Princeton Professor: Climate Change Activists are a ‘Cult’

Princeton Professor: Climate Change Activists are a ‘Cult’

By Nick Giampia Published February 17, 2017 FOXBusiness

Princeton physics professor William Happer explains why he describes some climate change scientists as a 'cult.'

. . . . “You know I think most of the climate change we’re seeing is natural, the climate has always changed…,” he said. . . . .

“It’s a problem with science illiteracy and most people don’t realize that the normal C02 levels have typically been measured in thousands of parts per million, not the puny 400 or so we have today and the Earth thrives. So the idea that the Earth has never had high C02 levels, it’s completely false, most of the time it’s never had such low levels as we have now,” he said.

Even though Happer isn’t an advocate for climate change, he doesn’t dismiss the experts who are looking into the science behind whether climate change could be due to human activity.

“There are many very good climate scientists I especially admire. . . . .

foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/02/17/princeton-professor-climate-change-activists-are-cult.html

Great Article!!!

From the article

“Some people like Stephen Hawking are concerned that the record-breaking increase in the Earth’s temperature could pose a serious danger to the planet unless we start decreasing the use of fossil fuels. However, Happer said people need to pay more attention to the statistics and look less at the polls to get their facts about climate change.”

About stats…
there is a stat that more humans are eaten by sharks on days more icecream is sold.

Stats can be very misleading

“It’s a problem with science illiteracy and most people don’t realize that the normal C02 levels have typically been measured in thousands of parts per million, not the puny 400 or so we have today and the Earth thrives. So the idea that the Earth has never had high C02 levels, it’s completely false, most of the time it’s never had such low levels as we have now,” he said.

He’s right that we shouldn’t worry about the Earth, life will adapt. I’m just concerned about the fate of one species in particular.

Here is a shark in a river system ( they arent known for being in rivers, if they are ocean going sharks) waiting for those icecream buying stats to peak. In Sydney, near the airport.

au.be.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real-life/a/34468885/massive-shark-lurks-in-sydney-river-yahoo7-be/#page1

Well being a scientist himself, he would know randomly throwing out figures like that is passe. That needs a reference. Being a physics professor wont exempt you from the ire of your fellow scientists if you run off figures and stats without references.

As Pilate said

‘What is truth’

Being an innocent east coast visitor, I learned many years ago that swimming near surfers in So. Florida waters got them nervous because it might get the attention of bull sharks.

So now you believe the statements of the academic elite?

I’ve always maintained there were experts on both sides and no consensus on a fact

Some poor guy here went spear fishing the other day, he dove off rocks almost straight into the welcoming jaws of a shark. He is very lucky to be alive, lost a leg and still fighting for life. Very smart friends saved his life.

abc.net.au/news/2017-02-18/shark-attack-man-bitten-on-leg-serious-injuries-cardwell/8282850

My Bro in law goes surfing off a spot famous for seal colonies and sharks, its a matter of time…:whale::swimming_man:

Now to stay on topic… climate change = hot weather = more water sports = more easy shark food = fatter sharks = shark population explosion…

I wonder if that physics professor could cash in and create a shark deterrant people can wear.

What more could be said ?

If you are going to to give weight to this professor’s view because he is an expert, then you should count up the number of such experts that agree with him and compare that with the number of experts who strongly disagree with him. On the other hand, if you are not going to appeal to authority, then you should ignore him completely. Selectively appealing to authority only when it confirms your bias is really just going with what you personally believe.

It’s not

It’s not “record breaking”.

Not even CLOSE to being record breaking.

Consensus only matters when drinking … but certainly not in science.

What about when scientists are drinking?

I like people who speak their mind even if they know it is an unpopular position, but they want to make their point. especially in today’s PC culture.

Of course the climate changes and has changed drastically throughout history over. It cycles over thousands of years, and has been vastly different over millions, sometimes leading to vast extinctions of life. No one denies this.

The concern is about what is driving the current changes and the impact on human developments, agriculture, cities, livelihoods, and lives.

And it should be noted that a physicist is not a scientist who studies climate data for a living.

It does matter for those of us who are not experts.

Actually, it technically doesn’t. Much like absolute Truth, what is true is true, regardless of the number of people who believe in it or who reject it.

What is actually affecting the climate is not dictate by what the greatest number of people agree on, whether that be human action or natural cycles. The entire world could believe that humans are the driving factor behind climate change and that would mean that’s actually what’s doing it. Similarly, no one could believe we’re behind it, and we very well may be. Scientific consensus on the issue can point us in the right direction, but having a consensus doesn’t actually make it true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.