Pro-Catholicism

There are at least two threads right now about anti-Catholicism.

I’m not denying it. I know it’s real. I know it’s awful.

But there are also occurrences of pro-Catholicism among Protestants and others. Aren’t there?! Of course there are! How about the formation of “Evangelicals and Catholics Together,” an organization that is working to find common ground and promote godly causes?

Can we possibly post “pro-Catholic” manifestations both private and public? Just to give us all a little encouragement? Spread a little love around? Please?!

I’ll start.

In the current issue, May 2007, of “Christianity Today,” a magazine for evangelical Protestants (started by Billy Graham), there is an article about Vietnam. This article includes pictures and statements about the numbers of Christian churches in Vietnam today. Both Catholic and Protestant churches are listed as “Christian churches.”

There’s even a picture of a Catholic Church, with the caption: “Catholics have a long history in Vietnam, going back to the 1500s when the first Franciscan missionaries arrived. They may now constitute up to 10 percent of the country’s population.”

Pretty nice, I’d say.

And I don’t read any “ulterior motives” into the article. No one seems to be saying, “We need to Protestantize those erring Catholics!”

It’s just a nice article recognizing that Catholics and Protestants are Christians.

As long as I’m mentioned “Christianity Today,” I’ve been reading this magazine for several years now, and almost every issue includes some pro-Catholic article. A few years ago, the magazine published an article encouraging Protestants to read the Deutero-Canonical books. Also, CT published a wonderful article about Mary, which referred to the Council in which she was determined to be the “Mother of God” and urged Protestants to consider Mary “the first disciple of Jesus” and to honor her more.

There are quotes from Catholic saints and priests in the “Reflections” section. There have even been articles written by practicing Roman Catholics. I’ve never seen anything in this magazine that is anti-Catholic, even in the Letters to the Editor section.

:slight_smile: … as it should be!

There’s even a picture of a Catholic Church, with the caption: “Catholics have a long history in Vietnam, going back to the 1500s when the first Franciscan missionaries arrived. They may now constitute up to 10 percent of the country’s population.”

… two of the finest Priests I’ve known are from Vietnam, Fr Hue is quite the pool player :cool: as well.

I do not remember which issue it was, but one issue of Discipleship Journal had a sermon by St. Leo the Great.

“The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on “The View” as part of a campaign against O’Donnell. The group is angry at O’Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.” comcast.net/tv/index.jsp?cat=TELEVISION&fn=/2007/04/25/646267.html

Thank you, Cat. I’ve been trying to point this out on this forum for several years now–and I’ve alluded to CT in particular. (I have a motive for doing so since I write for one of its affiliates.)

Edwin

Do you write for Christian History? That is an excellent publication.

Yes.

Edwin

I have probably read your articles. I do not have a subscription, but I frequently purchase the magazine.

May I ask if Christian History is correct?

I grew up evangelical Protestant, and even though my church was on the leading edge of evangelical churches, I didn’t learn a correct version of the history of the Church until I started studying Catholicism.

And at Easter, my older daughter (non-Catholic, but planning to convert this year), attended a “Seder Supper” with several professors, PhDs, from a well-known Christian college. They got to talking, and the question came up, “When did the Jews stop sacrificing lambs on the altar?”

NO ONE KNEW THE ANSWER! One of these learned Christian professors actually said, “I think they stopped sacrificing some time back in the 1980s.”

My daughter, a lowly B.A in Theater, spoke up and said, “They stopped sacrificing around 70 A.D., after the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple, and executed most of the Jewish population. It was the end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of the New Covenant.”

She had learned that by reading CATHOLIC books, not Protestant.

If Christian History is correct, I would love to read it.

It’s not perfect, but obviously I think it’s basically a good publication or I wouldn’t write for it!

Plenty of Protestants are well-informed about church history–but plenty of others are not. I hope that these people didn’t have Ph.D’s in a subject having anything to do with religion or history!

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.