Prime-time TV not gay enough: study

Prime-time TV not gay enough: study

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Are U.S. television networks gay enough? Not yet, but ABC is getting close, according to a gay-rights group.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has given the Walt Disney Co.-owned network the highest marks of any of the five major broadcast networks in the group’s first-ever report rating depictions of gay, lesbian and transgender characters and issues on prime-time TV.
The study assigned grades of “excellent,” “good,” “fair” or “failing” based on the number of “impressions,” or occurrences, of gay characters, discussions or themes counted during 4,693 hours of programming examined from June 2006 through May 2007.
No network was rated as excellent. But ABC received a grade of “good” with 171 hours of gay-inclusive TV last season, accounting for 15 percent of its prime-time programming.

more…

http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

That is all I have to say

No wonder I can’t find anything worth watching on the TV these days (except for the cable channels carrying re-runs of stuff from my childhood and before).

I’m so glad I don’t watch prime time tv.

:amen:

:amen:

Hey;…wait a minute…:mad: what about those networks? They are failing! Shame on them! We should shut them all down.:mad:

They’re not

CATHOLIC

enough!!!

:doh2:

No, wait, they’re not fill in race enough.

No, wait, they’re not fill in religion enough

No, wait, there are more men actors than women

No wait, there are more women than men

Do any of these networks have a satisfactory representation of PETA members in their shows? What about Greenpeace? How about stay at home moms? Working dads? Dog breeders?
What about the dog breeders??

Are they republican enough?

Are they democratic enough?

And there is way too much English spoken on tv these days. What about those immigrants from take your pick?

But wait, shoudl the commercials be gay too? Should every other commercial be gay? But wait, what about all the above groups mentioned/net mentioned? When would they get their commercials?

:mad:

No, wait, they’re not fill in race enough.

No, wait, they’re not fill in religion enough

No, wait, there are more men actors than women

No wait, there are more women than men

Do any of these networks have a satisfactory representation of PETA members in their shows? What about Greenpeace? How about stay at home moms? Working dads? Dog breeders?
What about the dog breeders??

Are they republican enough?

Are they democratic enough?

And there is way too much English spoken on tv these days. What about those immigrants from take your pick?

But wait, shoudl the commercials be gay too? Should every other commercial be gay? But wait, what about all the above groups mentioned/net mentioned? When would they get their commercials?

So true. I don’t whether to laugh or cry. I hope that some day the era of the perpetually offended will cease and we can get back to entertainment and not have to worry whether or not we have filled someone’s quota.

I haven’t watched television since 2003. Stuff like this is a classic example of why I haven’t.

It is no longer a mystery to me why Fred Reed (who lives in Mexico) has said that his Mexican neighbors refer to the United States as “the asylum to the north”.

He also refers to televisions as “lobotomy boxes”, but that’s another story. :wink:

Glad I got rid of my TV. :smiley:

What ever happened to making great TV for the sake of great TV instead of worrying about the quotas and special interest groups? I miss Archie Bunker. Okay, I wasn’t even born yet when that show was on, but I miss the idea of him. All In The Family, in my opinion one of the best shows ever on TV, wouldn’t last three episodes now because of the ACLU and the other politically correct police. And I think we don’t just suffer morally, I feel we suffer creatively as well. Apparently freedom of speech is only allowed when you don’t offend anyone. I say political correctness is a disease sent to stifle us morally, creatively, and spiritually.

Slightly getting off topic there…but I’m tired of special interest groups running the country.

I haven’t subscribed to Cable since 2001 and I do not plan on getting a tv antenna either!

All I do watch ARE the DVD of shows and movies I grew up, and other safer material. (Who says nothing is wrong with the sitcomes of the first 30 years of televison!:thumbsup:

gay activists had better pray TV does not get “gay enough”. When TV portrays gay characters it does so the same way it did when black shows and characters were introduced in the 70s: as the most outrageous and offensive stereotypes it can find. Remember Jimmy Walker and George Jefferson? Not to mention the steady stream of black villains, gang-bangers and pimps on the drama shows. Of course when Ellen decides she is a lesbian, we do observe that the writers of that show are familiar with only 3 types of women: the whiney daddy’s girl who never grows up, the sexy promiscuous career-woman, both of whom dress and make-up in fashion extremes. If there is a character with a normal every day plain short hair, conservative clothing and makeup style, of course she is a lesbian, there is no other alternative.

Now I know why I watch DYI much of the time :mad:

That’s funny…everytime you watch a show it seems like there must be one gay character in a comedy/drama series or all the “pop culture” male gurus seem to be out there. I’d be upset if I was black because they are more of a majority and they don’t always get a spot on every show. (The only Catholics we seem to see are portrayed on shows as ignoramuses or abusers…ugh.)

I don’t bother with TV, and all that’s watched publicly in our house is quiz shows and home improvement. I don’t understand why most people don’t wait to find out what the good shows are and watch them on DVD like my friends do.

Just watch EWTN from now on.

Being that the gays don’t represent more than 5% of the population, I don’t see why I should have to look at them in entertainment. I really don’t find their life style intresting. It’s not that I hate them or condone unjust treatment of them.

There is a channel dedicated to gays, let them look at that.

Imagine if TV was said in Latin.:smiley:

It would have taken place in Ancient Rome and that society tolerated homosexuality too…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.