Profession of Faith

According to the Catholic church all an “Orthodox” Christian has to do to become a member of the “Catholic"church is give a “profession of Faith”.
Since recieving communion in the “Catholic” church really is a profession of faith each time we recieve since we are acknowlegeing the Presence of the Lord as well as accepting all the teachings of the “Catholic” church in the reception of communion does that mean that an “Orthodox” who goes up for communion in a “Catholic” church has now inserted themselves into the “Catholic” church. ie” they are no longer Orthodox but now “Catholic”? :confused:

Personally I see receiving Holy Communion as an “Act of Faith” or an “Outward Expression of Faith” not strictly a “Profession of Faith”.

We have an Orthodox woman in our parish who is preparing to be Catholic. She will make a public profession of faith at a parish mass. When she becomes Catholic, technically she becomes Catholic in the Rite that most closely parallels her Orthodox Rite but she will be a member of our parish and will attend Mass here, as she does already.

**According to the Catholic church all an “Orthodox” Christian has to do to become a member of the “Catholic"church is give a “profession of Faith”.
Since recieving communion in the “Catholic” church really is a profession of faith each time we recieve since we are acknowlegeing the Presence of the Lord as well as accepting all the teachings of the “Catholic” church in the reception of communion does that mean that an “Orthodox” who goes up for communion in a “Catholic” church has now inserted themselves into the “Catholic” church. ie” they are no longer Orthodox but now “Catholic”? **

And just why are you so worried about this, Luvs2Learn?

*Cluny:
And just why are you so worried about this, Luvs2Learn? *
really long story…but to be brief
I am just curious. This board posts a lot of questions with regards to the Orthodox , but communion between the 2 keeps comming up and I have heard mixed things with regards to this issue.

Well I’m not sure how that person’s Orthodox priest would feel about that…
But actually, the Catholic Church permits Catholics to receive Communion in an Orthodox church in extreme circumstances, so at the least, your idea wouldn’t work in that direction. Many Christian denominations have formal acceptance procedures, in none of them is simply receiving their communion sufficient to call yourselves one of them, so I think Br. Rich has it right on.

Yes, but according to the “Orthodox” if an Orthodox recieves communion outside of the “Orthodox” church they are essentaially excumunicating themselves and joing themselves to the church in which they are recieing in (ie: To the Catholic church, since other then “Orthodox”, “Catholics” are the only ones with a valid Eucurist) I mean the Orthodox person could just go to confession and repent for the act but what if they don’t. then arent they basically (without the paperwork) joining themselves to the Catholic church?
I don’t know, I got into a huge discussion with a friend about this, we were both reading about Byzintine history (book club) and the subject of Orthodoxy came up and from there it sprung this whole discussion… I was just wondering if anyone was more knowledgeable about the issue?

That’s interesting, I never knew that. Unfortunately, I don’t have a better answer for you :wink:
Peace!

According to the Orthodox Church, I suppose they can make up their own rules for those that are Orthodox, but those rules don’t hold water in the Catholic Chruch.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.