Profound Bow for Bishop in Procession?

I was at Confirmation last week. During the procession a parishioner performed a profound bow when the Bishop passed by. He was was the only one to do so. Is that correct?

BTW I have also seen people bow the head when a priest passes on occasion. Is that alright? I have seen Anglicans bow the head when Crucifix passes by.

hmm well behaved Anglicans do as in I am not well behaved.

I always find bowing etc hard to do and don't even after 25 years - unless am serving and i missed a bow out yesterday when presenting the priest with the wine :p oops he bowed the second time and I followed.:p yesterday was a bad day all around and forgotten that mistake till now. normally am perfect with my bows then but all other times I personally haven't a clue and it always feels wrong for me but try and comply a little. But yes we Anglicans do bow when the Bishop is in procession and some will go right down in their bow.

[quote="Qwikness, post:1, topic:327048"]
I was at Confirmation last week. During the procession a parishioner performed a profound bow when the Bishop passed by. He was was the only one to do so. Is that correct?

[/quote]

It is not prescribed in the rubrics. It is a recognition of his rank/authority. It is a courtesy. It is not universal nor is it mandated anywhere.

Also, you will see ministers bow to the bishop before approaching the altar, such as readers. They will bow to the altar and to the bishop.

[quote="Qwikness, post:1, topic:327048"]
I have also seen people bow the head when a priest passes on occasion. Is that alright? I have seen Anglicans bow the head when Crucifix passes by.

[/quote]

Yes, I had to get used to not doing this anymore when I became a Catholic.

I believe this is a Catholic custom in some places, or at least that is its origin.

I think the traditional protocol was actually to genuflect as the bishop passed by in procession. I don't know if there is any officially prescribed protocol.

For that matter, I don't know if there ever was an officially prescribed protocol.

I believe–but don't quote me on this–that it was common when the Extraordinary Form was the most prevalent. If you know someone who is very involved in the Latin Mass community, and one that has a bishop visit often enough (unfortunately, Pontifical Masses in the Extraordinary Form are a bit of a rarity), they'd be the one to ask.

It's fine and good to do, but not required. It is a custom here to bow. If you're going to do it, have it in your mind that it is a sign of respect.

Many different customs involved with this. The only one that seems to have any truly widespread currency was the tradition of genuflecting when the bishop passed and gave his blessing. That is no longer widespread, outside of the EF. In my FSSP parish, some bow for the processional cross, while some make the sign of of the cross as it passes. About half bow for the priest. Some make the sign of the cross while being incensed, as opposed to just bowing before and after. The list goes on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.