Progressive "Catholics"

What do you say to Catholics who have difficulty with the True Presence and adhere to some ridiculous ideologies? For instance, I’ve heard this explanation, that the real “miracle” of the multiplication of the loaves was that everyone had food and shared with one another! This is absurd! Clearly the Scripture indicates that they had no food and performed a miracle: Mark 8: 6-8. “He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. When he had taken the seven loaves and given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to set before the people, and they did so. They had a few small fish as well; he gave thanks for them also and told the disciples to distribute them. The people ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over.” As a new convert to the Faith, I cannot believe some of the so-called “progressive” stances out there that have absolutely nothing to do with the sacred deposit of the Faith. They honestly believe that the Church is wrong, and that their ideas must be correct and I find it absolutely baffling. Have any of you experienced such outspoken denial or revisions of our Catholic Faith? Should we be concerned, or “leave and let be”, as it were?

I also know Catholics like the ones you describe, and I don’t know the answer to your question on how to respond… The one thing I do know is that I must never agree with what they are saying (when contrary to Church teaching). It helps to know a little about the person. Is it true ignorance - were they perhaps taught that’s what the Church teaches? That is the easiest case to deal with. One can politely tell them the truth and in the explanation refer to the authoritative source for that info. Many, however, know they are differing from official teaching and don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing so. Have no idea where they ever got such an idea. Probably from all the talk about how one must follow their own conscience (a true statement)- but without understanding what “conscience” correctly means. Most of them take it to mean following their own thinking and reasoning, which is an erroneous understanding. I really don’t know how to respond to those people. I sure hope someone else will, because I would like their help also.

Nita

This is the way our youth ‘minister’ explained that story to his youth group. I explained the real meaning of the story to him when I heard what he had done.
He told me he wanted his kids to know ‘their’ part in God’s stories and explaining it the way he did made them realize there would not have been a miracle if someone hadn’t shared his bread.

He told me he wanted his kids to know ‘their’ part in God’s stories and explaining it the way he did made them realize there would not have been a miracle if someone hadn’t shared his bread.

:banghead: It might 'emphasise ‘their’ part, but it downplays the divinity of Jesus. Especially since it was a prefiguring of the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.