Problem with Images and Film Portrayals of Jesus!

I feel slightly uncomfortable when I see paintings or film portrayals of Jesus, because you are putting a face to Jesus that is not Jesus. It's a painter's estimation of what Jesus looked like, or an actor's portrayal. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I do not have a problem with some Icons. I also think that Middle Eastern Christians do not like images of Jesus either.

I am slightly uncomfortable with film portrayals, but I do not have a coherent reason. I have no problem, however, with paintings or statuary. Perhaps because acting is about action, while painting and statuary lend themselves to reflection. My problem isn't a moral one, though, it's just one of tastes.

I'm sorry, I must disagree. As long as it's tasteful, not blasphemous, and so on I'm comfortable with portrayals of Our Lord (and Our Lady, and other non-divine persons from history). Just my two cents...

The Spirit of God offered to us is only represented by the image portrayed by others in acting or paintings. Knowing the Spirit ourselves is of utmost importance and is given to us through the Grace of God.

Study as to Who God is as revealed to the Church and offered to us through the Magisterial teachings and accepting the doctrines stemming from this revelation lead us to union with God. A superficial representation of God is like the superficial representation of God we have all had prior to our study and our union with Him.

As long as it's tasteful I have no problem.

I think Mel Gibson did a fine job portraying Jesus in "The Passions Of The Christ".

Statues and pictures are fine as long as their not mocking.

[quote="Abyssinia, post:1, topic:223169"]
I feel slightly uncomfortable when I see paintings or film portrayals of Jesus, because you are putting a face to Jesus that is not Jesus. It's a painter's estimation of what Jesus looked like, or an actor's portrayal. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I do not have a problem with some Icons. I also think that Middle Eastern Christians do not like images of Jesus either.

[/quote]

The Middle Eastern Christians at my church don't mind icons of Jesus. Jesus became a man and therefore is able to be depicted in an image. God the Father shouldn't depicted in an image since he hasn't made himself able to be depicted. :)

Irini Pasi,
Zekariya

I have been told by missionaries in 3rd world countries that movies about Jesus and other Biblical characters are a Godsend to them. They communicate the Gospel far better than the written or spoken word, statues and holy pictures, to people who are often low in literacy.

I have no problem at all with the beautiful statuary and paintings of Christ, His Mother, Joseph or any of the biblical people.
Further, I believe that the shroud of Turin depicts The Holy Face.
As to film, as long as the portrayal is respectful and reverent, I'm okay with that too.

[quote="Fledgling, post:5, topic:223169"]
As long as it's tasteful I have no problem.

I think Mel Gibson did a fine job portraying Jesus in "The Passions Of The Christ".

Statues and pictures are fine as long as their not mocking.

[/quote]

It was Jim Caviezel who portrayed Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. Mel Gibson produced and directed the film.

[quote="Cat, post:9, topic:223169"]
It was Jim Caviezel who portrayed Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. Mel Gibson produced and directed the film.

[/quote]

Yeah, I knew Mel didn't play as Jesus.

But like you said, Mel produced and directed the film so without his interpretation.....

I have no problem with it. In trying to properly catechise my children i often use movies as they remember these muchbetter then reading.

I always try to remind myself that we really have no idea what he looked like.

[quote="Michael_C, post:11, topic:223169"]
I always try to remind myself that we really have no idea what he looked like.

[/quote]

We have some idea of what he looked like based on where he was born and his nationality. Also, we have the image of the Divine Mercy. He had St. Faustina paint Him as He appeared to her (well, she had an artist do the actual painting). So while it doesn't capture exactly what He looks like (nothing truly can in this life) I believe it comes as close as is possible. It is my favorite image of Him:

[quote="Belle10, post:12, topic:223169"]
We have some idea of what he looked like based on where he was born and his nationality. Also, we have the image of the Divine Mercy. He had St. Faustina paint Him as He appeared to her (well, she had an artist do the actual painting). So while it doesn't capture exactly what He looks like (nothing truly can in this life) I believe it comes as close as is possible. It is my favorite image of Him:

[/quote]

Belle, - mine too :)

God bless

What bugs me is when artists make Jesus look like a scrawny little hippie. He is the Son of God, worked for most of His human life as a carpenter with Joseph, and carried a Roman cross that wieghed some 200 lbs for about 3 miles, so He'd have to be pretty strong.

[quote="JackVk, post:14, topic:223169"]
What bugs me is when artists make Jesus look like a scrawny little hippie. He is the Son of God, worked for most of His human life as a carpenter with Joseph, and carried a Roman cross that wieghed some 200 lbs for about 3 miles, so He'd have to be pretty strong.

[/quote]

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." Oscar Wilde.

I don't know--the art I've seen always seems to remind me of a song that I heard on one of my mom's favorite albums:

Some children see Him lily white,
The baby Jesus born this night.
Some children see Him lily white,
With tresses soft and fair.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
With dark and heavy hair.

Some children see Him almond-eyed,
This Savior whom we kneel beside.
Some children see Him almond-eyed,
With skin of yellow hue.
Some children see Him dark as they,
Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray.
Some children see him dark as they,
And, ah! they love Him, too!

The children in each different place
Will see the baby Jesus' face
Like theirs, but bright with heavenly grace,
And filled with holy light.
O lay aside each earthly thing
And with thy heart as offering,
Come worship now the infant King.
'Tis love that's born tonight!

(I'm not sure who actually wrote those lyrics--the album she had was sung by Andy Williams.) I guess the point is that the real point is that He became Man, and the art is just a way of trying to connect, no matter how imperfectly, to Him. Unless, of course, the artist is just trying to shock or make some silly political point (like using a female).

As long as they show Christ as He Historically, Factually and Truly Spiritually was, I have No Problem.

The Only Fictional Christ I have had any kind of Problem with was Willem Dafoe's Christ in Scorcese's infamous "The Last Temptation Of The Christ."

Did NOT have a Problem with the Physical Christ shown on the Film, but with the PORTRAYAL of Our Savior as an Angry, Wishy-Washy Wimp who was NOT Pure. And did not know His Purpose. Total Unhistorical, Heretical Nonsense. :(

I still say the best on screen portrayals of Jesus in film were Jim Caviezel in "The Passion of the Christ" and Robert Powell in "Jesus of Nazareth" in my opinion....

[quote="Belle10, post:12, topic:223169"]

[/quote]

This is not the original, here is link to image:

rpmedia.ask.com:80/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Kazimirowski_Eugeniusz%2C_Divine_Mercy%2C_1934.jpg/180px-Kazimirowski_Eugeniusz%2C_Divine_Mercy%2C_1934.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.