Profession of Faith

OK, maybe I missed something in my classes. I’m a former Episcopalian that has become Catholic and I made nearly every class in preparation but there were times (very few!) that I missed that were unavoidable (out of town!) So now I have to ask this question. Back in my Episcopalian days, the Nicene Creed was just part of the service, every time, no exceptions. Now that I am Catholic, I notice (and I’ll grant you, I may be nit-picking here!) that the Nicene Creed, or ANY profession of faith for that matter, has been skipped for a number of weeks during the Lenten/Easter season. So far as I can tell it has been the entire Lenten season and that part of the Easter season we recently have experienced (I confess, I didn’t pay such close attention before!)

So please help me. Is the Creed (whether Nicene or Apostles) said only during certain seasons? And if so, which? If if they are not said at other times, why? I guess I just took it for granted before, but now I want to know!

THANKS!
Melanie

It should be said every single mass! I have a feeling, your priest is doing something wrong. Of course then again…I could be mistaken. I really think it’s supposed to be said at every mass though.

I believe it is only required on Sundays and Solemnities.

Do you go to weekday Mass ?

We said it all during lent.

On Sundays there should be some kind of profession of faith. It doesn’t have to take the form of the Nicene Creed. ((But in the United States, when it is not a Mass for children, if it does take the form of a creed it should be the Nicene Creed.) During Lent the profession of faith may be replaced by certain RCIA rites and on other days might be replaced by a renewal of promises. But there should be SOMETHING.

I agree it should be said at every Mass, but I’m pretty sure it’s optional on non-Solemn weekdays. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m mistaken. :slight_smile:

(I’m going by what it indicates in my Weekday Missal in the Order of The Mass Section)

You are not mistaken. It is not required for non-solemn weekday masses.

Thank you for that. But the question was for Sunday Masses. When it is appropriate to omit the Creed/Profession of Faith.? Not on Weekday Masses but on Sunday Masses? Is there a certain time or season?

Melanie

It is never allowed. There must always be a profession of faith, preferably the Nicene creed, but doesn’t have to be, at EVERY Sunday mass.

From the 2002 General Introduction to the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“68. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.”

The 2002 Roman Missal’s Order of Mass, n. 19, allows either the Nicene or Apostles Creed at any Mass. (Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 513).

The Creed is optional when there are the Scrutinies, (prayers for the elect who are to be baptised a few weeks later.) From the book Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults: “… then, if required, the profession of faith is said. But for pastoral reasons these general intercessions and the profession of faith may be omitted.” (RCIA, n. 143, 157, 164 edition for Australia and England, n. 156, 170, 177 in the editon for the USA.).

The usual time for the Scrutinies is the Third, Fourth and Fifth Sundays of Lent. However, from the RCIA book with the Australian number “133. … When, because of unusual circumstances and pastoral needs, the period of purification and enlightenment takes place outside Lent, the scrutinies are celebrated on Sundays or even on weekdays, with the usual intervals between celebrations. They are not celebrated on solemnities of the liturgical year” (USA RCIA, n. 146).

At the Easter Vigil there is a renewal of baptismal promises, instead of the Creed.

Similarly if there is a baptism at Mass, from the Rite of Baptism for Children “29. … 2 … c. The Creed is not said, since the profession of faith by the entire community before baptism takes its place.” (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 374).

And if there is a confirmation at Mass, from the Rite of Confirmation “31. … a) the profession of faith is omitted, since it has already been made;” (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 492).

If there is an ordination of a deacon, priest or bishop in the Mass, from the rite of “Ordination of Deacons, Priests and Bishops”, n. “The profession of faith is not said, nor are the general intecessions.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, pages 28, 39, 66).

If there is a consecration to a life of virginity in the Mass: “12. … b) the profession of faith is not said, even if prescribed by the rubrics of the day”. (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 161, 177).

If there is a rite of religious profession in the Mass,
for a temporary profession by a man: “22 … b) the profession of faith may be omitted, even if prescribed by the rubrics of the day.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 213).
the same for a perpetual profession by a man, n. 52(b), page 221.
same if a man renews his vows, n. 83(b), page 233.
same for a women, temporary profession, 25(b), page 252.
same for a women, perpetual profession, 57(b), page 258.
same for a women, renewal of vows, 90(b), page 272.

If there is a blessing of an abbot “15. The profession of faith is not said in this Mass, and the general intercessions are omitted.” (The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 304.
Same for the blessing of an abbess, n. 10, page 314.

the Nicene Creed is recited at Sunday Mass, not daily Mass. the Apostles Creed may be used in Masses for children. There are times when another rite which includes a profession of faith makes recital of the Creed redundant, for instance, if Baptism is done during Mass, some of the RCIA rites, confirmations etc.

I was asking about Sunday Mass actually, sorry for not being specific. I haven’t heard it for weeks. Not Nicene, Not Apostles, Nothing. So that was why I wondered ~ is it skipped for Lent and Easter? I remember it during the first of the year, but not lately. It wasn’t said on Easter, nor ANY Sunday in Lent.

Melanie

I am guessing during Lent you went to the Mass where the RCIA readings and rites are done, in which case the Creed may have been skipped, the priest has some options there, as described in more detail above, and of course at Easter we do the renewal of the baptismal promises instead.

Good guess except for the Mass that our RCIA candidates attend is the Mass scheduled before the one I attend. So, no, that wasn’t the reason.

And we did renew Baptismal promises at Easter Vigil at my son’s church, but at my church Easter Sunday there was no such renewal and still no creed.

That’s why I am confused.

Melanie

My USA edition of the Roman Missal has for the Easter Sunday Mass:
"[In the United States]
Renewal of Baptismal Promises
In Easter Sunday Masses which are celebrated with a congregation, the rite of renewal of baptismal promises is repeated after the homily. The profession of faith is omitted."
(Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 209).

My Latin edition of the 2002 Roman Missal has for Easter Sunday:
“72. … Dicitur Credo.”
(Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 377.) “Dicitur Credo” means “The Creed is said.”

The renewal of baptismal promises is people saying “I do” to 6 questions, for example “Do you believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth?”

On Sundays at our Church we always say the Apostles Creed and never the Nicene Creed. The GIRM does not specify which Creed has to be used.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.