Private Revelation

I don’t know if this is the correct thread, sorry if it’s not. I’ve been wondering about something for a while: are we allowed to believe in and share private revelations if they happened to someone personally?

I don’t see why not.

And it shall come to pass, in the last days, (saith the Lord,) I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

This is a question for a Spiritual. Director or an Apologist.

Promoting unapproved private revelations is prohibited according to forum rules. Click on “Help” above and you can find the sticky where the rules are stated.

If you wish to share some private revelation with a particular member then I do not believe doing so through private messaging violates the rules,but I could be wrong. Best to ask a moderator.

My parents and other family members have shared ‘private revelations’ and it serves to edify the person to whom it was revealed to, and to those near them, meaning family. Everyone else will scoff and disbelieve, including a ‘spiritual director’ or an ‘apologist’. Unless the revelation, like the one to San Juan Diego, where the Virgin urged him and gave him a message he had to share. The account includes his own Bishop scoffing at the mere peasant. If your revelation is of the same intensity, tell your priest. Those here on CAF will most likely be like the saint above’s Bishop.

I’ve had posts edited to redact some links or references to things that fall into that territory. It’s their site. I take a break when I get annoyed, and get back to work writing for people who pay me for it. But I always come back. :wink:

They call it private for a reason. A good spiritual director can help a person discern validity. Always go with the advice of a trusted confessor or SD.
Strangers on the internet don’t know anyone’s spiritual state.
Peace.

Every single approved “revelation” (outside Scripture) was once “private”, including Fatima, Lourdes, and so on.

If the recipients of the “private revelation” hadn’t persevered in their faith in the revelation they received, we wouldn’t have any approved apparitions for example. And in every case, they copped a certain amount of ridicule from official Catholic figures, amongst others.

Here is a bit about opposition to the children (!) who witnessed Mary’s apparition at Fatima.

From this link - fatima.org/essentials/opposed/cvrup4.asp

Unwanted Attention

Seven-year-old Jacinta, however, was unable to contain her excitement about this first vision, and mentioned it to her mother. Word soon spread through their small rural community. Some immediately accepted the vision as an authentic apparition of the Virgin Mary, but others — including Church officials — were skeptical. Crowds of both believers and curiosity-seekers gathered to watch Lucia and her cousins at the later apparitions (about 50 people came in June; 5,000 in July; 15,000 in August; and 30,000 in September), and at the final one, some 70,000 people witnessed the famous Miracle of the Sun.

Intensive Investigation

By July, the local mayor found the popular reaction to these events disturbing, and subjected all three children to intensive questioning in August. At one point,** after being held in prison for 2 days, they were actually threatened with death by that exasperated interrogator. **Despite all attempts at intimidation, Lucia and her cousins revealed nothing of the July 13 Secret, abiding by Our Lady’s instruction to keep Her Message secret. Vatican officials were initially dubious about the authenticity of the visions, as they must be in cases of this kind. However, the evident sincerity of the children, as well as their deep piety and devotion, eventually persuaded the authorities to take the issue seriously and investigate further. The authenticating Miracle of the Sun, which Lucia requested from Our Lady as proof that the apparitions were authentic, sealed the matter. A little more than a decade later, in 1930, their exhaustive investigation was complete, and Church officials declared the Fatima apparitions “worthy of belief.”

Two of the Three Seers Die

**Barely two years after he saw the first Fatima apparition, Francisco Marto died of influenza in the spring of 1919. The following year, his younger sister Jacinta also succumbed to this disease in February 1920. **Lucia dos Santos thus became the only surviving Fatima seer, and the message of Our Lady rested only with her. When she entered a convent at the age of 18 in 1925, she had still not publicly revealed anything further about Our Lady’s message. (Both the Marto children were beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 13, 2000, and are now only one step away from canonization.)

Forums rules forbid the sharing of unapproved private revelations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.