Problems at mass

I wasn’t able to find anything online quite like what experienced at mass at a nearby parish a couple months ago, and I was wondering the legality of what occurred, and what response I should take if any.

During the Gospel:
A woman read the words of Jesus while the priest read the narration and the words of the other people in the gospel. The gospel was interrupted several times by instrumental music and a singer singing something along the lines of “The Lord is good, let us rejoice and be glad.”

Eucharistic Prayers:
There were several times during the Eucharistic prayers where the priest paused at odd times, and the choir would play instrumental music along with singing the same phrase that they did during the gospel.

I realize that the first thing I would need to do would be to talk to the priest there, but does this warrant it? Also, what instructions from the missal would I use?

what did the priest say when you asked?

I haven’t talked to him yet. I’m not sure what kind of reception I would get since the church is run by the OFM, and there have been problems of disobedience at the parish in the past.

Was this on Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter? If so, is Mass usually normal?

On Palm Sunday, the readings are done differenty. At the church we go to, they have several “voices,” altho the priest is usually the one who says the words of Christ. But the rest of the year, it’s all done normaly.

True, the Gospel can be read with different people saying different parts. But the “part” of Jesus MUST be read by the priest.

These thing should not be done, that these are significantly less abuses that the usual complete worship of human success instead of worshiping God.

Ask your priest why he let a female read Jesus’ words, and ask him if this will change with the New Missal in the Advent; but remember: he is in charge

These thing should not be done, that these are significantly less abuses that the usual complete worship of human success instead of worshiping God.

Ask your priest why he let a female read Jesus’ words, and ask him if this will change with the New Missal in the Advent; but remember: he is in charge

This was not during palm sunday. The part im most concerned about was the random choir interjections during the eucharistic prayers.

Redemptionis Sacramentum 53 states along with GIRM 32 states:

While the Priest proclaims the Eucharistic Prayer “there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent”,[GIRM 32] except for the people’s acclamations that have been duly approved, as described below.

The nature of the “presidential” texts demands that they be spoken in a loud and clear voice and that everyone listen with attention. Thus, while the priest is speaking these texts, there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent.

I’m wondering if since he paused the eucharistic prayers for the choirs singing, he is in compliance with these, or if it refers to the the time from the beginning of the eucharistic prayers to their completion.

It looks like the priest is seriously flouting the GIRM in which case the OP should discuss withthe priest and if the priest does not change, report him to the bishop in a short letter describing 1 or 2 of the main abuses in a few words, with an appendix giving more information.

He may have been using one of the Eucharistic Prayers for Masses with Children which do have acclamations in them.

Priests do do weird things sometimes. For the last two years, our Pastor has had the choir sing the Kyrie at three different points during the readings of the Passion. I know that Canada’s old Lectionary had ‘An acclamation may be sung here’ written at several points in the Passion readings but the new Lectionary doesn’t give that option.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.