Process for adults First Communion/Confirmation

What is the process for those adults who have been Baptized, but who have not make their First Communion and Confirmation?

Interesting to know because a niece’s fiancé will be going through this before their marriage in the Fall.

Was this a Catholic baptism or a non-Catholic baptism? At least in the non-Catholic one, the answer is RCIA.

@pup7 you just did this. Can you give us the run down?

1 Like

They go through RCIA, are deemed ready, and receive the sacraments.

The particulars of RCIA vary on a parish/Diocesean level

3 Likes

Varies from diocese to diocese, parish to parish and the current knowledge of the individual seeking confirmation and communion.

Speaking to the priest in the parish would seem like the first step, the person may be asked to attend RCIA classes or do other preparation.

Catholic baptism. So, what they need is not the full RCIA, but the RCIA Lite, no Baptism

I suggested an appointment with the parish priest.

I was baptized as a Protestant. I basically researched and studied myself into coming to the conclusion Catholicism is true. Talked to the parish priest. He did a one on one RCIA with me over a couple months, since I already somewhat knowledgeable. And I was received into the church last August. I’m in a very small parish though. And I think this had a lot to do with how my process went.

2 Likes

haha you’re the perfect storm of irregularity- Well read, and at a small parish

See, I’m not sure I’d call it RCIA-Lite. It is the Rite of Christian Initiation for adults, after all, and the person in question still needs to be fully initiated into the Church.

From my understanding, whether baptized or not within the Catholic Church or in a Protestant sect, they still must go through RCIA if this was the only sacrament they’ve received.

As far as I know, Baptized Catholics are also RCIA. Some folks are converting, others have never been Baptized at all.

Whether or not you go through formal RCIA depends on how much you know. It’s actually suggested that those with knowledge of the faith go through an abbreviated process. Ultimately, the parish priest decides.

No, the process is the same. It isn’t just for converts. It is for Catholics who have not completed their full initiation.

1 Like

Yes, which is why I wouldn’t call it RCIA-Lite.

True, I only said Lite, because most of the people I have met who went through RCIA had never been baptized into the Catholic Church.
Needless to say, I do not take any of the RCIA classes as being anything other than very important.

Maybe I thought you called it RCIA lite. I apologize. I think I was confused. Actually, I think we need even more in depth training—because there is just so much to go over.

2 Likes

That was my whole point, Andy. Thanks!

If your church is LARGE and has plenty of certified catechists or a pastor willing to teach the classes himself, they enter Adult Ed. if not, they go to RCIA.
Frankly, if they have nothing more than Baptism, the really benefit form RCIA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.