Project Natal Milo

Your world is about to change. again…

firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2010/05/16/project-natal-milo/

Makes the "Holodeck" on Star Trek look absolutely plausible, doesn't it?

Much as I have always cherished imagination and the world of books, I find this troubling. Of course, each 'individual' supposedly will bring his/her own unique 'person' into an interaction, but I've thought that already we have been narrowing our imaginations in the last few generations even as we supposedly 'broaden' our cultural horizons.

Thing is, take a book, even a 'good' book, that has been made into a movie. How about "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" for instance. Once you have seen the movie, when you re-read the book, unconsciously you're going to 'see' the actors who played in the movie as you 'imagine' the characters. Maybe 1000 of us who 'read' the books have each imagined the Pevensie children, and in different ways. . .but if we've all seen the movies, we have 'narrowed' that focus and we'll all be 'seeing' those same actors, unless we make the conscious effort NOT to do so.

When we re-read the books and scenes or characters that were not presented in the movies come 'in', it's jarring.

And what happens when characters are presented in a way that is totally OPPOSITE to the way they were presented in the book? In The Lord of the Rings (movies) a major example of a change in character would be that of Faramir'. One either is so enamoured of the 'movie' that one on reading the book either 'ignores' Faramir or 'jams him into the 'movie' type mindset' --thus completely throwing off the book's view and pace; or one finds the book superior and then consciously tries to 'forget' above the movie version!

And so you have groups of people talking about the LOTR and some will discuss Faramir as a hero (the ones who stick with the book version) and some will see him as one who impeded Frodo's quest, was greedy for power, and who 'luckily' came to his senses. . .as opposed to the book version where Faramir aided Frodo from the start and never desired the Ring to begin with!!! Both groups certainly think their 'view' of the character is correct but certainly the views do not 'mesh'.

I see this kind of technology bringing about even greater examples of those who are conditioned to view 'reality' and these 'quasi-realities' to present only one 'approved' vision as opposed to those who read books and rely on 'imagination' which may result in 1000 different 'views' of a story and/or character among 1000 different people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.