Progesterone Cream

I have seen this question answered in a previous thread but I was wondering if I could have it addressed again.

I'm soon to be forty and after my last baby my cycles have finally resumed. We are avoiding pregnancy because my husband is taking Methyltrexate for arthritis and it is deforming of chromosomes, especially those of sperm and ova. The good news is that I have a definite fertile period as defined by CM for the first time in my life. :) The bad news is that this last cycle I commenced spotting the day after my peak day and started my period about a week later. This is not unfamiliar to me; I had clear signs of low progesterone production between child number two and three and was able to maintain pregnancy of number 3 through using progesterone cream.

I'm now very much in favor of using progesterone cream once again. There are two ways to use it; every day if not wanting to get pregnant and just after ovulation if you do. It is not a contreceptive but there is a chance that it would make conception less likely if used everyday. I would like to use it every day because I have ADD and anything that is not done pretty much the same way either every day or every week I have a hard time with either remembering to do or doing consistently. However, we're committed to using NFP for preventing pregnancy. I consider it a positive side benefit if the overall chances of conception are reduced (because Methyltrexate would be really bad for the baby concieved) but it's obviously not the main reason I want to use the cream.

Can you all help me know if PDE applies? Should I talk to my priest about this?

Thanks!

Have you spoken to your doctor about it? I was using progesterone cream everyday because I thought it would HELP…after reading your post, I hope I didn’t miss a chance to conceive!!! (I have a very irregular cycle so it probably wasn’t the progesterone). I’ve recently been introduced to Napro-Techonology which I think is either the same, similar, or uses the techniques from Natural Family Planning.

naprotechnology.com/

If you haven’t done so, I might recommend finding a doctor near you or at least one you can contact over the phone to ask them. I’ve never heard of progesterone being a means of contraception, but if it is, then I would probably talk to your priest about it to see what he thinks. My doctor (for Napro) wants me to stop applying the cream until we see what my body is doing.

Medical advice cannot be given out on this board.

I didn’t think I was giving medical advice. I was suggesting that she talk to her doctor, and if the doctor said that it was a type of contraceptive to then talk to her priest.

I’m sorry if what I posted was medical advice.

Kage_ar,

I was thinking about it on the drive home, and I realized that you were probably talking about the Napro-technology that I mentioned. I only mentioned it not in anyway as medical advice, but just to make her aware that there are doctors out there who specifically work within the guidance of the Catholic Church regarding issues such as conceiving (or in her case, not conceiving.) To me it was a great blessing to find this. My OBGYN doesn't understand why I view life, fertility, conception, etc. the way I do and was not treating me in a way that I felt comfortable. I was blessed enough to be told about a Catholic Clinic that offered services specifically for women like me. Napro-technology was one of those services. I included the website only so that the OP if interested could find a doctor who practices according to the teachings of the Church. These are all things that were developed from the Pope Paul VI Institute. Anyway, again, I'm sorry if this was considered medical advice, I really did not mean to break the forum rules if it was. I figured that if people talk about NFP and so on that it would be OK to mention this since it is women's health care in tune with the Catholic Church.

Blessings,

Jessica

The OP is requesting medical advice, we cannot go there -

To suggest she talk to her doctor, go to a different forum or seek NaPro, those are as far as we are supposed to go :slight_smile:

OH! haha....I understand. :)

FWIW, I'm *not *seeking medical advice. I was wondering if someone could comment on the morality of using progesterone cream throughout the cycle instead of just post-ovulation; I assumed it was common knowledge that this has some contraceptive effect. :)

[quote="magdelaine, post:8, topic:178046"]
FWIW, I'm *not *seeking medical advice. I was wondering if someone could comment on the morality of using progesterone cream throughout the cycle instead of just post-ovulation; I assumed it was common knowledge that this has some contraceptive effect. :)

[/quote]

Well *morally *speaking...if you're knowingly doing something that has a contraceptive effect, I imagine that would be wrong and something you shouldn't do. Since contraception in itself is intrinsically evil.

If you need any response more detailed than that re: the morality, I think you had the right idea in the OP: talk to your priest. :thumbsup:

ETA: isn't Methyltrexate one of the drugs they administer in chemical abortions? I thought the name looked familiar. If so, then I can *definitely *see your concern! :(

[quote="ac_claire, post:9, topic:178046"]
Well *morally *speaking...if you're knowingly doing something that has a contraceptive effect, I imagine that would be wrong and something you shouldn't do. Since contraception in itself is intrinsically evil.

If you need any response more detailed than that re: the morality, I think you had the right idea in the OP: talk to your priest. :thumbsup:

ETA: isn't Methyltrexate one of the drugs they administer in chemical abortions? I thought the name looked familiar. If so, then I can *definitely *see your concern! :(

[/quote]

I will talk to my priest. Since I wouldn't be using NPC for contraception (which no one who uses ABC should do anyway...it would be extremely unreliable) I would think that the principle of double effect would apply.

Methyltrexate is classified as a teratogen (extremely deforming); babies conceived could have missing limbs, organs, brain, etc. :(

Yeah I looked it up after I posted, because I knew the name was familiar. It is one of the drugs used in a chemical abortion, and for chemotherapy. Aside from being an abortifacient, it just seems like such a harsh drug! :frowning: Does it really work to help your huisband’s arthritis?

Yes. It is one of the most effective, commonly used arthritis drugs out there. There are others, but they are extremely expensive (on order of $2000) a month and I’m not sure that they are “safe” either.

[quote="magdelaine, post:12, topic:178046"]
Yes. It is one of the most effective, commonly used arthritis drugs out there. There are others, but they are extremely expensive (on order of $2000) a month and I'm not sure that they are "safe" either.

[/quote]

Goodness. Well I can understand why he'd use it, if it works and the other drugs are so much more expensive. I'll pray that everything works out ok for the two of you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.