Process Theology

Will someone please explain to me the theory of Process Theology. What I heard about it intrigued me … the posibility that God could be sad or happy about the events that happen in our lives. Is this possible? What’s the story?

[FONT=Book Antiqua]"Process Theology. An approach to theology inspired by the philosophical thought of Alfred North Whitehead and Charles Hartshorne, with Shubert Ogden as one of its main proponents. Process theology rejects the classical picture of God as immutable [unchanging] and transcendent [beyond his creation] in favor of a God who is partly evolving with and in relation to the created world. The problem of evil looks different in such a context. Since process theologians do not necessarily think of the natural order as created out of nothing ex nihilo], evil may be partly due to the recalcitrant nature of that order, in which God works pursuasively along with his creatures for the good. Process theology should be distinguished from open theism, which questions the classical doctrine of divine foreknowledge, though there are points of similarity between the two theologies" [/FONT](C. Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion [IVP, 2002], pp. 96-97).

In short, process theology is an early 20th-century Protestant philosophical invention that should be avoided by any faithful Catholic. Interesting to think about, though.

Blessings,

Don
+T+

Many if not most process theologies embrace some form of outright heresy, and those that do not at least strain the bounds of orthodoxy. Unless someone is a highly trained theologian, I would steer clear of them lest I be led astray.

Pardon the pun, but process theology is a process to be avoided. It can only lead to error and confusion and detract from what our God really is.
Deacon Ed B

It’s the crazy crud George Bernard Shaw was into.

Funny thing is he was cutting edge and trendy at the time and called the Church old fashioned. Now, people don’t know what the heck process theology is and they’re still going to Mass.

thanks proof even Traditional CAtholics can laugh, I needed that, wrong forum but who cares we need a chuckle. what a bunch of twaddle

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.