Progressive Church

Hello,
A fellow parishioner said as a way of introduction, this is a ‘progressive church’. What exactly is a ‘progressive church’ as it pertains to the Catholic Church?

Scott

It’s passe. Old hat!!

Micki

Essentially, it means they pick and choose which Doctrines and Disciplines they will and will not follow.

If that was said to me, I would turn around and walk out.

PF

[quote=super64]Hello,
A fellow parishioner said as a way of introduction, this is a ‘progressive church’. What exactly is a ‘progressive church’ as it pertains to the Catholic Church?

Scott
[/quote]

“Progressive” is a term I’ve come to understand as “liberal” where they aren’t too bothered if they were to disregard the liturgical laws of the Church. They are often those who think everything prior to Vatican II was wrong and rather absurdly interpret Vatican II as establishing doctrines contrary to Vatican I, Trent, and 2000 years of pre-Vatican II doctrine.

I’d ask the priest if he would identify his church that way. If so, ask him why, and more than likely be prepared to find another parish.

“Progressive” is, more often than not, a euphemism for “dissenting”.

Some “Progressive” Catholic churches may be teetering on the edge of schism and or heresy, so I’d be careful. I’d talk to the pastor and see exactly what is meant by the term “progressive.”

Run like the wind from this kind of church. Basically they believe that the mass wasn’t good enough to begin with. Most are more interested in entertainment versus adhering to the rubrics. Many are run by babyboom aged priests who are still operating under the impression that Vatican II gave them free reign to change the mass as they see fit.

Well, I guess that goes along with what I’ve heard about the Superior dioceses. :eek: And what I’ve seen. I realize we’re not the only ‘progressive’ church out there, so please pray.

Pray for better:
Adoration
RCIA
CCD (or whatever they call it now CFC)
Preaching

…and us, the parishioners who attend.

Scott

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.