Proof that the Media is creating the Culture

How can the Church expect to influence the values of the public in competition with hours of media exposure per day???

scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mirroring-behavior

From the article:

"What followed lunch that day was a serendipitous discovery. One of Rizzolatti’s graduate students decided to have an ice cream cone for dessert, which he ate in full view of the wired-up monkey. To his surprise, the electrodes suddenly began to signal a spike in cellular activity in the premotor cortex, even though the monkey was motionless.

After shoveling more food into their mouths, the scientists determined that some of the neurons they were recording from fired when the monkey made certain movements – like bringing a piece of food to its mouth – and when the monkey watched someone make similar movements. In other words, the neurons were mirroring observed actions: when the monkey watched someone perform an action its brain seemed to be simulating neural activity as if the monkey was performing the action itself. These “mirror neurons”, as Rizzolatti later dubbed them, were hypothesized to constitute a brain system responsible for our ability to understand the actions of others. We know about our world because we’ve interacted with it and only by simulating this interaction in our heads can we comprehend the behaviour of someone else.

In 1992, almost a year after the ice cream cone incident, Rizzolatti published a short report in a minor neuroscience journal describing his discovery of mirror neurons. The paper was largely ignored. Then, almost four years later, he published a more detailed account of the finding in the journal Brain that launched a torrent of research – more than 300 papers in the past ten years – into mirror neurons and their properties. As he explained to The New York Times in an interview, "It took us several years to believe what we were seeing.”

I read a couple of years ago that people who watch celebrities on tv begin to think they know the person. When we see someone several times, we are "hardwired" to recognize that person and it follows that we would come to think of them as someone we know personally.

An experiment in recognition can be done that will demonstrate this.
Have a person pick a card from a deck and remember it. Shuffle the deck.
Show the cards to the person one at a time while watching their eyes closely.
When the one they picked turns up, they are amazed when you say, "That's the one."
The reason you know that's the one is because the subject's pupils expand when they recognize the card.

This is how our brains work.

So, expanding this to television, how can we not be influenced by media?

I'll tell you. Start watching less TV. That's all you need to do. Play a board game with your family, pick up a worthwhile hobby, take a class or start being that artist or writer you want to be. Volunteer at a soup kitchen.

The same with movies. I see one or two a year, usually something by PIXAR or a superhero movie. That's it.

Pick up a copy of The Creation of the Media by Paul Starr to get the whole picture.

Start reading the National Catholic Register online and go to Mark Shea's blog.

Peace,
Ed

Or you can just be disciplined and raise your kids to to know the truth and think rationally. That is the only real solution to a poisonous society. Hiding from it will not work. The enemy must be met on whatever battlefield exists or he wins by default.

Only a scientist would think he discovered something new when all he did was validate what we have known for centuries: monkey see, monkey do.

That's an incredibly interesting article...

I don't think you have to throw out the TV, but just because you don't have to throw it out doesn't meant you have to have it either. Watching it shouldn't get substantially greater focus than other pastimes, although it tends to. I have a television, but I just have an antenna (30 dollars, one-time, as opposed to more than 30 a month for at least 24 months? I'll take the first choice), and it's rarely on. Besides, there are far better social things to do with family members--or anyone, really--than watch TV. Occasional movie? Sure. But what about card games, board games, puzzles, art projects, preparing meals, cleaning house, playing outside,...?

It's interesting that a PP said that we begin to feel like we know a person on TV. I've always wondered what I'd feel like if I saw someone whom I've spent a fair amount of time seeing on TV or in videos in person, because I do feel like I know them, even though I know I don't.

The media only has as much power over you as you're willing to give it. Sometimes, it just takes a little bit of introspection to realize how much power you're giving it without realizing it. As for people who don't realize it? Sad: they're more or less trapped.

As a side note, I've noticed that everyone is trying to put homosexual relationships and displays of affection into music videos and such, and I wonder if they're taking this sort of approach: if it's part of the norm and we show people, they will get used to it. And I wonder if it will work...

The media is telling people how to act, what to think and what to believe. Then, they praise people for being open minded, which they are not because they feel peer pressured into doing what the unelected media deems to be "correct." I don't remember voting for their values. We must limit our exposure, otherwise, like the article says, society can't help but become more like their unelected values. Talk about Social Injustices. Sheesh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.