Problem with Anger

Dear friends, I have a personal struggle with anger toward a woman who is deceased. This woman deeply hurt and damaged my child. I am unworthy of the body and blood of Christ until I can open my heart and received absolution. Currently I do not care to repent which is why I come to you for prayers. I heard the story of St. Maria Goretti last night and was able to venerate in the presence of several relics and still I do not feel my heart soften toward her. I do not want her beside me in heaven. I appreciate your prayers.

Prayer for Strength to Forgive

Faultless Lord, enduring death for me,
You have consummated the debt of my sins:
Your sacrifice of forgiveness was absolute!
Grant me the strength to also forgive others,
To excuse their transgressions against me.
So I may truly reflect this spiritual fruit,
Obliterate any persistent feelings of malice.
Let each trespass end as a closing chapter,
My continuing on the road of righteousness.
Forgive my sins as I aspire to forgive others.
You are truly archetypical of forgiveness.
You are a most forgiving Lord!

Amen.

You must to let go of your anger. The woman is dead so why carry on–it is over with and you have to accept it.

May your God bless you. It is a sin to hold a grudge, especially if the othe person is deceased

The damage she did lives on in my child. So it is not over with. I live with it daily. She abused her baby and neglected to protect her baby from predators. Eventually the 4 yr old child was removed from her care and placed in an orphanage. Now I am the child’s mother. And I receive some of the vented anger that the child feels as well as seeing her hurt other family members. There has been improvement with professional help but the damage is permanent.

So truly I wish that the woman be alive again so I could strangle her myself.

Thank you, I can take this to adoration with me.

Praying for you!

Jesus please heal the terrible hurt in this child and in the mother who has taken her to her heart.
Help her to know that forgiveness isn’t so much a feeling as a choice, and the choice to forgive is in obeying Your words, “Pray for your enemies.”
Heart-broken as she is for her child and herself, please give her the grace of forgiveness that is the choice to pray for the biological mother’s soul, regardless of how ravaged her heart feels.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

thank you CAF prayer warriors. I have been feeling dejected and even hesitant to sit in front of the Lord in adoration. I skipped out on RCIA class because how can I sit there and pretend to be a good Catholic in front of the inquirers? (I assist the deacon in the class). I will let you know how it goes this week. I printed off your prayers and carry them with me.

Praying hard for you and your child.

May you pray every day for the grace to forgive the woman who abused your child. May our Lord heal you and your daughter and give you both deep peace. May you remember that in order for your sins to be forgiven by our Lord you must forgive those who have offended you. May you forgive your daughter’s mother for God, who forgave us (we, who brutally mistreated and killed his Son Jesus). Amen.

Last night I had a heart to heart with my husband about this. He wants me to make an appointment to meet with our priest in his office and get advice. Basically it comes down to this, I can’t really sit in the confessional and pour out my livid anger and then say well I am not sorry and I am not penitent so okay bye now. My husband thinks that Father will have words of wisdom to help me overcome my anger.

I feel comforted by your prayers. I feel hope for myself that all is not lost. That is an improvement.

I have actually asked the Blessed Mother for help with this very thing for she witnessed her son’s abuse at the hands of the crowd, the soldiers, the tribunal. I asked her to help me find my way and I am scared.

following up, I have spent hours in adoration, discussion with deacon’s wife, deacon, etc.

I finally went to confession last night. I am going to do a rosary for her, say a prayer for the pope, and do an act of charity to gain a plenary indulgence for her soul.

I am going to practice something the St. Ignatious taught: do the opposite. I can’t spell the latin for this. Anyway, the priest told me that the devil got a hold of my broken heart and was twisting the meditations that I read, stealing my attention away from the Eucharist, convincing me to avoid mass and that I just had to do the opposite of my temptations.

thought - do not forgive her
action - pray for her and ask for forgiveness

thought - I should be angry
action - say a rosary to let go of anger

thought - don’t even go to mass because I’m in state of sin
action - go to mass

this will make the devil angry and spoil his work

That is a good plan. I’m praying that you will be able to forgive this person for whatever it was that she did to you and your family and that you offer up your pain to Jesus who died on the cross for sinners.

Praying…

Praying for your intentions….

Lord Jesus, You have said, “Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.” With confidence in Your loving heart which offers rest to weary souls, we come to You in this time of special need. In Your unfailing love, read the prayer that is written on our hearts, and grant the grace that we ask of You, in accordance with Your holy will. In Your name we pray. Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother, to thee I come, before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate! Despise not my petitions, but, in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen.

Thank you CAF prayer warriors.

I am less angry and pray for the Holy Spirit to move my heart to forgiveness. I know that I cannot make myself forgive. I cannot will it or read it or logic it out. It is a mystery.

On this the Nativity of the Blessed Mother it is good to see these prayers for me.

Anger is like picking up a burning coal, and throwing it at the person you are angry with, and the person who gets burnt the most is you.

The longer you hold onto the burning coal of anger, the hotter it becomes, and it burns away inside causing sleepless nights.

Blessings
Eric

Dear God,
Please help this fellow Christian open her heart completely to Your neverending love. Help her to use this love to forgive this woman who has hurt her child. You know how difficult forgiving is for us, but please do not let our weaknesses stand in the way of living in peace with everyone, here on earth and in heaven.
Thank You Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.