Problem with In-Vitro Firtilization

The Catholic Church’s official stance on In-Vitro Fertilization (a form of artificial impregnation, by which the sperm and egg are combined in a petri dish and placed in the embryo afterwards) is that it is immoral.

I believe that it is problematic, but for a reason most tend not to think about. I won’t discuss whether it’s natural or not, nor will I discuss how it affects marriage. No, I have another reason for disapproving of it.

Couples using In-Vitro Fertilization means less children are being adopted.

There are millions of children in the world who have no parents; some of them don’t even have an orphanage to call home, instead being forced to beg in the streets in order to survive.

Because of In-Vitro Fertilization, and because of it’s supporting myth that family=blood, many of these children will never have parents. If this practice was illegal, then couples who are unable to have natural children would have to adopt. They would learn to see their adoptive child as their own, and the child would have parents and a home.

Let me know if you agree, disagree, or just how you feel.

“The Catholic Church’s official stance on In-Vitro Fertilization (a form of artificial impregnation, by which the sperm and egg are combined in a petri dish and placed in the embryo afterwards) is that it is immoral.”

IVF is the combining of egg and sperm – the fertilization aspect. Homologous embryo transfer takes place later and involves placing the embryo into the womb of the biological mother in hopes that it will implant and grow. (Heterologous embryo transfer is placing the embryo in the womb of a woman who is not biologically related. This is often done with the ‘extra’ embryos that are created through IVF. The biological parents can donate their embryos to another couple, or single woman, to be implanted)

The Church has not yet taken a stand on the issue of embryo transfer, though there is much discussion on both sides about what to do with these ‘extra’ embryos. It’s wrong for so many reasons.

I agree, IVF hurts adoption. I don’t know the current stats, but I believe it is common sense that IVF negatively impacts adoption.

Sounds good to me.

ICXC NIKA

That’s an excellent point.
Sometimes we can be very selfish.
I have dear friends who purposely went to the State and asked if there was an entire family they could adopt. They got to thinking and praying about it, and they felt like even if someone came forward to adopt an older child, if that child had siblings, and the new parents didn’t want to communicate with others, that this child could conceivably lose the only family he or she has left!
They have now a family of 5 added to their three and the children are delighted. They are old enough to know that

1. most everyone didn’t want them
  2. their real parents are in prison and don’t care
  3. these people had their own children. They took them into their family because they were WANTED. Just as they are.
    Pretty beautiful stuff.

Adoption is incredible, but another problem with In-Vitro is they take the healthiest person. So they actually create a bunch of lives choose one and then freeze the rest or dispose of them. This is definitely not natural and goes against everything that I believe in. I pray for the poor people that accept this practice.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.