Promises of the Rosary

This is a spin-off thread from here.

My reply:

We will continue this discussion here, so as not to derail the previous thread.

For crying out loud… why does every non-Catholic critic of the Rosary think we’ve never heard this before?

I think it would be easiest to

1. Either break down each promise and discuss it
    OR
  2. Go over your general problems with the Promises, or the Rosary.

Choice is yours.

Thank you for your hospitality… now I ask, what do you who DO partake in the Rosary think of this? Remember again, the Bible does not lie, God will not conceal himself from you.

How DO you justify it? It just isn’t biblical! God obviously does NOT stand for it!

Because not every non-Catholic has had the whole Rosary thing spelled out for them.
Although non-Catholics may wrap themselves in the ideas of other non-Catholics, each person has a unique prospective and problem that have to be individually addressed, to help them “get it”

Going to warn you now, please watch yourself in this thread.
I have been nice enough to talk with you, please do not try me or others on the board.

Yes, I am being patient and I’ll attempt to keep my respect for this time around … I have no intention of going through what happened yesterday, again, your hospitality has been appreciated.

I think that Mary, through the power and grace of her Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, has been given the chance to provide special graces to her earthly Children.
In giving Mary to John, Jesus also gave Mary to us, as our Heavenly Mother.
In partaking in the practice of the Rosary, we honor our Mother and show her the love we have for her, and the love we have for her Son, Our Lord and Savior.

Exodus 20:3-6 (King James Version)

3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

The first promise of the rosary forces you to break the second and third commandment

Nezmith-
I am also going to ask that you read a few articles regarding the Rosary and it’s place in the Church. I think that this may help you a bit more than I am able to.
I think a bit more foreknowledge on your part will help provide a bit more information, and give you a bit more patience with me, as I attempt this.

The Scandal of the Decades: The Rosary and the Bible

The Rosary

A Brief History of the Rosary

The Rosary Dissected

I wasn’t wondering why some non-Catholics have a problem with the Rosary. I was wondering why those people think that we’ve never heard their objections before.

I do not have time to respond at the present time and will try to get back to this thread after my daughter’s soccer practice. If you happen to see this post, I’d like to ask you a question. Do you know the context for the scripture you posted? Specifically, what do you know about the pagans Jesus was talking about and what they believed about prayer? This greatly impacts how this scripture is to be read and it most assuredly does not have anything to do with prohibiting prayers like the Rosary. This is especially evident in light of the fact that Jesus Himself demonstrated repetitive prayer.

I will try to post again tonight or tomorrow.

Again, no matter how many times they ask, it sometimes takes multiple answers before they “get it”.
And we have heard them. However, in Christian charity, we stop, smile and explain.

Now you mention here in your post… that Christ Jesus gave Mary the chance to provide special graces to her earthly children… I’m not ENTIRELY getting this… For one, you call us her earthly children, but she is not the mother of all humans… that would be Eve would it not? Mary did not create our spirit so she just couldn’t have any relevance in family related terms… ? In the Bible there is no mention of Jesus giving Mary to us, so it’s just an idea isn’t it? If not please point out the verse to me…

Yes, many of you love Mary I can tell… but the love you display has seemed to taken your actions from beyond the logical… not to be offensive… Your Hail Mary as is performed in the 3rd step of the Rosary? It’s extremely close to being considered as worship, your thoughts should always be on honoring God… God made man and man should respect God and God only for that… Mary was only chosen to give birth to our great savior Jesus Christ, that was all… it did not make her any better than us, I believe.

1.Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.

2.I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

No one is bowing the Mary instead of to God.
The relationship one has with Mary, and consequently, the Rosary, does nothing more than continually point to her Son, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Do you faithfully serve on juries, and obey laws? Do you obtain protection from criminals and other nasty people because you do your civic duty?

Thank you for the links, I’ll look through them as is appropriate… I should only be a few minutes, so please be patient.

I am not ignoring this question, I am attempting to formulate and answer that is satisfactory to me. I am a nit-picky perfectionist.

Mary continually points to Jesus. And if you look at the Hail Mary, it is the Magnificat that Elizabeth recites. The second part is our petition for her Prayers, just as I would ask you.
In asking you to pray for me, am I worshiping you?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.