Proof of Hell?

Greetings, I am Jordan, a 14 year old Catholic. My Catholic Studies or “religion” teacher is also a Catholic. She does not believe in the concept of Hell. Every time I try to start a discussion about Hell, she will close the conversation. She is one of them Catholics who say “An all loving God would not send anyone to Hell.”
Can anyone give me proof of Hell from the Catholic Church and tell me what the Early Church Fathers said about Hell?
Everyone please pray that the Holy Spirit leads her to the truth.

God be with you all,
Jordan

This is not actually proof, but an inspiration.
We are now in the middle, looking at the blue sky, it somehow resembles a peaceful happy ending, heaven.
Looking down, below,

https://c10645061.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/content/large/l_earthlayers.jpg

Hi Jordan, I suppose their are a lot of catholics today who don’t believe in a place called hell, the belief is that a loving and compasionate god would not allow it, but hell exists, Jesus spoke of hell, do not be afraid of those who can kill the body but rather be afraid of the one who can kill both body and soul in hell, Our Lady in Fatima also showed hell to the children, many people go there because their is no one to pray or make sacrifices for them, so hell does exist. We should never do use hell to scare people to believe what we believe or to threaten people that they are going to burn there unless they be good.

God loves us all despite our frailties, in return all he asks is that we love him.
AMEN

I sincerely hope she does not deny evil or satan that would be really awkward.
Are you sure she is Catholic?

Jordon, welcom to the liberalized Catholic faith of today, that throws away the Tradition of the Church which tells US their is absolutely a Hell…
Faith is that which is, but we cannot see…

Presumption, is a sin, and its a sin to the idea that we are automatically going to Heaven.

Saints have spoken to the Issue of Hell, in brief once a very Holy Nun was struck by lighting is the story, and all thought she as dead, but they worked and PRAYED that she
be not dead but come to life and live…and she did… she came back to life…
and when she awoke, she was Mad at them for having prayed she might be alive again.
Because, she was in Pergutory, and she admitted in her youth, she had sinned of sort.
What she was mad about, is what now if back on earth, she might do an sin that sent her to hell, with no chance of eternal salvation . That she wished she might have stayed in Pergatory, in what seemed an eternity though she was dead only seconds, it seemed years.

See, this story isnt in the Bible, but the story is realitive, to God talks and guides people through the Holy Spirit, as it guides the HOLY infalable church toay and you that you dont go to Hell…
Saints knew, for they opened themselves to Gods will, not ours, and for that they also know liars go to Hell…
Your mission in life is to Go to Heaven where thier is nothing imperpect, often by the cleansing process of pergatory and to take as many souls as you can , that includes your teacher who is misinforming .
Walk amongest the downtroden, poor, rejected, ill and distolute, you will come to see that hell is real as Jesus lived and did and love them with your heart.

What your really a wake up call to the fact of todays religious programs are taught by a group of Liberalized Good people who dont know the Truth of religion, because nobody taught them to know.

Do a little research into the phenomenon of demonic possession and you will have endless support for the reality of Hell. There are also a few first hand accounts of those who had less than pleasant near-death experiences. And last but not least the testimony of the various Saints across the ages.

People who don’t “believe” in Hell are just sticking their heads in the sand and hoping that the notion goes away.

—then why did Jesus in the Scriptures talk about a place that did not exist? If hell does not exist then why was Jesus casting out of who came to Him something that did not exits? If he was casting out demons, then where do demons reside if nothing evil can reside in Heaven? I pray this person really read the Scriptures and listen to the Holy Spirit, not the unholy spirit, and stop leading the seekers of the Truth astray.

Also, God does not send us to Hell, we do that ourselves by turning away from Him through our free will. He only directs us to the place we have chosen.

Do a little research into the phenomenon of demonic possession and you will have endless support for the reality of Hell. There are also a few first hand accounts of those who had less than pleasant near-death experiences. And last but not least the testimony of the various Saints across the ages.

Exactly. On youtube you can find many videos of exorcists, who share their experiences. And regarding saints - e.g. Padre Pio had stories on how he was being opressed by evil spirits.

You can’t come back from purgatory.

Hi, Jordan!

I guess I’m seeing two kinda different things in what you’ve written-- they seem pretty close, but they’re different in an important way.

One thing you say is that your teacher “does not believe in the concept of hell”; the other thing she says is “God would not send anyone to hell”.

I guess that these are separate questions: first, “does hell exist?” and second, “are there any human souls in hell?”.

The first question is easy to answer – just by looking at Scripture, we can see that hell exists (Jesus even talks about it).

The second question is the tough one – is there actually anybody in hell, or will there be anybody? We can hope, I guess, that God has mercy on everyone who lived or ever will live. The thing is, though, that we can’t know whether that’s true or not – until the end of time, and then we’ll know for sure!

One thing is interesting: although the Church will name saints (that is, people who the Church says are definitely in heaven), it will never name people in hell. We never know what happens to a person in their last moments of life on earth – there’s always the chance for repentence, and always a chance that at the last second of life, they cry out, “God, save me! I’m sorry!” and that God does forgive them. Even the worst person ever in the history of the world has that chance for forgiveness. So, we can never say, “so-and-so is definitely in hell.”

If that’s what your teacher is saying – that we don’t know who, if anyone, is in hell – then what she’s saying is possible according to the teachings of the Church. If she’s saying “hell doesn’t exist”, though… well, that’s a totally different thing…

Blessings,

G.

She also denies Satan.

Interesting. How does she justify this belief?

Does she realise that as a Catholic denying infallible Church teachings is heresy?

Well here are a few quotes that show that the enemy does indeed exist and he has his dwelling which is Hell.

I Chronicles
21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel

Job
1:9 Then Satan answered Jehovah, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Zechariah
3:1 And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of Jehovah, and Satan standing at his right hand to be his adversary.
3:2 And Jehovah said unto Satan, Jehovah rebuke thee, O Satan; yea, Jehovah that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

Matthew
4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
4:11 Then the devil leaveth him; and behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Luke
10:17 And the seventy returned with joy, saying, Lord, even the demons are subject unto us in thy name.
10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan fallen as lightning from heaven.
10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you.

Acts
26:18 to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among them that are sanctified by faith in me.

II Corinthians
2:11 that no advantage may be gained over us by Satan: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
2:14 And no marvel; for even Satan fashioneth himself into an angel of light

FWIW - I wrote a small piece a while back on a closely related question. It includes about a dozen good quotes from Saints (mostly Doctors of the Church). See: Is hell empty?

Your Catholic Studies teacher seems to be strangely unaware of the plain teachings of the Catechism of the Catholic Church on this subject, or is in denial of them.

CCC #1035:
The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, “eternal fire.” The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

CCC #1056:
Following the example of Christ, the Church warns the faithful of the “sad and lamentable reality of eternal death” (GCD 69), also called “hell.”

CCC #1861:
Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

She is one of them Catholics who say “An all loving God would not send anyone to Hell.”

First of all, the Church points out that people are the ones who technically send themselves to hell:
CCC #1037
God predestines no one to go to hell; for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end.

Secondly, Jesus emphatically stated numerous times in the gospels that there would be people who end up in hell. Is it your teacher’s opinion that Jesus was either lying or somehow ignorant of this alleged non-existence of hell?

Can anyone give me proof of Hell from the Catholic Church and tell me what the Early Church Fathers said about Hell?

In terms of proof of hell from Catholic teachings, the above quotes I provided from the Catechism should suffice. Nevertheless, you can also bring up Ludwig Ott’s Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, where he explains the existence of hell from a doctrinal standpoint. For example, visit this website for a brief presentation of Ott’s doctrinal points, focusing on #406 - 408. In my opinion, anyone who rejects the teachings of the Catechism and Ott’s Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma has no business teaching a Catholic Studies course.

In terms of the Early Church Fathers, please visit this link: Early Church Fathers on Hell

Everyone please pray that the Holy Spirit leads her to the truth.

I will indeed do so, especially because…
CCC #2089:
Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same

According to Canon Law, those who are culpable of an act of heresy automatically cause themselves to be excommunicated (see this article for details).

First of all, the existence of angels (in general) is a doctrine of the faith of the Catholic Church. Here is a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**CCC #328: **
The existence of the spiritual, non-corporeal beings that Sacred Scripture usually calls “angels” is a truth of faith. The witness of Scripture is as clear as the unanimity of Tradition.

Secondly, the Catechism teaches that some of the angels fell from grace, and that Satan is one of them:

CCC #391:
Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy. Scripture and the Church’s Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called “Satan” or the “devil”.The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: “The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing.”

Moreover, consider these words of Pope Paul IV:

“We come face to face with sin which is a perversion of human freedom and the profound cause of death because it involves detachment from God, the source of life. And then sin in its turn becomes the occasion and the effect of interference in us and our work by a dark, hostile agent, the Devil. Evil is not merely an absence of something but an active force, a living, spiritual being that is perverted and that perverts others. It is a terrible reality, mysterious and frightening.” (emphasis added)

(From Pope Paul VI’s Confronting the Devil’s Power)

Hell is simply a discussion of the ancient Philosopher of the Stone, the ancient Priests who understood ATOMIC POWER. Why it is in the atom break that you will see the Beast itself in the cloud formations…burnt light wavelengths or the fall of the light wave lengths or angelic sound waves…sound waves that Father, God the Light had been singing for our LIFE FORCE. These burnt light wave lengths fall out into the Earth holes/wells inside Earth where the nuclear event took place inside the Earth stone.

Think about it yourself…light harmonics in the upper atmosphere would be singing with beautiful sound and burning them would cause horrible sound…this is the act or FALL OF THE ANGELS as the function of altering the Earth Heaven into a fall into Hell by burning the light wave lengths.

Hence it HAS NOTHING TO DO with humanity…we never fell from Light, we were purposely created by Father after a very long time span occurred, to heal his own lost light sound that got burnt in a mistake that he himself made in light. So no HUMAN goes to hell it is only discussing atomic energy.

Father is light consciousness, pure love itself and it is unconditional, meaning that we are not to blame for his mistake and we already suffer enough in human life because he made a mistake. Remember we follow the Christ consciousness path, the sacrifice he gave of his own spirit to cause us to live for him.

I was told in an angelic contact that if you are an evil human being on Earth, when you die you are not recognized by Father as his spirit…love and do not have a conscious place with him in his light as a self, that you simply fade into the light and become a part of Heaven.

So there is an outcome for being evil on Earth because evil is actually a conscious choice, and as Father is healing is own light consciousness that he sacrificed to keep his light safe, he is recognizing where his mistake was made. Those humans who do not demonstrate the love of his spirit show him that they are only a part of his Heaven’ light sound and not the consciousness he lost.

You (and especially your parents) need to go to the person in charge of your religious instruction classes and complain that you are being taught heresy. (The technical name of this heresy is Universalism.) If you get no help there, contact your local bishop.

Like most heresies, this one contains a grain of truth: God is all-loving. However, your teacher is elevating God’s mercy at the expense of His justice. God is both merciful ***and just. ***

This heresy is extremely dangerous because it is teaching your fellow students they can sin with impunity. Please do not delay doing something about this.

And BTW, Jordan, you’re awfully smart for a 14 year old!!! :slight_smile:

I note you’re posting from Australia. I don’t know if the aussie’s have ‘seperation of church and State’ doctrine, as they do here, but my first question is if your school is private Catholic, or public?

If PC, sugggest meeting with your parish priest, and advising him of what she is teaching.

If public, then my advice would be to study, answer what she wants to hear on her tests, in order to get the grade you need/want, then, after you have finished with her class and she no longer has jurisdiction/authority over you, writer her a letter explaining why she’s wrong. And, of course, if you know to what parish she pertains, take it up with her parish priest.

Now, I should caveat the above–and by the abvove, I mean every reply to this theread-- with this–YOU SHOULD FIRST TAKE THIS UP WITH YOUR PARENTS–AND FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE. If you want to share some of teh feed back here, fine, but first and foremost, respect your parents’ authority.

VIVAT JESUS!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.