Problems with "The Dutch Catechism" and "An American Catechism"?

Can’t decide what thread to post this in. Have picked up copies of the “Dutch Catechism” and “An American Catechism” from a book sale. What were some of the problems with each of these? They seem popularly written and seem to avaoid some of the ‘hot-button’ issues like homosexuality, contraception or abortion but otherwise not a lot leaps out at me as grossly erroneous. Thanks! If this thread gets moved could someone make certain I get e-mailed as to where it was sent?

Check the appendix of your Dutch Catechism for a list of problems found by the Vatican. (Instead of fixing the problems, they just put the Vatican report as an appendix.)

I’m not familiar with An American Catechism. Who is the author/editor and when was it published, please?

[quote=flameburns623]Can’t decide what thread to post this in. Have picked up copies of the “Dutch Catechism” and “An American Catechism” from a book sale. What were some of the problems with each of these? They seem popularly written and seem to avaoid some of the ‘hot-button’ issues like homosexuality, contraception or abortion but otherwise not a lot leaps out at me as grossly erroneous. Thanks! If this thread gets moved could someone make certain I get e-mailed as to where it was sent?
[/quote]

The American Catechism I believe is the red colored one? Anyway many of the errors are not something that “jumps off the page” at you. Which is the true danger in them. You can read them and take in infromation that is not exactly correct, but looks good and sounds good.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The American Catechism I believe is the red colored one? Anyway many of the errors are not something that “jumps off the page” at you. Which is the true danger in them. You can read them and take in infromation that is not exactly correct, but looks good and sounds good.
[/quote]

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]I’m not familiar with An American Catechism. Who is the author/editor and when was it published, please?
[/quote]

“An American Catholic Catechism” was published in 1975 by Seabury Press, edited by George Dyer, with the cooperation of Gregory Baum; Eamon R. Carroll; Charles Curran; John F. Dedek; Avery Dulles; Joseph J. Farraher; Bernard Haring; J. Bryan Hehir; Monika K. Hellwig; Richard P. Mc Brien; Richard A. McCormick; Charles R. Meyer; Norbert Rigali; Thomas F. Sullivan; Cornelius Van Der Poel; Jared Wicks; John H. Wright. I left off all of the alphabet-soup initials at the end, no disrespect intended. The book is red-colored–marroon at the top, shading to crimson towards the bottom.

[quote=Catholic2003]Check the appendix of your Dutch Catechism for a list of problems found by the Vatican. (Instead of fixing the problems, they just put the Vatican report as an appendix.)
[/quote]

I have the 1967 Herder & Herder edition of “A New Catechism: Catholic Faith For Adults”, originally published in the Netherlands and commonly called the “Dutch Catechism”. It is maroon cloth-bound with a red, white, and black dust cover. (There was a revised edition available in a sea-green cover–I almost bought that one too but didn’t want to multiply books needlessly–my library is too big for my home as it is). It has no appendices. I wouldn’t have known it was the ‘Dutch Catechism’ if the dust cover didn’t boldly announce it as the “Authorized Edition of the ‘Dutch Catechism’”–after all I’m not actually Catholic so wasn’t in the loop when this thing was kicking up smoke. Heck, even if I’d been Catholic I’d’ve been about six or seven years old! Doubt I’d’ve given the issue much thought: the book is all text and no cartoons, not real fun for a six year-old. :yawn: :sleep:

Any suggestions on websites or articles to read?

I have both the blue one and the red one. I keep them as examples of what contributed to the our present situation in catechetics. Check out the USCCB’s website. Go to Catechism of the Catholic Church. This will take you to the Ad Hoc Committee on the Catechism. Here you will find a letter from our U.S. Bishops Committee on the Catechism which was chaired by Archbishop Buchlein at the time. It lists the ten weaknesses of catechesis in the United States in the last 30-40 years: We have failed to teach the Trinity, we have failed to teach Christocentricity etc. In a nutshell, the Dutch Catechism had weaknesses in this way as well. It’s subtle but there. Basically it is anthropocentric (spelling?) focusing on man and not on Divine Revelation. In other words it’s horizontal in its approach with no vertical (revelation) Christianity is based on Revelation.

Please forgive me for going on about this, but I work in the field of catechetics.

Also, the purpose of the new Catechism was for each country to use it to develop catechisms for their people. The adult catechism for the U.S. will be the first one written by the Bishops Conference. So we will have a catechism that is faithful to the teachings of the Church and also directed to our adults here in the U.S.

Here is a link to the 1968 Vatican report that describes the problems of the Dutch Catechism.

[quote=antoniadre]Please forgive me for going on about this, but I work in the field of catechetics.
[/quote]

Don’t be silly, Antoniadre. I asked for information. You offered some. Thanks!

[quote=Catholic2003]Here is a link to the 1968 Vatican report that describes the problems of the Dutch Catechism.
[/quote]

Thanks to you as well, Catholic2003.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.