‘Pro-life’ John Kasich threatens to veto new bill banning abortions on babies with heartbeats

‘Pro-life’ John Kasich threatens to veto new bill banning abortions on babies with heartbeats

Calvin Freiburger Tue Nov 20, 2018 LifeSiteNews

COLUMBUS, Ohio, November 20, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Ohio Gov. John Kasich, a past and potentially-future Republican presidential candidate who bills himself as “pro-life,” has renewed his opposition to pending legislation that would protect almost all pre-born babies in his state.

On Thursday, the Ohio House voted 60 to 35 to pass House Bill 258, which bans abortions on any pre-born baby with a detectable heartbeat, except in cases of a “substantial and irreversible” physical threat to the mother. Any physician who violates the statute would face up to a year in prison. Pre-born babies’ hearts finish forming around seven or eight weeks into pregnancy.​​ . . .

Kasich vetoed a similar measure in 2016, claiming that while he’s pro-life he was unwilling to provoke a court battle over the bill’s constitutionality . . .

. . . . The bill’s fate appears beyond Kasich’s control, however. The Ohio House passed it with a large enough margin to override a veto, and Republicans outnumber Democrats 23 to 9 in the state Senate. Senate President Larry Obhof said he believes the bill has the votes to pass, but was unsure whether it will receive the 20 needed for a veto override. . . .

. . . . (Kasich) has also claimed that Republicans “focus too much” on abortion, that Roe v. Wade is “the law of the land now and we live with the law of the land,” and that Republicans shouldn’t risk a government shutdown fight to defund Planned Parenthood.

In 2016, pro-lifers faulted Kasich’s administration for issuing a waiver that let a Cincinnati Planned Parenthood location continue committing abortions despite failing to have a state-mandated transfer agreement with a nearby hospital in case of emergencies.

Another thankful reason that Kasich tried but FAILED to gain support of the American people. He has the swamp smell that is overpowering!

I never liked him. What a RINO :rhinoceros:

Maybe Kasich could run as a Democrat.

He might get the votes of the post office union members.

I used to. He was a solid conservative in the 90’s.
Sad he has changed so much

The upper echelons of the major parties are the same. They’re united in their love of money, power, themselves, and their contempt for the American People.

He always had the heart of a career politician…

Kasich should just come out as pro-choice, because that is what he really is.

“It’s just the law of the land. My hands are tied. You know, lawsuits.” What a weasel.

Wouldn’t it be lovely if all political

Yes, yes it would.

I think he would be a perfect running mate for Jeff Flake in 2020.

JonNC . . . .

He was a solid conservative in the 90’s.
Sad he has changed so much

JonNC. I am going to defer to you on Kasich’s 1990’s record.

The only thing that I found out that really broke my heart (concerning his 1990’s record) was his support of the Clinton Gun ban as a U.S. Congressman.

There may or may not have been other things but that one betrayal (of his countryman) stood out to me when I found out about it.

It’s gotta be scary telling adults they are committing murder on their children after the SCOTUS tells them it’s not murder…

A difference of opinion over gun regulation is a betrayal of one’s countrymen?

Wow. Guess that makes me a traitor too.

How does this make him different from Gorsuch and others that have also stated that it is the law of the land?

Hey, I was a Libertarian in my twenties.

We all gotta grow up sometime. :rofl:

It is the law of the land. The way things stand now, because abortion was legalized by a USSC decision, it can be changed only by an overturning USSC decision or by Constitutional amendment.

Goresuch and Kavanaugh are only saying what is true, as is Kasich. The difference is that Kasich is obstructing any potential within his power to overturn Roe v Wade.

If the SC is given a case and a good argument, then the decision ought to be overturned. We are hoping that good constructionist judges will vote in accordance with what is presented rather than in accordance with their own personal views.

The law in Ohio could provoke such a case; Kasich is saying he does not want to lead the state in such a direction.

Pro-Life In Name Only.

If anyone ask me about Ohio… they ain’t first in flight.

I take exception to that derogatory statement. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If growing up means favoring a practice that prevents the soon to be born from growing up, then call me Peter Pan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.