Professional Matchmakers

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever gone to a professional matchmaker. If so, was it a good or bad experience?

I am considering going to one because I don’t meet Catholic men very often and I think it would be great to have someone help me to find someone compatible, but I don’t know where to start looking for a matchmaker or how to tell if they are good.

Thank you.

I have not used a professional matchmaker. The only time I have actually heard of a professional matchmaker is in reference to the Bravo show, Millionaire Matchmaker.

Have you tried AveMariaSingles.com or Catholicmatch.com? AveMariaSingles hosts single cruises, and I know there are also single Catholic conferences. I have had two friends find their spouses through CatholicMatch.com :slight_smile: And another 2 friends are currently in serious relationships from the website.

I've tried internet dating for the last three years and I am really burnt out on it. (I am still a member of Ave Maria Singles, but there is not a single person from my state on the site.) I just wanted to know about matchmakers because they do a lot of the work for you, and, if they're good, it's supposed to be a quick way to find a good spouse.

Peace.

I suppose by this time I've become quite professional in arranging credible accidents. :D

Joking aside, not like I've ever been to one, but they apparently gather data with a questionnaire and they do some maths on it to make sure they get the right match. They're as good as the information they're given. It's probably the same principle that OKCupid uses, i.e. basically a calculation of coinciding or not coinciding points to see if it's worth it. Then they probably just set up a date for you but they can't do anything beyond that. That is, they won't sweep a girl off her feet for you, nor will they make the two of you really compatible. In short, they just create openings for you by fishing out girls you might like. It could be a good idea, but I wouldn't count on it any more than just the fishing.

They don’t have to be from your state! That is the beauty of the internet, it gives you a much bigger pool of people! I know many many people (probably at least 10-12 couples), who met via one of the Catholic singles sites and I think only 2 were in the same state.
I know it’s convenient to have someone in the same state, but a man should be willing to do a little work for his prize, you know? Hang in there! :thumbsup:

"Matchmakers" used to be common, either officially or as part of extended families and friends.

Since we no longer even KNOW our aunts or grandma's, let alone have her working with her friends to match up from everyone's grandkids - to use a professional is the next best thing!

Go for it - have you found a Catholic matchmaker?

I agree that sometimes state-to-state isn’t that bad of a difference, but I live in New Hampshire, a very small state both in population and geography If you lived in west Texas, you might want to give the guy some leeway if he lived in Arkansas!

Thanks for replying everyone.

Chevalier–

Matchmakers also perform background checks, interview all their clients, give advice if you need any, and use their experience and judgment to choose matches for you. That’s why going to one appeals to me. It’s more personal than an online site and you get more guidance.

SeekingWisdom–

In the past three years no one has been interested in traveling to meet me; so I doubt they will any time soon. That’s why I want to meet someone local. I feel like I have more than enough penpals. :wink:

Kage_ar–

I haven’t found matchmaker yet. It’s too bad they don’t have matchmakers affiliated with Catholic Churches. I know I’m not the only devout Catholic who is having a hard time finding someone else who is devout. (I’m not even sure if there is a Catholic matchmaker in this state. I’m from Utah. Here it’s kind of hard to find people who aren’t LDS to date.:))

Rascalking–

I wouldn’t mind the long distance thing, if they didn’t, but so far it hasn’t worked out.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

P.S. Maybe I will try CatholicMatch first though. Matchmakers are very expensive, I gather, and I’m not sure I could afford one right now.

Ah, I see. Well, I’d probably go at least for guidance. Not to promise oneself too much, but a new perspective is probably always worth it unless they charge a big lot.

CatholicMatch has many more people on it, so that might be better to start. My friend that is getting married to someone he met from CM, was on Ave for 4 or 5 years and had no successful relationships from it.

I don’t know where you are located in NH, but if you are within driving distance to Boston there are two churches with very active young adult groups there. And many relationships have formed from them.

Also, with the professional matchmaker, there is a chance that they won’t have any more leads either. I bet if there are practicing catholic men in your area, they will turn to the websites first before thinking about a matchmaker. Or does a matchmaker actually seek out people who are not contacting them? (Like seek out people by going to local events, bars,using contacts, etc)

[quote="SmileyGirl3, post:10, topic:179523"]
CatholicMatch has many more people on it, so that might be better to start. My friend that is getting married to someone he met from CM, was on Ave for 4 or 5 years and had no successful relationships from it.

I don't know where you are located in NH, but if you are within driving distance to Boston there are two churches with very active young adult groups there. And many relationships have formed from them.

Also, with the professional matchmaker, there is a chance that they won't have any more leads either. I bet if there are practicing catholic men in your area, they will turn to the websites before a costly matchmaker. Or does a matchmaker actually seek out people who are not contacting them? (Like seek out people by going to local events, bars,using contacts, etc)

[/quote]

I'm actually in Utah. ;) So, definitely not in (convenient) driving distance of Boston.

Before signing up with a matchmaker, I gather you are supposed to ask them about their clientele, and, if they don't have enough people your age and religion etc., you shouldn't sign up. In other words, they only match you with other people who are signed up with them.

But I like you're suggestion of CM. They seem to have a lot more people from here, and it's easy to check what members believe from their profiles. Thank you.:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.