Probably silly question

Greetings Eastern Catholic posters! It has been a long time since I have been able to post here, and I hope this message finds you all well.

On to my question:

In searching for an Eastern Catholic Church near me, I used ByzCath’s find-a-parish. The closest one to me (I’m in Ohio), seems to have two listings for the same parish, one of which says “Canonically Suppressed”. If it matters, here’s the link so you can see what I’m talking about (Dayton):

byzcath.org/index.php/find-a-parish-mainmenu-111?catid=84

What does “Canonically Suppressed” mean? :shrug:

Thanks and God bless!

I believe “Canonically Suppressed” means this parish has closed.
There is a description of the meaning of those phrases as well as the meaning of the background colors used for each listing.

Aaaah. You’re smart. :thumbsup: Why I didn’t see that link, I don’t know. Anyway, it appears they are now meeting in a Latin parish on Thursday and Saturday nights.

Thank you.

:slight_smile: I hope you make it to Liturgy there and let us know about it.
Dayton was my airport during years when I lived in Richmond. :slight_smile:

Dear sister NinjaSnark,

WELCOME BACK!!! I’m glad to see your handle here once again on CAF!:thumbsup:

From what I know:

Any individual Christian and/or grouping of Christians in the Church is a canonical entity known as a juridical person (or just “person”). A “person” has both rights and responsibilities in the Church according to the laws (Canons) of the Church.

A parish is considered a “person” with canonical rights and responsibilities.

To be “canonically supressed” means that (1) the “person” no longer has rights/responsibilities in the Church - i.e., he/she/it no longer has canonical status in the Church - and (2) the proper ecclesiastical authority initiated or approved the supression. As far as a parish is concerned, not only would it mean that it is “closed” (with all that word connotes according to its secular usage), but also that the property has been desacralized. If it is not “canonically suppressed,” it would still be considered holy ground by the Church.

Here is a good article explaining the matter:
ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur201.htm

Blessings,
Marduk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.