Pro Life Issues

On October 1st our nation held a Nation Life Chain all across the country. Our parish was the leading church in getting all churches, Catholic and Protestant to stand together for an hour on Sunday to pray to end abortion. We contacted many protestant churches in our community and none of them would stand with us.

Does anyone know why? I thought that all Christians were against abortion.

Some aren’t. But most conservative Protestants are.

So I’m honestly not sure why you got the lack of response from them.

I’ve known of protests in my area where Catholics and Protestants easilly stood up together to speak out against abortion without qualms over doctrinal issues.

I know at the Crisis Pregancy Center that is run in the city closest to me, many Catholics and Protestants work together there too.

Was enough time allowed for them to participate?

We contacted these churches 3 months in advance in various ways, 3 and 4 times.

We would just like to know what we should do next year. This is an ecumenical event.

What is the best way to approach and deal with protestant churches?

Hmmm…that is strange. :confused:

Are these groups particularly anti-catholic? Is there a crisis pregnancy center in your area where you can arrange these meetings in a more neutral setting? Are the denominations in question not necessarilly opposed to abortion?

I honestly don’t know why they didn’t respond. But I am hopeful that they will respond more graciously next year. Much prayer will be needed. :slight_smile:

Christains are against abortion. Some Protestant Churches view changing local or national politics outside the Church’s calling and a distraction from our sole mission,. Please do not misunderstand this. Abortion is wrong and is murder, and the Bible is clear on that. But what is the mission of the Church? To affect politics or win hearts for God?

The New Testament is very clear that we are to go and make disciples of Jesus, not to change politics.

This is my two cents.

But if Christians do change hearts and minds for God, then politics should also change. Just as in the middle of the 19th century it was Christians who first brought to the political landscape that slavery was not what the United States should be about.

Public protests are not just about changing politics. They are also about changing hearts. That’s why the US constitution protects freedom of speech, religion, press, and assembly, to allow us to toss ideas around in our individual searches for the Truth.

Plus, it is changed hearts that serve to change politics in a democratic form of government such as ours. Sometimes this is good, like when slavery was abolished, or like when women got the vote. Sometimes it isn’t, like, say when abortion on demand became legal. These changes in policy reflect changes in the culture.

I think it’s worth it for all Christians to show unity as they try to wake the culture up to the evils of abortion. Maybe once that happens, the legal issues can be revisited.

Keep calling those other churches, give them a warm, loving invitation every year, whether they accept or not. If they don’t come, that’s on them. At least they’ll know they are welcome.

Yes, it is true that some Protestant churches recoil from political involvement, and this might explain their unwillingness to get involved. Another possibility is suspicions toward ecumenical activities. But being pro-abortion is also a possibility since some Protestant denominations are pro-abortion.

For example, here is the position statement of the United Church of Christ:

The United Church of Christ has affirmed and re-affirmed since 1971 that access to safe and legal abortion is consistent with a woman’s right to follow the dictates of her own faith and beliefs in determining when and if she should have children, and has supported comprehensive sexuality education as one measure to prevent unwanted or unplanned pregnancies. (General Synods VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIII, XVI, XVII, and XVIII)

ucc.org/justice/choice/

Hi VJ, you ask, “What is the best way to approach and deal with protestant churches?”

May I suggest, you make an appointment to speak with each pastor one on one, not as a representive of the Catholic Church, but simply as a person who is concerned about abortion.

Some churches maybe so anti-catholic that they do not want to be viewed as obeying the catholic church.

Some churches believe in a seperation of church and state, and thus would opt out.

Some churches are simply over scheduled, and can not fit anything new into their schedule.

Some churches need a year’s notice.

Some churches are anti-ecumentical movement because they see that as comprise with liberals.

I have found that a person who is concerned about something has more influnce then a representive of an ecumentical movement.

Plan ahead about a year, and touch base one on one with those pastors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.