" priest over a priest who is orthodox but has sense of humor?

[/quote]

Sorry. no. i forgot he wrote heretical. He set up his priestly choices to make option 3 look better, but I do not like any of them.

[quote="PRmerger, post:9, topic:313200"]
I think we as a Catholic people have lost a sense of the Numinous. To be in the presence of the Divine ought to cause us to be astounded into Great Silence.

As author and poet Annie Dillard said (paraphrasing): if Catholics really understood what was happening at the Mass we'd all be wearing crash helmets and not dainty little Sunday hats to Mass!

Indeed!

[/quote]

I like this. thanks.

As I recall, if a secular concert is held in a church, the Blessed Sacrament is to be removed from the tabernacle and reposed elsewhere during the ‘show’. :wink:

Originally Posted by Benedict XVI
Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment.

[/quote]

This is very interesting, I must read more on this. thanks.

Does that include all non-Mass activities? If so, I stand corrected indeed.

You guys are gonna freak out when all the Churches finally unite under the Holy Father and all the non-Catholic Christians come to Mass.

Hundreds of Baptists are going to come and they are gonna sing so loud that it gives you a headache, clapping and stomping :clapping:, praising Jesus :extrahappy: and raising their hands :bowdown2: during the opening collect.

The Evangelical converts are going to become priests and deacons, and homiles are going to be two hours long. :okpeople:

And forget about handshakes, Methodists are just gonna huuuuuuuuuuuuuug you to death during the sign of peace. :hug1:

What are you all gonna do then? I hope I live to see all yall's faces. :D

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:19, topic:313200"]
You guys are gonna freak out when all the Churches finally unite under the Holy Father and all the non-Catholic Christians come to Mass.

Hundreds of Baptists are going to come and they are gonna sing so loud that it gives you a headache, clapping and stomping :clapping:, praising Jesus :extrahappy: and raising their hands :bowdown2: during the opening collect.

The Evangelical converts are going to become priests and deacons, and homiles are going to be two hours long. :okpeople:

And forget about handshakes, Methodists are just gonna huuuuuuuuuuuuuug you to death during the sign of peace. :hug1:

What are you all gonna do then? I hope I live to see all yall's faces. :D

-Tim-

[/quote]

This will be the look on my face, if the Evangelicals, Methodists, Baptists come join us at the Feast:

whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/34852992067/finding-out-my-best-friend-passed-the-bar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.