Pro-Life Pastor Gets 30 Days in Jail for Helping Women at Abortion Center

Pro-Life Pastor Gets 30 Days in Jail for Helping Women at Abortion Center

Oakland, CA – A pro-life African-American pastor has been sentenced to 30 days in jail for sharing a pr-life message outside local abortion centers. Walter Hoye was previously found guilty of violating what pro-life attorneys call an unconstitutional city law designed specifically to target him.

Full story: lifenews.com/state3877.html

What is this country coming to! :frowning:

Pittsburgh, PA has a zone that protesters and counselors can not go into.:mad:

An end.

A swift and very sad end to our Republic.:frowning:

Given Rev. Hoye’s statement that he will break the law again, I think he got off light. It is unlikely he will serve 30 days in jail (at least this time.)

While Graff agreed Hoye should not be placed in jail, he asked Hing to place the pastor on three years probation with an order to stay 100 yards away from the clinic. If Hoye did not agree to that, Graff said he should be sent to county jail for two years.

Hing asked Hoye if he would abide by the ruling during court Thursday. The pastor refused, saying he could not follow a law he found to be unjust.

As a result, Hing sentenced Hoye to 30 days in jail with the option of entering a sheriff work-release program that allows him to do sheriff-sponsored community service in exchange for jail time.

insidebayarea.com/crime/ci_11743601

I will pray that this man does not stop trying to help the babies and their mothers. Way to go pastor.:thumbsup:

Here’s a first-hand account of the trial and sentencing. johnmalloysdb.blogspot.com/2009/02/extraordinary-sentencing-of-walter-hoye.html

Funny thing. It looks like the judge pulled a fast one by imposing a condition (stay away from the clinic) the Hoye did not accept:

The Judge had asked Walter if he would promise to abide by the stay-away order and Walter said no. The Judge then ruled, and asked Walter if he would abide by the ruling. Walter again said no. But the ruling had been made and here is where the judge “refused to accept Walter’s refusal.” Apparently, the one thing Judge Hing did not want to do was to sentence Walter to jail time.

One of Walter’s attorneys explained to us that probation is like a contract: both parties have to agree to ithe conditions. Walter did not agree to the conditions but the Judge gave it to him anyway. Apparently the “refusal to accept Walter’s refusal” meant the Judge was going to try and impose the probation on Walter. If I understand correctly, Walter’s attorneys said to the Judge, well, that’s illegal, you can’t do that. One of the attorneys also told us even the Prosecutor had said: my opponent is right, you can’t do that.

Sounds like this one is headed for the Supreme Court.

I think people should do what they can to protect their belief in life while staying within the confines of the law. Breaking the law and vowing to break it again isn’t ok, even if there’s a just cause behind it.

So you are saying you are against all civil disobedience? That would include the civil rights movement and the Chinese demonstrations in Tiananmen, among others.

Civil disobediance must be coupled with a willingness to accept the judicial consequences of such actions. The consequences need not be harsh but protesters, particularly those committing illegal acts of trespassing or the like, should be ready for and accepting of arrest.

That is quite true.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable. — John F. Kennedy

The pro-life movement is the most peaceful socio-political movement of its size in American history. But unfortunately our culture seems to want to make any sort of peaceful anti-abortion demonstration illegal, which will only serve to incite violence, I’m afraid. Maybe that is what is wanted in order to justify the complete silencing of the opposition.

:signofcross: It seems like St. Paul wrote several of his letters in the confine of a jail cell too witnessing the gospel message. This Prolife pastor feels drawn to do the same. Would that all of us would join him.

Let’s extrapolate!

“The [civil rights} movement is the most peaceful socio-political movement of its size in American history. But unfortunately our culture seems to want to make any sort of peaceful [civil rights protest] illegal, which will only serve to incite violence, I’m afraid. Maybe that is what is wanted in order to justify the complete silencing of [desegregation] opposition.”

Now, doesn’t that sound baseless? That’s what folks said of those sorts of comments.

It is but 100 yards isn’t that far… I’m not trying to play devil’s advocate here but the only reason we are cheering for this guy breaking the law is because we believe the Roe was wrong (and it is, that’s not the point).

However we can protests and do peaceful things that currently do not violate the law. When we start cheering people doing these little things how far are we from becoming zealous enough to take the father away from a young man because that man performs abortions? (a friend of mine dated the son of the Dr who was murdered in FL).

The problem is mindset and biological belief systems. They don’t believe, and I agree I don’t understand how, that life begins at conception.

Personally I wouldn’t tell this man to stop what he is doing, God has put on his heart a tasks to do and he isn’t hurting anyone. However I also don’t believe we will make much progress this way… in fact it probably just makes some people who watch the news think we out of touch and makes them less likely to listen to reasonable scientific arguments.

At the same time though, 1 life is 1 life…

The point of the post is not to get flamed but rather keep us thinking on how we win the war rather than focusing on one battle.

Joe

Beau, for once you and I agree.

After all, if the Apostles had been good little law-abiding do-bees, they would have obeyed the Pharisees when they told them to no longer preach in Christ’s Name—and that would have been the end of that, wouldn’t it?

Guess it’s lucky for us that instead they decided to become hardened criminals and break the law.

We DID fight a war over slavery…

He will get more coverage in jail than on the street.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.