Problems with depression

Please pray for me as I am having problems with depression. Being without a spouse and children in this life is a tremendous cross. I seem to be feeling the weight of it more these days, and the heaviness is quite noticeable. Thank you in advance for your kind prayers.

During the winter time I feel depressed too; what I've been trying to do is pray. The Rosary helps me to feel joy and inner peace.

Hail Mary full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed in the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary Mother of God pray us sinners now and at the hour of our death

St. Philomena is the patron saint of mental illness. It might help reading her story online and give you some hope to overcome depression.

St. Philomena, pray for us!

Praying for you both! edit: and you too, Glen Here is a prayer against depression by Saint Ignatius of Loyola~

O Christ Jesus,
when all is darkness
and we feel our weakness and helplessness,
give us the sense of Your presence,
Your love, and Your strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
in Your protecting love
and strengthening power,
so that nothing may frighten or worry us,
for, living close to You,
we shall see Your hand,
Your purpose, Your will through all things.

Amen.

I swing back and forth myself as well. I always thought I'd be married with children too by now. I just try hard day to day. I know that if you pray to Him, He will find a way to help you. :)

Praying hard to St. Dymphna for you.

Thank you to those who are praying and for your kind words. I have prayed for all of you too.

My husband is long-term depressed, something that accompanies what was an excessively driven and perfectionist nature that collapsed. He mostly spends twelve hours in bed, then drags out and sits in a chair gazing out, no energy or motivation, for an hour maybe two. Three coffees later, maybe a move. Then he’ll start something and overdo it if he does, so that his arthritis gives him curry, a little tinkering. His physicians long ago gave up on giving him medication which didn’t help, and only showed with nerve shattering effect, when he was coming off them, so I’m all the help he has now. I pray you never slip into anything so extreme, but can pick yourself up with God’s help. :slight_smile:

I know how debilitating depression can be. I pray that God can help you to find generous focus for others sufficient to override some of that humanly unfair sense of being bereft.
May God truly bless and help you :slight_smile:

I have problems with depression too. You'll be in my prayers opera.

I am saying a prayer for you, opera, and for everyone else here who bears this burden.

Praying for your intention …

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinner now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

opera, please know that I am praying for you.

My situation is the same, so I feel your pain. I find it helps somewhat to focus on being grateful for the many blessings I do have.

You’re in my prayers.

opera, I'm sorry you are feeling down. I will pray that your burdens become lighter, relating to this. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.