problem with the crucifix.....

I have heard that SOME people have a problem with the crucifix. They will say that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, and is no longer on the Cross so why do we keep him there? And I understand that this is the reason that other Churches keep a barron cross inside and out.

I want to say that I find this personally offensive, and I feel the need to explain… before I explode.

Can I be a witness?

My parents raised me Athiest. Not just we don’t care so we don’t talk about the subject, but sit down discussions about the Bible being a fairy tale and Christians being delusional, and that they should be pitied for their lack of intelligence. Not one discussion but many, and my father never told me any particular story of the Bible either. I never heard about Adam and Eve or Jesus Christ, and I believe this was so as not to feed my curiousity or to create a childhood fantasy. He wanted the doctrine to stick.

When I was eight years old, we moved into a rental house. The people who lived there left some belongings in the house in a box in the basement, and as I was nosing through the box I came upon something that really disturbed me greatly. There was a man who appeared to be nailed to two pieces of wood. There was blood pouring from his hands and feet. He apparently had some torturous device shoved upon his head, and hard too because there was blood streaming into his eyes. He also had been stabbed by something as he had blood coming drom his side. I was transfixed, staring at the man. I went upstairs to my mother and asked what it was and who he was, and she told me that the man was Jesus Christ and that Christians believe he was G-d.

I had heard the word of G-d unbeknownst to my mother. I took that crucifix and stuck it under my pillow. I fell in love with the Christ and daydreamed that he was my husband. I used to pretend that I was at the crucifixion and that I saved his life, and that he loved me too. By the terms that the folks who have a problem with the crucifix I was saved. I had Jesus in my heart all to myself, without hearing or reading the Bible…the crucifix saved me.

Would I have had the same reaction if it had been just a cross? I would not. Would I have had the same reaction years later, let’s say when I saw the Passion of the Christ? Yes, most likely…but that is my point don’t you see? The crucifix IS the passion of the Christ…way before we had the ability to make movies

When I turned sixteen I followed my crucifix all the way to the Catholic Church.

PHEW…I feel better

Touching story Lillith. God moves in amazing ways and you are proof that children need exposure to Christ as much as adults.

[quote=Lillith]…I want to say that I find this personally offensive, and I feel the need to explain… before I explode…
[/quote]

i understand your explanation and agree with you that the crucifix can and is a powerful symbol, but i also think that the empty cross is a powerful symbol for, as paul said, “If Christ is not raised from the dead, we are to be pitied among men.” 1Cor. 15:14-19

incidentally, we are allowed to say God’s name outloud and even write it. since the curtain was torn, we all have access to the holy of holies, in fact, our bodies have become the temple of God and He dwells within us. :thumbsup:

May the Cross be our bed of rest, our school of perfection, our beloved heritage. For this reason we must never seperate the Cross from Jesus’ love; otherwise it would become a weight, which in our weakness we coud not carry.

In contemplating the cross on his shoulders, I feel more and more fortified and I exult with holy joy.

I know from my own experience that the best way to avoid falling is to lean on the Cross of Jesus, with confidence in him alone who for our salvation desired to be nailed to it.

How unbearable is pain when suffered far from the Cross, but how seet and bearble it becomes when it is offered close to the Cross of Jesus

–St. Pio

Fulton Sheen had a lot to say about our abandonment of the Crucifix and the Cross as a society, as well. We have a fear of the pain associated with it because we don’t first associate it with love. And I thank God every time I see a realistic looking crucifix, as opposed to those Picasso-looking ones or those “resurrexifix” ones.

I had a conversation with a protestant friend of mine. He asked why do I have a cross with Jesus on it? I had to explain the difference of the two. He told me that Catholics should only have the cross alone in the Church and not with the body on it. I told him that Catholics don’t wear crosses we wear a crucifix. He said that Jesus has risen and he is no longer on the cross, which is tru, but I told him, “without the crucifiction, there would be no resurrection.”

I really felt your story.

[quote=bengal_fan]i understand your explanation and agree with you that the crucifix can and is a powerful symbol, but i also think that the empty cross is a powerful symbol for, as paul said, “If Christ is not raised from the dead, we are to be pitied among men.” 1Cor. 15:14-19
[/quote]

But…I would never have asked…just a cross would have been a decoration to my eight year old eyes…the crucifix MADE my mother tell me about Jesus.

[quote=BENGAL_fan]incidentally, we are allowed to say God’s name outloud and even write it. since the curtain was torn, we all have access to the holy of holies, in fact, our bodies have become the temple of God and He dwells within us. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

It is a beautiful thing that a Jewish person taught me…it is a reverence to G-d that I show…I am not worthy to spell even his name. Surely you understand

Remember, we preach a Christ Crucified as in (1 Corinthians 1:20-25 ). An empty cross is also a Christian symbol, and nothing wrong with it, but lacks the visible meaning that the Crucifix shows, namely what our Lord went through for Mankind. About the Risen Christ, thankfully we have the testimony of the Early Church as proof, as well as the sacred scriptures.

[quote=Lillith]I have heard that SOME people have a problem with the crucifix. They will say that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, and is no longer on the Cross so why do we keep him there? And I understand that this is the reason that other Churches keep a barron cross inside and out.

I want to say that I find this personally offensive, and I feel the need to explain… before I explode.

Can I be a witness?

My parents raised me Athiest. Not just we don’t care so we don’t talk about the subject, but sit down discussions about the Bible being a fairy tale and Christians being delusional, and that they should be pitied for their lack of intelligence. Not one discussion but many, and my father never told me any particular story of the Bible either. I never heard about Adam and Eve or Jesus Christ, and I believe this was so as not to feed my curiousity or to create a childhood fantasy. He wanted the doctrine to stick.

When I was eight years old, we moved into a rental house. The people who lived there left some belongings in the house in a box in the basement, and as I was nosing through the box I came upon something that really disturbed me greatly. There was a man who appeared to be nailed to two pieces of wood. There was blood pouring from his hands and feet. He apparently had some torturous device shoved upon his head, and hard too because there was blood streaming into his eyes. He also had been stabbed by something as he had blood coming drom his side. I was transfixed, staring at the man. I went upstairs to my mother and asked what it was and who he was, and she told me that the man was Jesus Christ and that Christians believe he was G-d.

I had heard the word of G-d unbeknownst to my mother. I took that crucifix and stuck it under my pillow. I fell in love with the Christ and daydreamed that he was my husband. I used to pretend that I was at the crucifixion and that I saved his life, and that he loved me too. By the terms that the folks who have a problem with the crucifix I was saved. I had Jesus in my heart all to myself, without hearing or reading the Bible…the crucifix saved me.

Would I have had the same reaction if it had been just a cross? I would not. Would I have had the same reaction years later, let’s say when I saw the Passion of the Christ? Yes, most likely…but that is my point don’t you see? The crucifix IS the passion of the Christ…way before we had the ability to make movies

When I turned sixteen I followed my crucifix all the way to the Catholic Church.

PHEW…I feel better
[/quote]

… and now everyone at work is looking at me wondering why I have tears running down my cheeks. :slight_smile:

Lillith,
That was a very cool story. God works in wonderous ways.

For everyone,
It is very important for Catholics to have a crucifix at church rather than just a bare cross. The sacrafice of the mass is the same offering to God as the crucifixion was. So everytime mass is offered this is true. Christ is not dying again on the cross, but the same sacrafice is being offered to God the Father. With that said it is good to have a crucifix to keep us mindful of the sacrafice being offered to the Father.

matthew

[quote=Superstar905]Remember, we preach a Christ Crucified as in (1 Corinthians 1:20-25 ). An empty cross is also a Christian symbol, and nothing wrong with it, but lacks the visible meaning that the Crucifix shows, namely what our Lord went through for Mankind. About the Risen Christ, thankfully we have the testimony of the Early Church as proof, as well as the sacred scriptures.
[/quote]

Amen to that. I wear a cross around my neck, but keep a crucifix in my kitchen

:thumbsup:

God bless you Lillith. Do you mind if I use your story as a witness to others?

Yours in Christ.

[quote=Jabronie]… and now everyone at work is looking at me wondering why I have tears running down my cheeks. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

((((Jabronie)))) spiritual tears and goosebumps…I love them.

Nice to meet you!

[quote=Ignatius]God bless you Lillith. Do you mind if I use your story as a witness to others?

Yours in Christ.
[/quote]

Please do! I think the crucifix is so Powerful…and I knew exactly what Jesus had done for us at the tender age of eight…no explaination needed. I’ll bet over the centuries that I am not the only person who was brought to Christianity while contemplating the Passion of Christ…

What a beautiful story, God bless you.

Lillith, what a wonderful testimony!

I also prefer the crucifix. It is a reminder of just what God was willing to do for us.

The empty cross, although a perfectly good Christian symbol, basically represents a form of ancient Roman capital punishment.

The empty tomb is a symbol of resurrection!

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

I think Marty gave the answer I was looking for. Good post.

Also, CarolAnnSFO said

[quote=CarolAnnSFO]The empty cross, although a perfectly good Christian symbol, basically represents a form of ancient Roman capital punishment.
[/quote]

I agree because it is Christ that gives meaning to the cross. If He would have been put to death in a different fashion, would the cross still be such a powerful symbol? Likewise it is in the same way that Christ gives meaning to our suffering (our own personal crosses). Without Him our suffering has no meaning or purpose.
Great topic and great story Lillith!

Right on!

It’d be difficult to transfer that image onto a necklace.

Jews felt that the body of an animal represented its life. The blood represented its death. When they performed a sacrifice, they drained the blood from the body before eating it, so as not to take part in the animals death.

So why did Jesus ask us to partake in His body and His blood? Because we are taking a part in His life AND HIS DEATH. Yes, the bare cross is important, but the crucifix is (at least) equally important.

NotWorthy

P.S. I might have the body=life, blood=death backwards, but you get the point.

Jesus did not rise from the cross, his dead body was taken down from it. Jesus rose from the dead while he was in the tomb. Therefore, representing his resurrection should include some refrence to a tomb, not a bare cross.

I have nothing against Christians who wear a bare cross. I understand that it is a symbol of their faith. I have problems when people try to make the bare cross a better symbol then the crucifix. There are people that really believe that Catholics, by wearing a crucifix, are wallowing in Jesus’ death, but if you wanted to nitpick the issue…Jesus was taken down dead from the cross, therefore a bare cross could be said to represent Jesus’ death, not any form of hope.

Of course, I know Christians who wear either a bare cross or a crucifix are simply affirming their faith. It seems silly to me that people get so upset over the religious jewlery that others wear, but there are some who find the crucifix offensive.

[quote=Lillith]I have heard that SOME people have a problem with the crucifix. They will say that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, and is no longer on the Cross so why do we keep him there? And I understand that this is the reason that other Churches keep a barron cross inside and out.

Can I be a witness?

PHEW…I feel better
[/quote]

What a beautiful story!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.