Processional

When I was a child the Mass began with the priest walking out of the sacristy. Please inform me as to why there is a processional? I think it started with vatican2.But is this an ancient tradition?
And was this done before? Thank you

Romie:)

I grew up (40 years ago) in the Episcopal Church as an Altar Server, and we always had a processional entrance (as does every Episcopal church I’ve ever attended). The Episcopal (Anglican) Church inherits its traditions from a time greatly preceding Vatican II, so I doubt this is a new introduction. But, what does it matter if the priest enters from the side or the rear of the church?

[quote=Romie]When I was a child the Mass began with the priest walking out of the sacristy. Please inform me as to why there is a processional? I think it started with vatican2.But is this an ancient tradition?

[/quote]

Yes it is an ancient tradtion and thankfully due to the liturgical renewal it has been brought back into common use.

[quote=Romie]When I was a child the Mass began with the priest walking out of the sacristy. Please inform me as to why there is a processional? I think it started with vatican2.But is this an ancient tradition?

[/quote]

The Processional is rooted in the Jewish cuatom of removing the scrolls from the tabernacle and processing through the assembly with them.

Thank you all very much for the reply.
as to the person who may not get the chance to respond, I must add that I really don’t care either way how the priest enters. My husband is a new Catholic and I did not know how to answer him.
I want to be sure i’m telling him correctly.
Thanks again,
God Bless!
Romie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.