Proof that God is loving in the OT

To help with people who call God cruel.

Rather than just moving His people around, watching them suffer(Egypt, Babylon), pulling them out; and annihilating people that don’t please Him.

I know that God is love, but I would like to defend the statement from the OT.

You want verses?

There are lots but they don’t do justice to the story, the narrative thread contained in the Bible. Everytime Israel suffered it was because they forsook the convenant which made them God’s children. It even says so right in the ten commandments…

you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:5-6)

Anyone who wants to know God’s love should read the Books of Esther and Judith.

-Tim-

Plus all the covenants!
Proof that God is wanting us to thrive and be holy.

Try the Book of Psalms, and I think several of the later OT prophets wrote of God’s providence, mercy, and love. Sorry, I can’t look up chapter and verse right now.

Genesis 1: 26-27.

Can anyone deny that these two verses are the greatest proof that God loves us forever?

Proof? Proof runs throughout the entire first five books of the OT, in the laws God created to distinguish the Jews from the other countries. It shows a God who gives guidance on how to live in a way that truly benefits humans:

Example 1, It has only recently become clear how bad pork really is, being linked to multiple scleroris, liver cancer, and cirrhosis of the liver. Eating pork is forbidden in the OT. Source: psychologytoday.com/blog/perfect-health-diet/201202/is-pork-still-dangerous
Example 2,** the Jews were told to not burn their children. Yes, people actually needed to be told that, since it was common practice amongst surrounding Canaanite nations.

Example 3 Homosexuality was banned in the OT, and modern science shows us why it is dangerous to a nations health. “In 2013 gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 75% of primary and secondary syphilis cases in the United States.” So that is 75% of ALL CASES in the country, from a group that doesn’t make up more than 3% according to census!

This is just a small sample of God’s beneficial guidance.

God is love because he sends the sun to shine on the just and the unjust, rain, too! He doesn’t withhold what we need to survive just because we do something evil…

Wisdom 11:25:
’For thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which thou hast made: for thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it.'

If people believed in the malice of sin, they would not think God harsh.

This is very good. Thank you for this.

-Tim-

Or is it just a deception:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=13651875#

rationalchristianity.net/ot_love.html

Sense the FALL of Adam & Eve man’s sinful nature

CONCUPISCENCE." Insubordination of man’s desires to the dictates of reason, and the propensity of human nature to sin as a result of original sin. More commonly, it refers to the spontaneous movement of the sensitive appetites toward whatever the imagination portrays as pleasant and away from whatever it portrays as painful. However, concupiscence also includes the unruly desires of the will, such as pride, ambition, and envy". Fr. Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary

God’s Divine sense of fairness and Justice have consistently DEMANDED that men prove & then prove time N’ again there love and fidelity to Him.

Isa. 43: 7 & 21 “[7] every one who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.” “the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise”

God’s harshness is in FACT Divine Justice being made evident.

Does NOT God have not only THEE right; but factually the grave MORAL responsibility to reward good and punish evil? OF course He does.:rolleyes:

There is no greater OT evidence than the CALL of Abram

** Gen 12:1-3**
“And the Lord said to Abram: Go forth out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and out of thy father’ s house, and come into the land which I shall shew thee. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and magnify thy name, and thou shalt be blessed. I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curse thee, and IN THEE shall all the kindred of the earth be blessed”

& the story of the GREAT Exodus found throughout the Book of that name.:

** Exodus 15:26**
Saying: If thou wilt hear the voice of the Lord thy God, and do what is right before him, and obey his commandments, and keep all his precepts, none of the evils that I laid upon Egypt, will I bring upon thee: for I am the Lord thy healer

The Story of King David is another example of God’s Merciful Love

** 2 Samuel 8:11**
And king David dedicated them to the Lord, together with the silver and gold that he had dedicated of all the nations, which he had subdued: [WITH GOD’s Providential help]

And then ALL of the OT prophesies of the coming Messiah

In the imagery of the prophets, “spirit” and “fire” were associated with purification and restoration. The Old Testament prophets warned of a purifying fire that would refine the souls of God’s people by burning away what was impure and purifying the souls of the repentant sinner (Is 4:4; 66:24; Joel 2:30; Zech 13:9; Mal 3:2-4/4:1). They also promised an outpouring of the Spirit of God when God came to redeem His people (Is 32:15; 31:31-34; 40:24;41:16; 44:3;Jer 4:11-16; 23:19; 30:23: 31:31-34; Ez 13:11;36:25-27; 39:29;Joel 2:28-29). These were prophecies that were very familiar to the people and the significant word clues and actions that John used would have triggered the recall of these prophecies.

Micah 5:2: But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.

Hosea 11:1: When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.

Isaiah 9:6-7: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

In reading the bible it is natural to find what we’d LIKE to find. That my friend is a very human tendency.

2Peter 1: 19-21
And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: [20] **Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. **[21] For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost.

[Douay explanation]

[20] No prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation: This shews plainly that the scriptures are not to be expounded by any one’s private judgment or private spirit, because every part of the holy scriptures were written by men inspired by the Holy Ghost, and declared as such by the Church; therefore they are not to be interpreted but by the Spirit of God, which he hath left, and promised to remain with his Church to guide her in all truth to the end of the world. Some may tell us, that many of our divines interpret the scriptures: they may do so, but they do it always with a submission to the judgment of the Church, and not otherwise. End Quotes

“Whenever something is good it does not depend on us getting our way, but on God getting His way, and whether we do God’s Will depends on us [humbly] loving God. Moreover to love God we must [actually] know God, [not just know OF God].” Bread of Life booklet January 9, 2016”[Mt 7:21]

SEE: **2nd. Peter 3: 14-18 **

Hope this helps you,

Blessings

cbcg.org/series/grace/graceofGod_OT.htm

I heard this today on NPR.

*And salt-a miracle of the first order,
the ace in any argument for God.
Only God could have imagined from
nothingness the pang of salt.

• Excerpt from A Quiet Life by Baron Wormser.*

-Tim-

Yes.

From Genesis 3: God asks Adam and the woman what they have done (God knew what they had done), basically asking to admit or confess what they had done.

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

Genesis 3: God throws Adam and Eve from the Garden, yet look at what God does, gives them garments of skin for their protection.

20 The man named his wife Eve,[c] because she was the mother of all living. 21 And the Lord God made garments of skins for the man[d] and for his wife, and clothed them.

Exodus 32: This is golden calf episode:

God gets mad…7 The Lord said to Moses, “Go down at once! Your people, whom you brought up out of the land of Egypt, have acted perversely; … 9 The Lord said to Moses, “I have seen this people, how stiff-necked they are. 10 Now let me alone, so that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them; and of you I will make a great nation.”

Moses pleads/intercedes…11 But Moses implored the Lord his God, and said, “O Lord, why does your wrath burn hot against your people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce wrath; change your mind and do not bring disaster on your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants, how you swore to them by your own self, saying to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants like the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’”

God softens and does not destroy the Israelites…14 And the Lord changed his mind about the disaster that he planned to bring on his people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.